Whoa! Hurley to the Lakers.

Kansas Basketball.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Whoa! Hurley to the Lakers.

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Whoa! Hurley to the Lakers.

Post by KUTradition »

would not be at all disappointed if he left uconn
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

He's an east coast guy. If it were the Knicks, I'd believe it. Lakers, not so much.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I am sure there are several very valid reasons but overall, I don't understand why would someone would want to deal with all the crap involving being a head coach in/with the current state of college basketball if they were offered the same or more money to coach in the NBA.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

He will never get fired from UConn.

If he goes to the Lakers and they do poorly, they could fire him in 2 or 3 years. Look no further than the tenure of their previous coach, and he didn't even do that poorly.

Job security is a main reason why for a guy like Hurley or Self the jump to the NBA is risky.

Also 82+ games vs 40ish games for the same money isn't a good deal.

Does Hurley have youngish kids? That's a big move if so. Moving schools for kids sucks.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:07 am He's an east coast guy. If it were the Knicks, I'd believe it. Lakers, not so much.
i would’ve agreed prior to reading the article, which sure makes it seems like there is legit interest from him
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:18 am
DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:07 am He's an east coast guy. If it were the Knicks, I'd believe it. Lakers, not so much.
i would’ve agreed prior to reading the article, which sure makes it seems like there is legit interest from him
He should definitely take the meeting and listen. For sure.

There is also video of him during the UK coaching search saying he'd listen to them, but not because he was interested, moreso because his agent would kill him if he didn't because it's negotiating power for getting whatever he wants at UConn. He's also made it clear his wife does not want to leave the east coast. She was already pissed moving to UConn from NJ.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i guess we’ll see

edit: if the lakers are already finalizing an offer, it sure seems like more than just a conversation for leverage
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’d be slightly surprised because of the things he’s said about staying near his wife’s family but not much bigger in the sport of basketball than coaching the Lakers.

And while your season is another two to three months longer, and the travel more intense, your offseason is probably more of an offseason because you have a team to make a personnel decisions ( ie he doesn’t have to do the recruiting how much can we pay you to come here dance ).
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:35 am i guess we’ll see

edit: if the lakers are already finalizing an offer, it sure seems like more than just a conversation for leverage
That article feels a bit click baity. They were also finalizing an offer for JJ Redick according to "sources" a few weeks ago.

It sounds like they've only had preliminary contact with Hurley or his people...which to me means they have reached out and said "we'd like to talk" and now they are close to actually talking. I am also not sure the difference of finalizing an offer and preparing to offer?

Article almost feels like they've been turned down by some candidates, or the candidates wanted to wait and see what happens with LeBron/Bronny and the draft, and are now trying to spin it that Hurley has been their main target all along. Which seems far fetched.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i didn’t get that last paragraph at all from the article
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:11 am i didn’t get that last paragraph at all from the article
I might be reading too far into the fact it's taken them this long to hire someone. But it seems strange if he was their main target that they've already interviewed a half dozen people before ever even officially talking to Hurley.

And for some of the guys they listed, I think it's totally logical they might be hesitant to take the job if LeBron is still there and the Lakers are planning on taking Bronny in the draft.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If I'm a candidate for the Lakers, i'm waiting 20 more days until the draft is over.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:31 am If I'm a candidate for the Lakers, i'm waiting 20 more days until the draft is over.
Especially if you're a first time head coach. You might only get 1 shot and the Lakers could be an awful situation if the my draft Bronny and you're tasked with managing whatever that mess might look like (and that's coming from a LeBron fan).
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Hurley is also a control freak. If I am him, coaching LeBron may be a risk when looking at whether to take this job or wait for his pick of whatever comes next NBA wise. This won't be his only chance. Knicks job could open up in the next few years. Nets too. Boston? Coaching turnover is crazy in the NBA.

Not to mention, once LeBron leaves, the Lakers are in an awful spot roster wise. AD is old too. And they're not exactly stock piled with young talent and draft picks.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea, you're right, he could likely find an East coast NBA job if he waited a bit.

But 20 mill a year for 4 years or something like that and a chance to coach maybe the GOAT for one of the greatest franchises in the history of basketball? Gotta hear the offer out and think on it.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:54 am Yea, you're right, he could likely find an East coast NBA job if he waited a bit.

But 20 mill a year for 4 years or something like that and a chance to coach maybe the GOAT for one of the greatest franchises in the history of basketball? Gotta hear the offer out and think on it.
I wonder if Hurley is a fan of LeBron?

He's the same age as a lot of the people who dislike LeBron the most.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Spurs or Boston would be my top 2 job targets if I were Hurley. Both realistically could be open in the next 2-3 years.

Plus, this hasn't been talked about....how can he possibly walk away from the chance to 3-peat? Especially with his son on the team (unless he graduated or transferred?).
KJHGUY

Post by KJHGUY »

Nothing is official but they are still talking
Rock chalk jayhawk 🔴🔵
BILL SELFTHE GANGSTERBY Doning BIG THING YOU DIGG
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

terrific insider info, thanks bm
Just Ledoux it