Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:48 am
TDub wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:19 pm I think these anecdotes are all a bit different than the leader of the free world calling another countries leader by the name of its invader
Volodymyr Vladimir
Tomotoe Potatoe

Doesn't bother me much.
the only person it SHOULD bother (which it hasn’t appeared to) is Zelenskyy himself
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:19 pm I think these anecdotes are all a bit different than the leader of the free world calling another countries leader by the name of its invader
Volodymyr Vladimir
Tomotoe Potatoe

Doesn't bother me much.
if I'm a carpenter and I use a screw where it should be a nail it can be a big difference.......even if most people think it doesn't matter much.

Point being....hes the big boss....he should know better. Its an important distinction on the world stage.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:29 am
Volodymyr Vladimir
Tomotoe Potatoe

Doesn't bother me much.
if I'm a carpenter and I use a screw where it should be a nail it can be a big difference.......even if most people think it doesn't matter much.

Point being....hes the big boss....he should know better. Its an important distinction on the world stage.
We can make a big deal out of just about anything if we try hard enough.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:59 am

Volodymyr Vladimir
Tomotoe Potatoe

Doesn't bother me much.

^^^

Is it possible that a guy who wears a variation of this outfit to every meeting with heads of state and who is getting Billions of dollars of support from the US to help save his country from an existential threat likely to give a shit about that?

https://flic.kr/p/2oPshrE
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:59 am

Volodymyr Vladimir
Tomotoe Potatoe

Doesn't bother me much.

Fuck.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

so helpful
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

It'll be OK, fatty.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

During his 1968 presidential election campaign, Nixon told America he had a "secret plan" to end the Vietnam war. He was lying.

Instead, in violation of US law, i.e., the Logan Act, which prohibits unauthorized persons from intervening in disputes between the United States and foreign governments, Nixon was working behind the scenes to convince the South Vietnamese government officials to resist LBJ's efforts to negotiate a peace treaty. They complied and the peace talks failed and LBJ's hopes of reelection died with them. Nixon had promised the S Vietnamese they'd get a better deal if they waited until he was president, and the war continued for another 5 years and an additional ~ 25,000 more American lives were lost...

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat ... wsrc%5Etfw
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:03 pm During his 1968 presidential election campaign, Nixon told America he had a "secret plan" to end the Vietnam war. He was lying.

Instead, in violation of US law, i.e., the Logan Act, which prohibits unauthorized persons from intervening in disputes between the United States and foreign governments, Nixon was working behind the scenes to convince the South Vietnamese government officials to resist LBJ's efforts to negotiate a peace treaty. They complied and the peace talks failed and LBJ's hopes of reelection died with them. Nixon had promised the S Vietnamese they'd get a better deal if they waited until he was president, and the war continued for another 5 years and an additional ~ 25,000 more American lives were lost...

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat ... wsrc%5Etfw
What this tweet and clip omits is the other side of Trump’s purported peace plan. Which is to require Zelenskyy to give up territory to Russia.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sooo

about this whole Ukrainian counter-offensive…
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

You're falling into the trap.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

at the risk of opening a can of worms…

had Ukraine been given all of this support initially, rather than as a trickle, russia very likely wouldn’t have had the level of opportunity to dig in and fortify

nobody paying attention thought the counteroffensive would be swift and decisive
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Is it the case that Ukraine is really in the fight yet (on the counter-offensive)?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:18 am Is it the case that Ukraine is really in the fight yet (on the counter-offensive)?
i don’t think so

it seems that everything we’ve seen thus far has been probing attacks looking for weaknesses and to gauge the response

i do think that the dam destruction threw a major wrinkle into the initial plans…but that’s just speculation
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:30 am You're falling into the trap.
?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:37 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:30 am You're falling into the trap.
?
I took your post to be skepticism about the success (or lack of success) of the counter-offensive.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ah.

I was mostly just inquiring.

But yea, if there WAS any success to the Ukrainian counter-offensive, you gotta figure we’d be hearing all about it from the western war machine media, who would likely be cheering on such success.

But instead, all I recall hearing about it lately is, Ukraine blew up a bridge to Crimea (again)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:37 pm Ah.

I was mostly just inquiring.

But yea, if there WAS any success to the Ukrainian counter-offensive, you gotta figure we’d be hearing all about it from the western war machine media, who would likely be cheering on such success.

But instead, all I recall hearing about it lately is, Ukraine blew up a bridge to Crimea (again)
One, this isn't a game. Ukraine has every reason to want to control the narrative here, which may (or may not!) include giving accurate real-time updates as to their successes and failures.

Two, I'm not even sure (see point one) that there is yet even a counteroffensive that COULD be successful or not.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Fair enough. Maybe we just haven’t heard more out of strategic concerns.

Honestly, why I asked.

And, yea. I dunno what a successful counteroffensive would even look like, or whether it’s even possible.

That’s why I’ve consistently called for a diplomatic peace resolution, rather than this escalate and perpetuate stuff we got going instead.