Ugh.
JKLivin
Contributor

Re: Vivek ramaswamy

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:53 pm
JKLivin wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:57 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:48 pm

But that's where things get muddy, right?

I personally think a math problem that just so happens to be about little JK's two moms, or little JFish's two dads, is an EXCELLENT way to communicate to the kiddos that having two moms or two dads is so mundane, so fucking boring, as to be fodder for a math problem.
Meh. I'm not concerned about the two moms. I have a gay son, and public school didn't make him that way, nor is church going to un-gay him. I'm concerned with getting distracted from teaching kids the facts and skills they need to be successful.

As someone who has been in higher education for a quarter of a century, I can assure you that they don't read well, can't write, refuse to follow instructions, don't accept feedback, and can't do simple math. Are there exceptions to the rule? Sure. But, by and large, it is starkly different than when I was in college. Doesn't bode well for the future of our country.
I went to college at age 31 twenty years ago. Most of the 18 year olds I encountered could be described exactly as you just stated. I proofread an English paper that a girl wrote about health care in hospitals. The only problem was that she used the word "hospitable" in place of "hospital". Not once. Every time.

You're just getting older and crankier in thinking that it is significantly worse now. I'd agree that writing skills are probably declining as fewer people actually have to write things anymore. Kids are generally more openly rude to adults now and it's probably not a coincidence that this is a problem amongst adults these days as well. They are likely learning that behavior at home.

The rest? It's really not as different as you claim.
I taught my first class in 2000. I have definitely seen a downward trajectory overall.

There were a few like the girl you described when I started, but more than half were literate and genuinely accepted/acted upon grading notes such that I could see improvement over the course of a semester.

Today, the class is 98% “hospitable” students, most of whom will tell you to your face that they not only didn’t do the readings, but that they don’t plan to buy the textbook.

For about five years I bought three or four of the books out of my own pocket and offered them, in addition to my free desk copy, to students who didn’t buy the text. I averaged one taker a semester.

Am I old and cranky? If 53 (for a few more days) is old, then, yes. Is it decidedly worse than it was when I was 30? Yup.
“Joe Biden became mentally impaired. But Kamala? She was born that way.” - President Donald J. Trump
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:38 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:37 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:45 pm

I'm just a crazy lefty, I know, but: it sure fucking seems like the "worried about ideological indoctrination" camp is the camp YOU'RE in.

Maybe YOU should stop being concerned with ensuring the schools are vectors for religion.
I'm not religious and don't want religion in schools.

Private schools can do that shit
Ok I guess. But the people you support DO push religion in schools.

This isn't a salad bar. It's a wedding. Pick the beef, the mushrooms are coming right along.
I don't support people. I support ideas. I don't blindly follow people. I don't support religion being forced on people anymore than trans ideology.

But my biggest problem with the department of education is that they are doing a piss poor job of education our nations future
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And you can argue it's deliberate. The system doesn't want intelligent indepemdent capable free thinking adults.

All they want is to train you to be a part of the system, dependent on the system. To be another tax paying cog in the machine
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:34 pm

This isn't a salad bar. It's a wedding. Pick the beef, the mushrooms are coming right along.
I don't support people. I support ideas. I don't blindly follow people. I don't support religion being forced on people anymore than trans ideology.

But my biggest problem with the department of education is that they are doing a piss poor job of education our nations future
You, ah, tell 'em.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

This is a generation of kids who care more for each other than ours did. They are plenty bright and deserve our best investment in their welfare.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Sparko wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:30 pm This is a generation of kids who care more for each other than ours did. They are plenty bright and deserve our best investment in their welfare.
Thank you for this.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Overlander wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:49 pm
Sparko wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:30 pm This is a generation of kids who care more for each other than ours did. They are plenty bright and deserve our best investment in their welfare.
Thank you for this.
^^^

I felt the same reading that, Overlander. Having met you, I'm not surprised.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

randylahey wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:34 pm

I don't blindly follow people.
The laughs are strong with this one.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

No wonder Randy loves this twat. He won’t answer basic questions.

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:55 pm No wonder Randy loves this twat. He won’t answer basic questions.

Probably can't describe the 1st amendment either.
Broham
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:54 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:55 pm No wonder Randy loves this twat. He won’t answer basic questions.

Probably can't describe the 1st amendment either.
What I want to talk about, isn't freedom of speech, but BIG TECH CENSORSHIP that violates Americans' first amendment rights!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

God smacks VGR with the truth:
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Ramaswamy - I really didn't like the pizza I had at Jimmy Pesto's.
Reporter - What didn't you like about it?
Ramaswamy - When I am elected president I will make it a criminal offense to sell bad pizza.
Reporter - What didn't you like about the pizza you ate at Jimmy Pesto's?
Ramaswamy - I feel every pizza place should give their customers free garlic bread and when I am elected President I will make it a requirement.
Reporter - What didn't you like about the pizza at Jimmy Pesto's. On July 18th 2023 you tweeted you didn't like the pizza at Jimmy Pesto's. Your words. So please tell me/us what you didn't like about it.
Ramaswamy - Why are you mixing apples and oranges? When I am elected President I will make it illegal to charge more for a 12 inch deep dish pizza than a 12 inch thin crust pizza - regardless that it costs the restaurant more money to make a deep dish pizza than a thin crust pizza. Did you know that the average pizza consumer in the United States makes $31 an hour? When I am elected president I will make it illegal to sell a pizza that costs more than 72.5% of the national hourly wage.
Reporter - For the fourth fucking time you brown fuck, what didn't you like about the pizza at Jimmy Pesto's?
Ramaswamy - Why did you call me a brown fuck? In the United States, every day one in every 4.96453535 brown person is called a brown fuck by someone who is at least 6 feet tall and wearing a blue, red, or black colored shirt. When I am elected President I will make it illegal for anyone over 6 feet tall to call someone a brown fuck if they are wearing anything other than a white shirt.
Blah blah blah blah blah........
randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

#WokeGotcha
“Joe Biden became mentally impaired. But Kamala? She was born that way.” - President Donald J. Trump
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Sparko wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:26 pm God smacks VGR with the truth:
The same "ideals" that black people should be owned and subservient and women don't have the right to vote?
randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:59 pm#WokeGotcha
It’s a gotcha to ask someone to clarify their own words?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:24 pm
Have you heard the word salad coming out of Brandon’s mouth lately?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:06 pm
Always deflect-deflect-deflect. Someone else. Both sides. What about.

This word salad from Vivek, who is the subject of this thread, is precisely the sort of doublespeak I identified a couple weeks ago. He is a scammer, and it is HIGHLY inconvenient for him, at present, to have to stand behind any criticism of Trump.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Were we talking about “Brandon”?

Whoever that is, I assume some sophomoric nickname that you right wing tards are so fond of ever since your school yard bully got you feeling all tight in your shorts?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:14 pm

Always deflect-deflect-deflect. Someone else. Both sides. What about.

This word salad from Vivek, who is the subject of this thread, is precisely the sort of doublespeak I identified a couple weeks ago. He is a scammer, and it is HIGHLY inconvenient for him, at present, to have to stand behind any criticism of Trump.
I would argue that Ramaswamy understands that, no matter what he says, the media is going to be adversarial.

Trump used it to his advantage. VGR is exercising vicarious learning, per Albert Bandura.