Iowa/UConn women’s game

Kansas Basketball.
MICHHAWK

Re: Iowa/UConn women’s game

Post by MICHHAWK »

the most popular person in basketball. maybe all of sports. is this skinny white girl from the corn field. and everybody is freaking out over it. it's cracking me up.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The Angel Reese rivalry seems so perfectly polarizing I wouldn't be shocked if it was all staged.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:04 pm the most popular person in basketball. maybe all of sports. is this skinny white girl from the corn field. and everybody is freaking out over it. it's cracking me up.
Yeah, but what’s her wingspan?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:04 pm the most popular person in basketball. maybe all of sports. is this skinny white girl from the corn field. and everybody is freaking out over it. it's cracking me up.
Not skinny, not white, not from the corn field.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Shirley wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:34 pm Did someone say, "Angel Reese"?

Increased WNBA exposure is because of Caitlin Clark, not Angel Reese
Yes, of course CC is the "face" of the league right now but.......
Did someone ask Dan Patrick why Wintrust Arena had 50+% Black fans there on Thursday night when last season the Sky had typically 5% to 10% Black fans in attendance?

* Scratch that. I was told it was more like 70% / 75%.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i don't know what point you are trying to make. do you know what point you are trying to make.
Last edited by MICHHAWK on Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

How did they come up with the % of black fans? Is that something the WNBA tracks or did you just poll the people at the local mall?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:41 pm i don't know what point you are trying to make. do you know what point you are trying to make.
Yes, the point I was trying to make was that.......
"the most popular person in basketball. maybe all of sports. is this skinny white girl from the corn field. and everybody is freaking out over it. it's cracking me up".
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:42 pm How did they come up with the % of black fans? Is that something the WNBA tracks or did you just poll the people at the local mall?
Maybe you missed my previous post/s. Again...

"Spoke with a co-worker who has attended games every season. He went to the game Thursday night. He said it was crazy to see that many people at a regular season game - and what was most interesting to him is that in the past there were about 5% to 10% Black people in the stands. On Thursday it was about 50%". Maybe more.

(I came up with the "50% maybe more" - because his original words to me were - probably "5 times as many")

My next post I said - "* Scratch that. I was told it was more like 70% / 75%".
After I had made the initial post I asked him to specifically estimate the percentage of Black fans that were in attendance.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:01 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:42 pm How did they come up with the % of black fans? Is that something the WNBA tracks or did you just poll the people at the local mall?

"Spoke with a co-worker who has attended games every season. He went to the game Thursday night. He said it was crazy to see that many people at a regular season game - and what was most interesting to him is that in the past there were about 5% to 10% Black people in the stands. On Thursday it was about 50%". Maybe more.

(I came up with the "50% maybe more" - because his original words to me were - probably "5 times as many")

After I had made the initial post I asked him to specifically estimate the percentage of Black fans that were in attendance.
It was a joke.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:38 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:01 pm

It was a joke.
I sort of got that when you included MICH ("poll people at the local mall") in the joke.
The not funny thing is that my guess is in the next 20 years "they" (who/m/ever "they" is) will track and be able to break down age, gender, race. etc., in regards to attendance figures at large events.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

So, based on your friends observation....

What do we think the cause is:
1) more people are attending the games and most of the new fans are black and a similar amount of white fans are attending?

2) more people are attending the games and the new fans are black and less white people are attending games?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7xSnKGy ... tkZjB5aGY0

She's annoying to me. Not an Angel Reese or Caitlin Clark fan, personally. For very different reasons. Give me Sarbrina Ionescu or Breanna Stewart all day over them.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:20 pm So, based on your friends observation....

What do we think the cause is:
1) more people are attending the games and most of the new fans are black and a similar amount of white fans are attending?

2) more people are attending the games and the new fans are black and less white people are attending games?
I live in a city that has close to a million black people - and more in the "metropolitan" area.
Many Black people in Chicago are basketball fans. I go to HS basketball tournaments a couple times a year in the city and as a white man, I am typically in the minority, by a lot, in regards to my race.

My uneducated guess is for the new (young & old) generation of Black WNBA fans, Angel Reese is a big factor.
A much smaller factor for old school WNBA Fans may be that their new coach was a "star" in the league, is a former Olympian, and is in the Naismith Hall of Fame.

Point of all my posts today was to express that I do realize CC is 100% the most popular new player in the league. She is a HUGE factor in the popularity of the WNBA today. That's a great thing for the league. That being said, there are other players who are bringing in fans to the WNBA. Such as Angel Reese.
My co-worker/friend/distant relative (he's all 3) went to the game Thursday because he is a big basketball fan, his family members are Sky seasons ticket holders, he hadn't seen Reese play for the Sky in person yet, and he said he wanted to see Cameron Brink play. None of those factors had anything to do with CC.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I think you're right Gutter. The increase in WNBA fans isn't solely due to CC.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:43 pm old school WNBA fans
Lol
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7xmVc-v ... c0aDV4Zg==

Interesting angle. Why haven't her teammates stood up for her and put one of these players who cheap shot her on their ass?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Or it's because Caitlin Clark is actually the popular one driving attention and revenue.