Bill Self w/ 2

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: Bill Self w/ 2

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:04 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:54 pm It helps when Sherron is on a team ( coming off the bench ) that’s the best Self has ever had.
It does help....although just because he came off the bench doesn't take away from his importance to that team. He was probably the 4th best player on that team.

It also helps when as a senior you lead your team to a 33-3 record.
Huge blemish on the senior year. Didn't get what might have been the deepest most loaded team self has ever had past northern iowa
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Devonte was a better shooter, defender, and passer than sherron. And taller
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

All three of these guys had some of the best moments in history. Spoiled for choice.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

All three were studs.
Jerseys, rafters.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

About that 2010 team I remember some journalist describing it as “a bunch of really pretty leaves trying to be a tree.”

Though it was the deepest and most loaded on paper, it never seemed to fully click.

X seemed on cruise control most of the season. Cole just sort of assumed a utility role. Sherron wanted bad to play hero ball, and the team obliged, even tho that’s not the best scheme for a whole season, and even tho it was a team full of NBA players in the first place.

Sherron was clearly out of shape and just not as explosive as he was before senior year. Tho he was still the man that year, by March, the best player on the team very well may have been Marcus.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:10 am About that 2010 team I remember some journalist describing it as “a bunch of really pretty leaves trying to be a tree.”

Though it was the deepest and most loaded on paper, it never seemed to fully click.

X seemed on cruise control most of the season. Cole just sort of assumed a utility role. Sherron wanted bad to play hero ball, and the team obliged, even tho that’s not the best scheme for a whole season, and even tho it was a team full of NBA players in the first place.

Sherron was clearly out of shape and just not as explosive as he was before senior year. Tho he was still the man that year, by March, the best player on the team very well may have been Marcus.
They lost 3 games. I'd say things were clicking.

I don't agree with your assessment above (or on most things tbh). But we are all entitled to our own opinions.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

They were 33-3 with a top 20 SOS.
They clicked.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

yea....thats just silly.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So you guys are countering which points specifically?

Do you think X was as aggressive as he shoulda been?

Do you think Cole’s production was as good as sophomore year?

Do you think Sherron was in shape? And as PG making the most of the talent around him?

Do you think Marcus sucked?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

My goodness.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

another thread ruined and I wish after all these years he'd show some improvement in his bball IQ. I'll bow out of this thread too I guess.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I will check in after 4 pages, see if any progress is made.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think 2010 still had enough individual talent at enough positions to win a bunch of games.

But I still don’t think they clicked in the sense they gelled like a team should gel, and reached their full collective team potential.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m specifically addressing this point:

“ Though it was the deepest and most loaded on paper, it never seemed to fully click.”

They won 33 games with a top 20 SOS. They won the B12 with one loss at Selfs old haunts. They won the B12 tourney and swept one of the best ksu squads evar.

Sherron did fuck up and tried to do too much v UNI. We were close to winning that game. We didn’t. March Madness isn’t good at determining the best team.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The issue with you not thinking they clicked stares straight in the face of one of our highest Kenpom rated squads ever. They certainly could have done better in the NCAA tournament, I agree.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Playing a good shooting, under-seeded team on one day's prep. NCAA tough to win if you aren't from North Carolina
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:55 pm The issue with you not thinking they clicked stares straight in the face of one of our highest Kenpom rated squads ever. They certainly could have done better in the NCAA tournament, I agree.
Thanks.

I think we’re not quite on the same page tho.

Yea I realize 10 was one of the highest rated kenpom ever. But kenpom is a quantitative metric right? When “clicking” is more a qualitative thing, like an eye test or a “man this team right now just looks good” sort of assessment.

I qualitatively just don’t remember that team gelling like you hope a team will. The success came from all the individual talent, more so than from being the most cohesively best-executing team possible.

But maybe that’s a historical revisionism of sorts, caused by the fact that yes they def tripped on their own dicks against UNI.

I’m trying to remember what I thought of it at the time, and whether I was surprised by the upset, or actually not that surprised cuz I was already critical of a team built around letting a fat dood play hero ball, which isn’t exactly the best formula for tournament success.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and their own eye test.

Yours doesn't hold much weight around here when it comes to basketball (among other things).

Everyone with half a brain was surprised we lost to UNI. We lost 3 fucking games all year. We were the overwhelming favorite to win it all.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I remember being super hesitant with X bc it was clear he was a one and done and the whole Memphis flirting deal I think his Dad played but when he got here, I think he bought in fully.

It’s pretty long ago but I don’t specifically remember thinking the team didn’t click, I was pretty sure they were gonna win it all.

UNI night got me arrested even.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Sorry if already posted...through the phog top 10 Self era PGs.

https://throughthephog.com/2023/11/03/k ... -jayhawls/

Pretty bad list imo.