WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Post by ousdahl »

Meh, every generation ever likes to lecture its successors about how entitled they are.

(…all while the fact of the matter is boomers are hoarding more wealth and resources than any generation ever….at least in Mercian history…spare me the “but in ancient so-and-so”)
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:36 am Meh, every generation ever likes to lecture its successors about how entitled they are.

(…all while the fact of the matter is boomers are hoarding more wealth and resources than any generation ever….at least in Mercian history…spare me the “but in ancient so-and-so”)
there’s definitely some truth to that, but it sure seems like NIL has exacerbated the situation

not only are “they” entitled to playing time, they’re also now entitled to phat paychecks
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Meh, considering how much money is caught up in every other facet of college hoops, I’m ok with that. It was long overdue
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i don’t necessarily disagree, but the point was that such sentiments of entitlement can lead to difficulties with team chemistry, potentially leading to (or resulting from) kids ultimately transferring
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:36 am Meh, every generation ever likes to lecture its successors about how entitled they are.

Maybe so, but how do you build a team - chemistry, cohesiveness, commitment - when everybody is saying "I need to be the star right now or I'm outta here"? It is decidedly inconvenient that basketball is a team sport.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Honestly the star idea is a team killer. Some of my least favorite highlights are with program guys thinking about their next stop instead of rebounding. It is becoming an epidemic of posse poisoning.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:17 pm

Maybe so, but how do you build a team - chemistry, cohesiveness, commitment - when everybody is saying "I need to be the star right now or I'm outta here"? It is decidedly inconvenient that basketball is a team sport.
I’m just not sure the issue is as extreme as this post makes it sound.

Even pre-transfer era, considerable turnover still existed, and rosters hardly ever look the same year-to-year.

Our track record with transfers - even one-year transfers - is pretty good.

And Self is pretty good about not recruiting or giving playing time to “star” (ball hog) types.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Heck, if anything, our less successful teams woulda been better off if they DID have a ball hog who wanted to be a star, rather than a bunch of doods who almost hesitated to just go make something happen
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I think that's an issue with the transfer portal, not NIL. You can make bank without being the star. Maybe not as much as the star, but better than when being the star was the only way to get eventually paid.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Mjl wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:34 pm

I think that's an issue with the transfer portal, not NIL. You can make bank without being the star. Maybe not as much as the star, but better than when being the star was the only way to get eventually paid.
Absolutely agree.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Self is a master of all.
And I’d say he is very well geared in working in the new landscape they were already paying their dudes.
I don’t doubt that a lot of me first guys fuck up the chemistry but good coaching staffs know how to mold that or weed em out.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Who might count as a ball hog here?

At KU…like, BIFM?

In college at large?

And yea it’s an issue with the transfer portal but the thing about the transfer portal is NIL is a factor there too
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:25 pm Who might count as a ball hog here?

At KU…like, BIFM?

In college at large?

And yea it’s an issue with the transfer portal but the thing about the transfer portal is NIL is a factor there too
If anything, when I look back at the past decade or so, there are more cases of guys we all wish would have taken more shots and been more aggressive. Self is good at getting guys to buy into unselfish play.
Last edited by ChicagoHawk on Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

Young Jalen took some me-first shots, but thank the lord for that mentality last season
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://throughthephog.com/2023/08/27/k ... dickinson/

if he’s getting into opponents’ heads, fine

but, i hope the name on the front of his jersey doesn’t take a back seat to the name in the back
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

me too
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

6 years from now i will have forgotten hd was ever a JAYHAWK.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

senility is a bitch
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:43 pm 6 years from now i will have forgotten hd was ever a JAYHAWK.
Not if he leads them to a Final Four or better.