F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
TDub
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by TDub »

I think we should have a league for those thay have no interest in college and have it be separate from the league that uses Collegiate Mascots and currently charades as collegiate sports.

If the quality of the play dips, so be it. I'd wager many more people will continue to watch the college sports than will tune into the F league or whatever name you want to give the new, non university affiliated league.
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:19 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:47 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:07 am

"Reportedly". In today's media world where any dipshit with an iPhone calls himself a "media member", I take reports of things like this for what they are worth.

Nothing.
That's wise depending on who/what the source is.
I was with people on Saturday who are very involved with NIL "investments". Seems the sky is the limit. At least for now it is.
Rich people like to throw their money at their favorite sports teams as a measure of their status so nothing surprises me.
Yes, SOME rich people like to "throw their money at their favorite sports teams as a measure of their status" - and some rich people like to take advantage of investment opportunities. I'm not rich so I'm not in the game but from what I have been told, there is a strong potential for a lot of money to be made for investors in regards to the current NIL situation. If I had a bunch of money to invest, I would at least look in to the opportunities.

The not funny thing to me is how people bitched and wanted the NCAA to give in to players being paid legally. Now that it's happening, college athletics just may become an even scummier business.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:34 pm they already we're treated different, much much better in fact.
It's a matter of perspective, right? If Person A is worth 100, Person B is worth 15 and Person C is worth 2, and Persons A and B get 15 and Person C gets 2...Persons A and B are getting more than Person C, but that doesn't (in my view) mean that Person A is getting treated fairly.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:36 pm I think we should have a league for those thay have no interest in college and have it be separate from the league that uses Collegiate Mascots and currently charades as collegiate sports.

If the quality of the play dips, so be it. I'd wager many more people will continue to watch the college sports than will tune into the F league or whatever name you want to give the new, non university affiliated league.
Ok. I don't think this is bad or anything. I disagree on the effect it would have, but I get where you're coming from.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the obvious next step. the children should be able to enter the portal mid season. and be immediately eligible for their new school.

take nick timberlake for instance. you think he is satisfied. he should be able to enter the portal today. and play for his new school tomorrow.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I've always wanted for the G League to take off - league full of young stars.

It unfortunately didn't and now the collegiate brand and unique connection is being shit on ( for some of us ) with an accelerated path to just another professional league.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

student a is free to move from his job in the mcdonalds drive thru line mid school year. to accept a job in the wendys drive thru line. and be immediately eligible tp work in the wendys drive thru line.

seems indentured servitudy that student athlete a is not offered the same freedom of movement.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:46 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:34 pm they already we're treated different, much much better in fact.
It's a matter of perspective, right? If Person A is worth 100, Person B is worth 15 and Person C is worth 2, and Persons A and B get 15 and Person C gets 2...Persons A and B are getting more than Person C, but that doesn't (in my view) mean that Person A is getting treated fairly.
But college basketball shouldn't be about trying to get person A as much money as they possibly can.
Or I don't think it should.
You do.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Once again we are at an impasse based on basic definitions and understanding of things.

In my opinion, as a person who values free education, free trainers, luxury flights, free meals, tutors, lifelong contacts actively working together you you're next andnl best opportunities...

Person A is getting a helliva lot of compensation.

As a society I think maybe we need to tske a hard look at priorities as well...

Person C might cure cancer....Person A puts a ball in spot better than anyone else.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:06 pm
But college basketball shouldn't be about trying to get person A as much money as they possibly can.
Or I don't think it should.
You do.
I do not think this is what college basketball should be about.

I do think that college basketball should be about being the definitive place for awesome young basketball players to gather to play basketball until they are ready to have the role they want in the NBA. And I do think that not artificially constraining players’ earning potential is an important way to pursue that goal for college basketball.

In other words, it is not that I think college basketball should exist so that players can make money. It’s that I think players being able to make money is something that contributes to the health and awesomeness of college basketball. That that’s fairer to the players (to the detriment of, primarily, administrators and coaches) is, in my opinion, a good thing.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:20 pm
Once again we are at an impasse based on basic definitions and understanding of things.

In my opinion, as a person who values free education, free trainers, luxury flights, free meals, tutors, lifelong contacts actively working together you you're next andnl best opportunities...

Person A is getting a helliva lot of compensation.

As a society I think maybe we need to tske a hard look at priorities as well...

Person C might cure cancer....Person A puts a ball in spot better than anyone else.
I agree that there is, and has for a very long time been, LOTS AND LOTS of non-cash compensation for players, of considerable value.

I also agree that a fair criticism of colleges is that sports is not necessarily the highest and best use of scarce resources. But, whether we agree or disagree with them, colleges have decided that the math works out in their favor.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:36 pm I think we should have a league for those thay have no interest in college and have it be separate from the league that uses Collegiate Mascots and currently charades as collegiate sports.

That already exists.

https://overtimeelite.com/
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:37 pm

That already exists.

great, nobody's ever heard of it.

So what's the difference? Whats actually drawing the fans. The branding of the university, the tie of the university to the alumni and fans? Or the athletes playing the game?
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:53 pm the obvious next step. the children should be able to enter the portal mid season. and be immediately eligible for their new school.

take nick timberlake for instance. you think he is satisfied. he should be able to enter the portal today. and play for his new school tomorrow.
I disagree. Since schools have a finite number of spots they are allowed to offer, accepting one of those offers should tie you to them for the season, even if you choose to leave early. They're an independent contractor working on a fixed length contract that can be renewed each season. They shouldn't be able to accept funds to play in one spot and then simply leave that spot to accept more funds to go play somewhere else. That's some Satchel Paige level stuff.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:38 pm

That already exists.

So what's the difference? Whats actually drawing the fans. The branding of the university, the tie of the university to the alumni and fans? Or the athletes playing the game?
For now? The university stuff. I think the ground is moving, though, especially in basketball. I think the prudent play is to ride the wave (rather than fight the tide).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

That already exists.

They had two players get drafted in the Top 5 of the last NBA Draft.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if it stops being about the name on the front of the jersey altogether, it will languish and die (relatively speaking)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:51 pm if it stops being about the name on the front of the jersey altogether, it will languish and die (relatively speaking)
100%.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:52 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:51 pm if it stops being about the name on the front of the jersey altogether, it will languish and die (relatively speaking)
100%.
? but that is exactly what you ate arguing in favor of.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:50 pm

That already exists.

They had two players get drafted in the Top 5 of the last NBA Draft.
proves my point even more.

2 top 5 players and still nobody gave a shit.

It's about the University, not the player.

the love of the university and the love of the game being competed in the name of the university would survive without the services of the top, overpaid, prima donnas.
Just Ledoux it