Chiefs 2023

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Chiefs 2023

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:14 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:04 pm I think he may hug that line this season, yes.
Looking back at this - Pacheco hugging the top 20 RB line - I still think he is for me.
Maybe 17th? 18th?
Sounds right. I think he's definitely somewhere in the middle third. And, ideally, he'd get into that top third...right in time to move on from him and find your next middle-third guy on a rookie deal.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Pacheco was 9th in the NFL in yards per game (was 25th last season). He just missed three games. The only regular RBs that had a higher yards per attempt than Pacheco's 4.6 average were McCaffrey at 5.4, Jaylen Warren at 5.3, Jahmyr Gibbs at 5.2, Kyren Williams at 5.0, James Connor at 5.0, Raheem Mostert at 4.8 and James Cook at 4.7.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Pacheco benefits from a good offense ( yes, even with the Chiefs struggles they are a top 10 offense ).
15 RB's i'd rather have next season ( who I think are better than Pacheco ):

McCaffrey
Bijan
Saquon ( yup, he's this high for me, he's in pretty much a hellscape in NY )
Breece Hall ( kinda the same thing as above )
Jonathan Taylor
James Cook
Etienne
Kyren Williams
Achane
Henry ( older but still a monster )
Nick Chubb ( the knee is a question mark but his ceiling is immense )
Gibbs
David Montgomery ( come at me, I think he is massively underrated )
Joe Mixon
Kenneth Walker

6 RB's I'd have to think about for some reason or another:

Rachaad White
Kamara ( some drop off but ultimately I think more talented )
Mostert ( age/injuries )
Deandre Swift ( that offense fell off the edge halfway through the season but he still benefits from a top notch OLine )
Najee Harris ( I think his line doesn't do him any favors )
Aaron Jones ( injuries )

Some names I don't think i'd consider over Pacheco:

James Conner ( he had a better season than Pacheco i think but not sold )
Javonte Williams ( injuries )
Tony Pollard ( couldnt do it on the Cowboys with that line?! )
Josh Jacobs
Austin Ekeler

Ultimately i'd bet Pacheco would net out around 18th for me which is better than expected.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yards per touch ( over 150 touches - except Achane with 130 - gotta include him bc he's a stud ):

Achane
Conner
Kyren Williams
Mostert
Montgomery
McCaffrey
Gibbs
Herbert
Cook
Taylor
Swift
Gus Edwards
Aaron Jones
Rachaad White
Derrick Henry
Zack Moss

Pacheco 17th.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:26 pm Yards per touch ( over 150 touches - except Achane with 130 - gotta include him bc he's a stud ):

Achane
Conner
Kyren Williams
Mostert
Montgomery
McCaffrey
Gibbs
Herbert
Cook
Taylor
Swift
Gus Edwards
Aaron Jones
Rachaad White
Derrick Henry
Zack Moss

Pacheco 17th.
Pacheco is about top five IMHO because he gets tougher yards than about every other back. Teams cheat up on the Chiefs to cut off the short passing game as well as the run. Lots of blitzes. Pacheco blocks at the top of the game. Pacheco will bludgeon his way through traffic exactly like the Chiefs need. He also has elite speed. The only limiter is his vision right now.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Top five?
That's wearing some red and gold sunglasses while just chugging BBQ sauce.

"...because he gets tougher yards than about every other back..."

19th in YAC.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

To me, it's "yards per dollar" that matters at the RB position. We are getting Top 10 RB production out of a guy on a 7th round pick rookie contract. Sure, McCaffrey and a few other guys would generate better stats in the KC offense but we would have to release half our defense to pay them.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd argue with the stats above that we aren't getting top 10 production ( yards per touch, total TDs ) but I definitely agree with yards per dollar.

Pacheco is great. He's not a top 15 RB but his value is through the roof.
In fact, it may be a top 15 contract in terms of value in the NFL.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:26 pm Yards per touch ( over 150 touches - except Achane with 130 - gotta include him bc he's a stud ):

Achane
Conner
Kyren Williams
Mostert
Montgomery
McCaffrey
Gibbs
Herbert
Cook
Taylor
Swift
Gus Edwards
Aaron Jones
Rachaad White
Derrick Henry
Zack Moss

Pacheco 17th.
Where's he stand, on that list, in touches per game? It would seem to me that, in this approach, you should logically discount a little for sharing a backfield. Not fair to Pacheco, in my opinion, to judge him apples-to-apples against guys who have lighter loads (your Achane comparison, for example).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Achane is partly subjective but I have been on the Achane train before the draft last year.
I'd swap him for Pacheco in a heartbeat and go sign a free agent bruiser. Sorry Pacheco.

I'd also argue that sharing a backfield doesn't necessarily mean more yards per touch for each player because often running backs need to get into a grove instead of being in one play and getting taken out the next.

I stand by that list of 15 originally posted who I think would work better in our offense.
The other 6 dudes listed are up for debate.
Pacheco still benefits from having Patrick Mahomes as QB ( even in one of his worst seasons he's still put up top 5 QB numbers ).

( but the main point is cost per production here in the RB position and we should never draft a RB in the 1st again - well, unless a dude like Bijan falls to the 30th pick )
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I won't quibble stats, but Pacheco and his tough running style is unique. Really missed him in the games he was out. He was perfect paired with McKinnon, who is a loss we don't factor in enough thinking about the rest of post season. Pops is a little Hunt, a little like LJ, with flourishes of a Riggins. Stats won't ever be complete measures of a running back in a Reid offense. So much is predicated on deception and intention.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But speaking of the guys I wouldn't want over Pacheco but would still take...

Austin Ekeler on a 1 year incentive deal.
Guy is an incredible receiver, played for a busted Chargers team on a busted leg.
Wanna stick it to the team that didn't re-sign you? Come here my man.

Instantly better than CEH.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Always room for great hands on this team
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:57 pm Achane is partly subjective but I have been on the Achane trade before the draft last year.
I'd swap him for Pacheco in a heartbeat and get sign a free agent bruiser. Sorry Pacheco.

I'd also argue that sharing a backfield doesn't necessarily mean more yards per touch for each player because often running backs need to get into a grove instead of being in one play and getting taken out the next.
Me, personally, the only guys on your list I would, without question, trade out with Pacheco straight up for 2024 would be...

Achane
Williams
Gibbs
Swift

I'm not saying that makes Pacheco a top-5 back. But, cap hit and age/miles matter, a lot.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’d easily add Breece Hall, James Cook, Kenneth Walker, and Travis Etienne to that list ( none of them too expensive ).
I haven’t watched Racheed White enough but he has the numbers.

I’d be tempted to see Bijan even at that price ( 5.4 avg ) wreak havoc in our offense too.

Others too expensive and or old.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I didn't know this about CEH. Mad respect.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2P7y89Lzp_ ... _copy_link
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:52 pm I’d easily add Breece Hall, James Cook, Kenneth Walker, and Travis Etienne to that list ( none of them too expensive ).
I haven’t watched Racheed White enough but he has the numbers.

I’d be tempted to see Bijan even at that price ( 5.4 avg ) wreak havoc in our offense too.

Others too expensive and or old.
I feel like Etienne is getting by on name.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Have you watched that dude play?
Electric.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I don't get the CEH hate.
It isn't his fault the Chiefs drafted him too high.

Dude has made some great plays.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy