Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:02 pm
Overlander wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:14 pm
Sparko wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:14 pm His nutty acolytes will worsen the calculus. Doxing, threatening, and lying. Mix in some assaults. Trump should be jailed for public safety.
Chatter among Federal Law Enforcement is that the far right is building up.

Gonna be the worst winter in the US in our lifetimes.
just wonderful. Time machine? northern Canada? It's actually a little concerning. I certainly try not to talk about any politics around here, I do not think like most of this county. Could be an interesting year.

pretty sure we peaked in the late 80s to late 90s.
Are we neighbors?

Here in Florida, unlike back when I was in KC, I don't dare put any bumper stickers on my car, trying to avoid it getting keyed and possibly triggering the over-abundant number of cult members in my midst.

Based on HOA rules in my gated-community, I can't have a yard sign. That being said, considering the demographics, I'd pretty much welcome any of my neighbors daring to give me shit about a Biden sign in my yard. #makemyday
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:14 pm His nutty acolytes will worsen the calculus. Doxing, threatening, and lying. Mix in some assaults. Trump should be jailed for public safety.

just wonderful. Time machine? northern Canada? It's actually a little concerning. I certainly try not to talk about any politics around here, I do not think like most of this county. Could be an interesting year.

AKA when Democrats took the White House from Bush and Republicans got pissed and started losing their minds?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:24 am

AKA when Democrats took the White House from Bush and Republicans got pissed and started losing their minds?
that was nothing like this, not even comparable.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:20 am

Are we neighbors?

Here in Florida, unlike back when I was in KC, I don't dare put any bumper stickers on my car, trying to avoid it getting keyed and possibly triggering the over-abundant number of cult members in my midst.

Based on HOA rules in my gated-community, I can't have a yard sign. That being said, considering the demographics, I'd pretty much welcome any of my neighbors daring to give me shit about a Biden sign in my yard. #makemyday
it will be an interesting time this year. I don't necessarily expect anything crazy, at least in my immediate circle of life....but, nothing would surprise me anymore
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:42 am

I think twocoach was pointing to that time as the peak (in a good way) of things, not comparing the (bad) behaviors.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:44 am

I think twocoach was pointing to that time as the peak (in a good way) of things, not comparing the (bad) behaviors.
fair enough, I misread that as him arguing that it wasn't different and people were always crazy. That's the problem with text sometimes.

I often think of Bushes letter to Clinton he left in the Oval office, classy and a sign of much different times.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:47 am

fair enough, I misread that as him arguing that it wasn't different and people were always crazy. That's the problem with text sometimes.

I often think of Bushes letter to Clinton he left in the Oval office, classy and a sign of much different times.
I agree.

But in hindsight, it is apparent that the seeds of our present state of things had already been sown at the grassroots level.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:22 pm

I agree.

But in hindsight, it is apparent that the seeds of our present state of things had already been sown at the grassroots level.
perhaps at the extremes....I dont think the mainstream leaned into it until Obama, and then the decline quickened and they lost their minds with birth certificates and whatnot
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:51 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:22 pm

I agree.

perhaps at the extremes....I dont think the mainstream leaned into it until Obama, and then the decline quickened and they lost their minds with birth certificates and whatnot
I think movement conservatism and right wing talk radio was preparing fertile ground for all of that stuff (and, critically, for Citizens United and Shelby County), decades prior.

As silly as it sounds, I really think a lot of the bullshit we're dealing with now is the product of people who grew up listening to talk radio that was basically early clickbait, coming into power and thinking it's their job to actually DO the things that were really just engagement drivers (abortion bans and so on).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I mostly just mean that people were fine talking about politics back when old school Republicans Reagan and Bush had the White House but it changed once Bill Clinton took office. Just feels like that was when the rhetoric started getting nasty, personal, slightly delusional and vocal and it has only gotten worse since then. I mostly blame social media for making us all too aware of how others really think (or at least how others want us to believe they think).

FYI, the Rush Limbaugh Show began brainwashing Republications with their national syndication in 1988, take that for what it's worth. Maybe it's just a coincidence...
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The fact that MAGA terror was already nascent at Ruby Ridge, Waco and OKC by the early Clinton administration is all you need to know. Right wing terror has been coddled and now represents an existential threat. Those nuts would fit right in with the mainstream Trumpers. Conspiracy theory nuts
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think there is a confusion here between extreme personalities and common everyday acceptable table talk.

of course certain extremes have always existed, but they didn't always seem to think it was acceptable discussion points at a kids graduation event or a backyard BBQ etc.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Those BBQs became pretty heated by the time Fox went all-in in the propaganda business around 1998 or so.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

we were at different bbqs
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:35 pm I think there is a confusion here between extreme personalities and common everyday acceptable table talk.

of course certain extremes have always existed, but they didn't always seem to think it was acceptable discussion points at a kids graduation event or a backyard BBQ etc.
I agree with you.

The team sportsification of politics - making into a zero sum game something that is decidedly not intended to be that way - is a killer.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

One in Three Republicans Now Think Donald Trump Was Wrong Candidate Choice

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-r ... ll-1907298
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:08 pm One in Three Republicans Now Think Donald Trump Was Wrong Candidate Choice

I think the headline should have said - "One in Three Republican VOTERS Now Think Donald Trump Was Wrong Candidate Choice".

I happen to feel there were better choices but I am wondering how the question was presented.
I think people might have answered differently based on if they were asked would you have wanted a different candidate, or do you feel a different candidate would have a better chance to beat Biden (or the Democratic candidate)?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I have never ever witnessed a heated discussion at a barbecue. at least not over politics. maybe sports. or chicks. or something. but never politics.

I guess I just hang around with a more civilized class of folks.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:45 am I have never ever witnessed a heated discussion at a barbecue. at least not over politics. maybe sports. or chicks. or something. but never politics.

I guess I just hang around with a more civilized class of folks.
This begs the question of whether any of the people you "hang around with" understand how to register, and vote?
Last edited by Shirley on Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:32 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:08 pm One in Three Republicans Now Think Donald Trump Was Wrong Candidate Choice

I think the headline should have said - "One in Three Republican VOTERS Now Think Donald Trump Was Wrong Candidate Choice".

I happen to feel there were better choices but I am wondering how the question was presented.
I think people might have answered differently based on if they were asked would you have wanted a different candidate, or do you feel a different candidate would have a better chance to beat Biden (or the Democratic candidate)?
I saw Ken Buck on The Daily Show last night. When John Stewart wasn't talking over him he made a compelling case for his positions, which are reality based. One of his positions was that he is done with politics, from an elected official status. That is the Republican Party's loss.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.