Iowa/UConn women’s game

Kansas Basketball.
ramjet
Contributor

Re: Iowa/UConn women’s game

Post by ramjet »

pdub wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:39 pm 17 PPG on 37% shooting isn’t what I’d call backing it up though.
10 games into a rookie season, I'll call it pretty damn good.

Raining $$$$ into the league - priceless
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the 5.4 rebs and 6.5 asst are just as, if not more, impressive to me
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:05 pm the 5.4 rebs and 6.5 asst are just as, if not more, impressive to me
The other day I had something on in the background and they pointed out that Doncic consistently ranks towards the top of the NBA in assists/game average. His career average is > 8/game. Caitlin Clark draws the defense and like Doncic, is a skilled passer who averaged > 8 assists/game in college, too. Of course, 6.5 isn't > 8, but it doesn't seem too bad for a rookie.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Wait 17 PPG is 14th in the league?
wut?
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

pdub wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:00 pm Wait 17 PPG is 14th in the league?
wut?
And how many years have those with higher avg been in the league?

wut?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if a man were putting up her stats during his rookie season, what would the narrative be?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Rookie of the year for sure but not game changing player like a Jordan, LeBron, Wilt etc.

37% is not a good shooting percentage.
She had 3 points tonight.

I said it before but the WNBA needs her to be a Jordan and not, I dunno, a Trey Young.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

What's NOT funny is how so many people thought Caitlin Clark was a great shooter in college.
Her Senior season she 55th in the country in 3 point shooting percentage. (133rd in FG %).
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Heard on...CNN(?) as I was turning the TV off to go to bed last night:

...Clark joins Sabrina Ionescu as the only players in WNBA history to register 150+ points, 50+ rebounds, and 50+ assists in their first 10 career games...
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:03 pm if a man were putting up her stats during his rookie season, what would the narrative be?
Hard to say.

There is definitely a lot of jealousy and hate going on. A lot of the female "voices" in the media are former WNBA players. And clearly the current and former players have taken issue with how she's been given all this love/spotlight/attention when they feel (and maybe rightfully so) that there are dozens of better female basketball players currently playing in the WNBA.
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:17 am
KUTradition wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:03 pm if a man were putting up her stats during his rookie season, what would the narrative be?
Hard to say.

There is definitely a lot of jealousy and hate going on. A lot of the female "voices" in the media are former WNBA players. And clearly the current and former players have taken issue with how she's been given all this love/spotlight/attention when they feel (and maybe rightfully so) that there are dozens of better female basketball players currently playing in the WNBA.
and then there is the elephant in the room ...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I suppose that elephant is the racism angle which is becoming prominent on social media.
There's no doubt that it's a factor ( to me ) but I think primarily it's as Illy put it.

In a sense, it'd be if Trae Young ( this is my comp for her - very talented but not justifying the hype ) came into the league as a cultural phenom in college and no one really followed the NBA.

Your LeBron James, Kevin Durants, Giannis's, Dame's etc would be like 'what's this bullshit? He's good but he's not THAT good.'
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

I love Caitlin Clark. The opposing players better cool it or they will have to pay.
Originally Imzcount (Why do politicians think “hope” is a plan ?)
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:00 pm Wait 17 PPG is 14th in the league?
wut?
They play 40 minute games, not 48.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

20.9 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 5.9 apg

vs

15.6 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 6.4 apg

vs

18.0 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 7.3 apg

vs

17.0 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.9 apg

vs

18.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 3.4 apg
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

May I also get ages and FG%'s with those stats plz?
i.e. the first player, is that at age 22 - and if not, may I have his/her stats at age 22?
Could those stats for that first player at age 22 maybe be, I dunno, something like:

30 PPG, 7.9 RPG, 7.2 APG, 48.4% FG?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

those are all rookie seasons, 2 nba and 3 wnba
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes, may I please have the ages and FG% included?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:05 am May I also get ages and FG%'s with those stats plz?
i.e. the first player, is that at age 22 - and if not, may I have his/her stats at age 22?
Could those stats for that first player at age 22 maybe be, I dunno, something like:

30 PPG, 7.9 RPG, 7.2 APG, 48.4% FG?
i personally don’t think specific age matters as much when making the jump from one level to the next

and don’t misunderstand me, i’m not trying to say she’s going to have anything close to the career of number 1 (she may not even end having the best women’s career), but rather just trying to offer some perspective since so many seem oddly eager to tear her down

bron
clark
magic
taurasi
parker

edit: as of now, presuming stats hold, she probably won’t even be in the top 5 of wnba rookie seasons (depending on your weighting of stats)