Site Admin

Re: F the NCAA

Post by pdub »

Student athletes!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:15 am worse than NIL, imo

https://fortune.com/2023/12/08/ncaa-tra ... wsuit/amp/
all part of the same bag.

And yeah, it's getting ridiculous
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I knew that was coming.

Right to work and all
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

College basketball would be better - the games would be better, the fan experience would be better, etc. - if players did not jump from school to school as much as they are.

That said, I personally cannot come up with the legal/ethical/moral justification for prohibiting them from doing so, solely on the basis of "this is what you must agree to in order to play college basketball."

In almost any circumstance, you have to pay negotiated compensation (in some form or fashion) for restrictions like this.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

"this is what you must agree to in order to play college basketball."

call it what you will, but this reasoning is good enough for me
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

over 1500 fbs players into the portal since the beginning of the month
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:12 pm "this is what you must agree to in order to play college basketball."

It was good enough reasoning for me as well for a lot of things.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:12 pm "this is what you must agree to in order to play college basketball."

isn't that the way a lot of things in life work? Choices. Life's about choices. Make them, deal with the terms of the agreement and the consequences of changing your mind.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

"We" are doing an increasingly terrible job of preparing these young athletes for life outside of athletics.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

this is why i generally kinda like the idea of linking NIL money with contracts
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:31 pm "We" are doing an increasingly terrible job of preparing these young athletes for life outside of athletics.
I guess where the distinction lies is in a difference of opinion I have with some around here, about what would happen if a substantial number of these young athletes were to say "screw it, not agreeing to that." I've made my opinion known, and others have as well.

But generally in response to what you said - I sure hope I raise my kids to be extremely skeptical of anything that restricts their freedom of movement. I would hope, for each person here's sake, that each person here would be extremely skeptical over their employer trying to compel them to agree to something that restricts their freedom of movement.

That's not to say never.

But if anyone here PMd me and asked for advice on something like this, I would say that you need to be really, really, really sure that (1) the juice is worth the squeeze, and (2) you don't have the leverage to push back.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:43 pm this is why i generally kinda like the idea of linking NIL money with contracts
That is my general feeling as well. You want to restrict my movement? Make it worth it for me.

In my opinion, scholarship/room/board/exposure etc. is not worth it.

My opinion. Not telling anyone they're idiots for feeling otherwise.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I get what you are saying, Fish, in your longer most recent post. But, like all arguments dealing with sports/income/salaries...these are not 'normal' jobs. All professional leagues have a whole lot of rules that restrict movement freely by players. Yeah, I know the contract subject has been brought up.

I think that's where it will have to go. Because this isn't a typical open marketplace. In no world we know is it that way regarding sports.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Brought up so many times in this thread are the top 5% of 'college' athletes we are catering to where scholarship/room/board/exposure is not worth it.

There are over 4200 D1 basketball players.
Of course it's worth it for most of them.
And it was before hand as I believe the KU players interviewed saying they didn't get paid before NIL.

Dickinson doesn't think it's worth it?
Bye ( in a theoretical actual college sports environment instead of this monstrosity we've created )*.

*( of course in this theoretical college sports environment the NCAA is completely open with money and better distributes the funds back to the universities for academics - yes, I think college sports should 'subsidize' academics since in principle that's what these students are there for )
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:46 pm I get what you are saying, Fish, in your longer most recent post. But, like all arguments dealing with sports/income/salaries...these are not 'normal' jobs. All professional leagues have a whole lot of rules that restrict movement freely by players. Yeah, I know the contract subject has been brought up.

I think that's where it will have to go. Because this isn't a typical open marketplace. In no world we know is it that way regarding sports.
I disagree with none of this.

I just think it's another of those "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered" things, where those with the power held onto it greedily and absolutely, until maximally wielding that power led to a breaking point at which things came undone altogether (and the newly-empowered have no reason to trust the old guard).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Marvin Harrison Jr. reportedly getting offers between 15-20 million (! fucking million) in NIL to stay at Ohio St next year.

Fuck all this stupid shit.

"Same opportunities as other students" right fish?

Man I recall all those multi million dollar offers I got to spend the night at the library trying to get that paper done on time...
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Call me crazy but knowing what little I do, I am not at all shocked about Harrison and I think it's going to become an ego thing in which not only will college athletes basically compete for highest paid but donors/boosters are going to try and one up each other as well. How high can we go?

I have directly spoken with and/or at least listened to many people in regards to their thoughts and feelings about NIL.
"People" ranging from college athletic directors, college presidents, big donors, college coaches, agents, college athletes, and intelligent friends and co-workers.
There are many things regarding NIL that I don't know about in regards to the "rules" but what I m confident about is that college athletics is/are headed for disaster. Unless you enjoy chaos.
Those of you who understand NIL better than I do, what if anything are the limits? I have heard there are no limits. So what exactly does that mean?
Let's say Elon Musk came along and for his enjoyment he said I am going to give 25 billion "NIL dollars" away and I want all the kids on the Football and Basketball teams at the University of ______ to receive it over the next 5 seasons - and he wants one player in particular to get a billion so he can/will be the first billion dollar college athlete. Could he "legally" do it?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:51 pm Marvin Harrison Jr. reportedly getting offers between 15-20 million (! fucking million) in NIL to stay at Ohio St next year.

Fuck all this stupid shit.

"Same opportunities as other students" right fish?

Man I recall all those multi million dollar offers I got to spend the night at the library trying to get that paper done on time...

fREe MArKET NotHiNG yOu cAN dO!!!
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Bronny "6 Million Dollar NIL Man" James gave us 4 points in his college debut yesterday.
But hey, his Father was in the stands - to see him and his teammates lose at home to Long Beach State.
Or as ESPN calls them - Long Beach State Beach. See below.

Anyone know how much NIL money Marcus Tsohonis is getting? You know, the guy who put up 28 on USC (and 35 on Michigan).

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.