B12 2024

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: B12 2024

Post by twocoach »

Kansas State has lost 7 out of their last 8 games with their only win in that stretch vs. KANSAS. That is turning into a more embarrassing loss every day.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:53 am Is Iowa State for real?

They played 1 ranked team in non con and lost. All of their good wins are in conference. And mostly at home.

I am not a believer.
They are a great defensive team but having to rely on Lipsey as your primary offensive option puts them at risk as the is not a good scorer. They have some decent complimentary pieces but most importantly, they seem to play hard every night. If KU played at ISU's intensity level every game, they would probably only have 1 loss in Big 12 play.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:28 am Kansas State has lost 7 out of their last 8 games with their only win in that stretch vs. KANSAS. That is turning into a more embarrassing loss every day.
i get this sentiment, but there are few losses that i’m embarrassed by anymore. we’ve all said it, but teams and individuals play out of their minds against KU. i’ve been meaning to put together some numbers to back up the notion (fg and 3pt %s vs KU, vs the rest of the schedule), but just haven’t committed the time

that’s not to excuse losing games where KU should be the superior team. i’ve just resigned myself to head-scratching losses when KU has the roster issues and margins for error that this team has
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:44 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:28 am Kansas State has lost 7 out of their last 8 games with their only win in that stretch vs. KANSAS. That is turning into a more embarrassing loss every day.
i get this sentiment, but there are few losses that i’m embarrassed by anymore. we’ve all said it, but teams and individuals play out of their minds against KU. i’ve been meaning to put together some numbers to back up the notion (fg and 3pt %s vs KU, vs the rest of the schedule), but just haven’t committed the time

that’s not to excuse losing games where KU should be the superior team. i’ve just resigned myself to head-scratching losses when KU has the roster issues and margins for error that this team has
When you've lost to the teams currently in 11th, 12th and tied for 13th, the loss to the 11th place team not being the most embarrassing loss of the conference slate is purely a technicality. All three are embarrassing to me personally and the effort shown in each should be embarrassing to the players and coaches.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:48 am

When you've lost to the teams currently in 11th, 12th and tied for 13th, the loss to the 11th place team not being the most embarrassing loss of the conference slate is purely a technicality. All three are embarrassing to me personally and the effort shown in each should be embarrassing to the players and coaches.
nothing compares to the loss in Lubbock. Nothing comes close.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:48 am

the effort is more embarrassing than the loss, imo

i’m hesitant to call this team entitled, but it’s definitely felt like that for me at times
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i have seen enough. my expectations for this team. come march. are pretty low.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This team's ceiling is I think as good as 2022's ( who earned a 1 but probably should have been a 2 ) but it's getting too late in the game to think that they'll reach that.

Even if this team earns a 3 like 2021 or 4 like 2019 I think they are better than those teams.
I do think we can get out of the 1st weekend.

5 regular season games left.
( v UT, v BYU, @ Baylor, v ksu, @ Houston )
I'd much much rather a low 2 than a high 3.

I think we'll need to go 4-1 to get that 2 seed...4-1 probably gets you 2nd in the toughest conference in basketball so I think you'd be in a great spot for a 2.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i suppose. if we are 100% healthy. we could make some noise in march. we could go on a run. if we are healthy.

my expectations are not high.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:30 am i have seen enough. my expectations for this team. come march. are pretty low.
I am weirdly comforted by the fact that Kansas has come to play against tourney teams the vast majority of the time.

Teams currently projected to be in the ncaa tourney and their seed in ESPN bracketology (I know, I know)
beat 1 seeds Houston, beat 1 seed UConn
beat 2 seed Tennessee, lost to 2 seed Marquette
beat 3 seed Baylor, lost at 3 seed Iowa State
beat 5 seed Kentucky
lost at 6 seed Texas Tech
swept 8 seed Oklahoma
beat 9 seed TCU

Not sure if I missed any other ones, I didn't spend a ton of time on this, but that's 4-2 against Top 3 seeds and 8-3 vs. tourney teams overall.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i hope like hell they surprise me.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:14 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:30 am i have seen enough. my expectations for this team. come march. are pretty low.
I am weirdly comforted by the fact that Kansas has come to play against tourney teams the vast majority of the time.

Teams currently projected to be in the ncaa tourney and their seed in ESPN bracketology (I know, I know)
beat 5 seed Kentucky
swept 8 seed Oklahoma
beat 9 seed TCU

Not sure if I missed any other ones, I didn't spend a ton of time on this, but that's 4-2 against Top 3 seeds and 8-3 vs. tourney teams overall.
If we just ignore those bad road losses, our resume suddenly looks really really good
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

and the old lady would look pretty good if i just ignored the extra 40 she put on.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

beat 5 seed Kentucky
swept 8 seed Oklahoma
beat 9 seed TCU

I think this supports my feeling that the deeper we get in the tournament the more dangerous we will be.

But we could be bounced game 1 if we have a bad game.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:11 pm and the old lady would look pretty good if i just ignored the extra 40 she put on.
She is one lucky lady.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:14 pm

beat 5 seed Kentucky
swept 8 seed Oklahoma
beat 9 seed TCU

I think this supports my feeling that the deeper we get in the tournament the more dangerous we will be.

But we could be bounced game 1 if we have a bad game.
Agreed. I am more worried about our Round of 32 game than our Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eight game.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:11 pm and the old lady would look pretty good if i just ignored the extra 40 she put on.
Purdue has lost to the 12th place and 13th place teams in the Big Ten, one of which was Ohio State who was playing its first game under an interim head coach after they fired their coach midseason. UConn and Houston are the only teams that don't have a head scratching loss on their resume at this point. Everyone has some warts this year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Last season I think we had 17 quad 1 wins.
We currently have 6.
We can only get 3 more in the regular season...then in theory you could get 3 more in the B12 tournament.

That's a max of 12.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I too am kinda nervous about this team.

Most years it’s “I hope we make a final four again,” but this year I’m leaning “I hope we don’t get smoked in the second round again.”

We got no depth, no guy who can get his own shot, and prone to letting meh teams have career shooting nights against us. Not exactly the ideal blueprint for a deep run.

Of course, I’m saying this out loud so as to reverse jinx us and can eat that crauw.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"no guy who can get his own shot"

Eh.
I'd argue Kevin can do this just not at an elite level.