an even more frightening perspective

Coffee talk.
dolomite
Contributor

Re: an even more frightening perspective

Post by dolomite »

It’ll be encouraging when results of the “climate change” fight start to roll in.
Originally Imzcount (Why do politicians think “hope” is a plan ?)
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Feral wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:30 pm When the lib snowflakes changed "Global Warming" to "Climate Change", we all knew it was a hoax. Because that's not how science works.
Right? (Great photo Ousdahl)

Whoa…does this mean we can be friends again? Right before the empire party and everything?!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

100+ degrees and no power…lovely

~4200 in my “hood” in the same boat
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

reminds me I nees to get a new generator
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:12 pm reminds me I nees to get a new generator
we’ve been debating, mainly for cold weather camping (3-fuel option, for sure)

might be a good idea otherwise since this seems to be the new normal
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:22 pm 100+ degrees and no power…lovely

That's sucks, Trad.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Feral wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:42 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:22 pm 100+ degrees and no power…lovely

That's sucks, Trad.
just one of the reasons i’m looking to move
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

going on 3 hours now…wife started moving perishables from fridge to cooler

glad we’ve at least got a basement
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Did you get your power back yet Trad?
Derek Cressman
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Feral wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:37 am Did you get your power back yet Trad?
yes, fortunately

off from 11:30 to 4, then another hiccup from 5-6…odd

others in our hood weren’t so lucky
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My bro lost his power Friday afternoon and it hasn't come back since.
In between Friday and Monday morning, a tree limb from his neighbors tree, probably damaged from the storm, came down on his fence and took out another power line.
This same tree had a limb go down in his property, also taking out his fence and power line, which took out power to 7,000 people.

My bro's insurance paid for it but he had an arborist come out to inspect his neighbors tree and the arborist said that the tree wasn't in good condition and multiple limbs would likely come down in a future storm. He contacted his insurance company and they helped him craft a letter to send which he documented and forwarded to his insurance company.

Chances that his neighbor gonna be paying for this one are not zero.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

this thread reminds me of more and more things I need tonadd to my list. First the generator....now I gotta remember to get up and limb some of the tree that are encroaching on my power lines. Since they are on my property and not on the county road easement I suppose its my deal
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:26 pm this thread reminds me of more and more things I need tonadd to my list. First the generator....now I gotta remember to get up and limb some of the tree that are encroaching on my power lines. Since they are on my property and not on the county road easement I suppose its my deal
"If you can't remember whether or not you need toilet paper, buy toilet paper."
RMan
Derek Cressman
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:19 pm

Just had a whole house generator linked into the gas line installed at our home this week. It was a $13,000 investment, but, since power companies seem to be fine with letting people go without for weeks at a time in these parts, it is peace of mind. If I were living in the Tulsa area, I'd be furious. They've had multiple multi-day outages over the last month.
Imagine a life so devoid of accomplishments that you feel the need to lie about working at McDonald’s.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:07 pm

Just had a whole house generator linked into the gas line installed at our home this week. It was a $13,000 investment, but, since power companies seem to be fine with letting people go without for weeks at a time in these parts, it is peace of mind. If I were living in the Tulsa area, I'd be furious. They've had multiple multi-day outages over the last month.
zero sympathy for climate change deniers

maybe you should pray for power
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:11 am
JKLivin wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:07 pm

zero sympathy for climate change deniers

maybe you should pray for power
It's not climate change. It is power companies like Consumers Energy in Michigan, who pay their CEO a $6 million bonus last year and at the same time cry poverty and claim they can't maintain the trees around their power lines or upgrade their delivery system. They cut corners at the lower levels of the organization and then point fingers when the inevitable storm comes.
Imagine a life so devoid of accomplishments that you feel the need to lie about working at McDonald’s.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Our power company, despite the general animosity from the population against it, will trim limbs of your trees surrounding their lines on request.

We called in and they came within a couple days.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:49 am Our power company, despite the general animosity from the population against it, will trim limbs of your trees surrounding their lines on request.

That's awesome. I wish it were that way here.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:49 am Our power company, despite the general animosity from the population against it, will trim limbs of your trees surrounding their lines on request.

Ours does the same. The only problem is that they pretty much hack the entire side of the tree off and it looks like shit. Yet another example of "you get what you pay for".
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:54 pm and this isn’t getting near as much attention as it should be, imo:

https://www.un.org/en/chronicle/article ... bed-mining

the UN International Seabed Authority is getting ready to rule on initial regulations for opening up parts of the deep ocean to mineral extraction (namely, polymetallic nodules)

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2023/07/13 ... cal-threat

climate solution? ecological threat? both?

the UN has said that the ocean bed belongs to all of humanity, yet a small group of people (some with direct ties to mining companies) are likely going to be deciding it’s fate
https://funds-europe.com/news/financial ... sea-mining

A group of 36 financial institutions managing over 3.3 trillion euros in assets has released a joint statement calling on governments to refrain from deep-sea mining until its potential risks are understood.