It's Game Day, Ladies and Gentlemen

Kansas Basketball.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: It's Game Day, Ladies and Gentlemen

Post by Shirley »

Hey pdub look!

Tonight's game is on ESPN, so you should be able to watch it.

All you have to do is stay up until at least 10:30, (probably later), for it to start.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Shaka Smart returns to face the Jayhawks.
I will not be watching.
Let me know how it goes!
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:09 am Shaka Smart returns to face the Jayhawks.
I will not be watching.
Let me know how it goes!
Not watching for any particular reason?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:16 am
I will not be watching.
Let me know how it goes!
1. Likely 10:40 PM tip and I have to get up tomorrow to hit the road to drive 3+ hours.
2. Don't care about the Jayhawks in this CBB environment as much as I used to.

1 more weight than 2.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:18 am
I will not be watching.
Let me know how it goes!
1. Likely 10:40 PM tip and I have to get up tomorrow to hit the road to drive 3+ hours.

1 more weight than 2.
I was wondering if it was 2.

That sucks.

I think it hasn't been as bad as I expected. I truly expected to dislike KM last year and HD this year because of why it "felt" like they came here.

Those 2 have been pleasant surprises. Good team guys. Not selfish. Etc.

But, Arterio Morris not so much.

And I hate the feeling of force outs. Udeh in particular, even though he isn't doing as well as I expected at TCU.

The NIL money hasn't ruined the sport as much as I expected it to. But it has changed the feel of college athletics for sure.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I've watched more Celtics quite a bit more this season than KU ( i've seen one KU game and I fell asleep for a tiny bit of it ).
I dunno if that stays the same for a full regular season - it never has before - but I won't get ESPN+ this year because of 2, and I get NESN, so maybe it will by default.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:15 am

1 more weight than 2.

That sucks.

I think it hasn't been as bad as I expected. I truly expected to dislike KM last year and HD this year because of why it "felt" like they came here.

And I hate the feeling of force outs. Udeh in particular, even though he isn't doing as well as I expected at TCU.

The NIL money hasn't ruined the sport as much as I expected it to. But it has changed the feel of college athletics for sure.
Udeh wasn't forced out at all. KU had a scholarship spot for him and he would play a lot if he was here this year. He is playing 14.8 minutes a game at TCU. Anyone who doesn't think he'd be getting that at KU this season is just being deliberately stupid. Parker freaking Braun is playing 13.8 mpg...

He likely simply got an attractive payday from TCU boosters to leave our program and join them, plain and simple. Stop saying he was forced out, he clearly wasn't.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He figured his role at KU wouldn't be nearly as big as his role at TCU.
I think he will ultimately be correct bc:
A. I think he'll get more than 14.8 MPG at TCU when all is said and done
and B. I don't think he'd get 14.8 MPG with KJ and Hunter Moneybags healthy
and C. I'm not being deliberately stupid.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:03 am

1 more weight than 2.

That sucks.

Udeh wasn't forced out at all. KU had a scholarship spot for him and he would play a lot if he was here this year. He is playing 14.8 minutes a game at TCU. Anyone who doesn't think he'd be getting that at KU this season is just being deliberately stupid. Parker freaking Braun is playing 13.8 mpg...

He likely simply got an attractive payday from TCU boosters to leave our program and join them, plain and simple. Stop saying he was forced out, he clearly wasn't.
Parker Braun can play alongside HD. Udeh can't. HD is going to average about 30mpg this season. Udeh would play less at KU this year than at TCU imo (quite clearly).

You're making more assumptions than I am it seems like. My assumption is Udeh would get paid better to play at KU than TCU. From what I can see he didn't leave for the money. He left because he didn't want to sit behind HD for 1, maybe 2, years.

I absolutely think several of our players were forced out or convinced it'd be in their best interest to change schools. It has happened numerous times over the years. It's an ugly part of the game, but it is absolutely part of it.

We are on a scholarship reduction penalty. So while technically we "had" scholarships available, we also went ahead and got the penalty out of the way by not using them.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:34 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:03 am

That sucks.

Parker Braun can play alongside HD. Udeh can't. HD is going to average about 30mpg this season. Udeh would play less at KU this year than at TCU imo (quite clearly).

You're making more assumptions than I am it seems like. My assumption is Udeh would get paid better to play at KU than TCU. From what I can see he didn't leave for the money. He left because he didn't want to sit behind HD for 1, maybe 2, years.

I absolutely think several of our players were forced out or convinced it'd be in their best interest to change schools. It has happened numerous times over the years. It's an ugly part of the game, but it is absolutely part of it.

We are on a scholarship reduction penalty. So while technically we "had" scholarships available, we also went ahead and got the penalty out of the way by not using them.
I don't see any reason why Udeh couldn't be out there at the same time as Dickinson for a few minutes at a time since that would be all it would be is a few minutes in an entire game.

KU had 2 open scholarships when Udeh left, not including his. The scholarship limit reductions have zero to do with his decision so not sure why to even mention it. The certainly would have rather had Udeh that get the scholarship burn over with a year earlier.

Your entire case seems to be "Kansas forced him to leave by signing Dickinson" which is to me a dubious use of the word "forced". KU is unquestionably more of a national title contender with Dickinson than without him, even if Udeh stayed this season with no Dickinson transfer. It just feels like an attempt to add credibility to an argument against the transfer market to make it sound less like a grumpy old man claim of "I just don't like this new way".
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

They are ranked 4th? Didn't realize that.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:37 pm I don't see any reason why Udeh couldn't be out there at the same time as Dickinson for a few minutes at a time since that would be all it would be is a few minutes in an entire game.

Your entire case seems to be "Kansas forced him to leave by signing Dickinson" which is to me a dubious use of the word "forced". KU is unquestionably more of a national title contender with Dickinson than without him, even if Udeh stayed this season with no Dickinson transfer. It just feels like an attempt to add credibility to an argument against the transfer market to make it sound less like a grumpy old man claim of "I just don't like this new way".
If you think HD and Udeh could be out there together, especially defensively, then I might suggest it's you who is now being intentionally stupid.

As far as the old man thing, for the record, i like the transfer rules. They benefit KU.

Even if Udeh was a force out by default and not a true force out, I was still a fan of his and was excited to watch him develop.

I wasn't sold on HD and didn't "get it" at the time. I do now. HD is perfect for this team. He is probably going to win NPOY. He fits so perfectly with DH KM and Kj. Really makes me wish Gradey stayed for a 2nd year. We'd be an almost perfect team with GD at the 2.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Put me in the camp of Udeh and Hunter wouldn't work all that well on the court together, as well.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Put me in the camp of that Bill Self can figure out how to make two talented players work out together no matter what their skills are. I can't think of a time where he ever failed at that.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

That is a ridiculous oversimplification.

And I am sure there are multiple examples of instances where fit/skills have mattered in who plays. That doesn't make sense.

Moving on:

Marquette beat Illinois. This should be an awesome matchup. DH facing off against their star PG will be fun to watch.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:43 pm Put me in the camp of that Bill Self can figure out how to make two talented players work out together no matter what their skills are. I can't think of a time where he ever failed at that.
Sure.
But I don't think he'd need to, nor would he try, to force that relationship if it didn't work.
And i'm in the camp of that it wouldn't work.

Hunter is slow AF and takes up a lot of space.
Udeh is fast for his size straight line but is still pretty slow AF.
They both will score a lot out of the block.

Dedric ( who Hunter gets comped to bc of his tude ) was a different player than Hunter - but Dok was a similar player to Udeh. I think THAT relationship might have worked.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Did anyone watch Marquette and UCLA play last night? How do we match up against Marquette?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

AlOerter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:38 pm Did anyone watch Marquette and UCLA play last night? How do we match up against Marquette?
Their PG is their most important player. If DH can lock him down then their offense will struggle. Their bigs will struggle with HD scoring (but so will pretty much everyone)...but they play good defense from what I've seen against Illinois and last night. I am guessing they'll chuck some 3s tonight and hope they have a hot shooting night. If our main guys can stay out of foul trouble we should be able to grind them to death. Hopefully we can hit a few 3s if they come out shooting unusually well (like teams tend to do to us on occasion).

I think our team is playing with a purpose right now. I think we can kick their ass if they get our A or A- game from everyone....in reality i think it'll be a close, physical, stressful game that comes down to the last few minutes.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Today's games in the Maui Invitational with Tennessee vs. Purdue and Marquette vs. Kansas will most likely have a combination of 4 better teams than the 2024 Final Four.