Gen Z

Ugh.
MICHHAWK

Re: Gen Z

Post by MICHHAWK »

yes. those gen z'ers that don't live in mom and dads basement. will have sticker shock at the grocery store.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:48 am yes. those gen z'ers that don't live in mom and dads basement. will have sticker shock at the grocery store.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/135 ... lation-us/

Thanks to Biden, wage growth far exceeds inflation over the past several months. You're welcome Mich.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/careers/g ... l-0c386274

Gen Z Plumbers and Construction Workers Are Making #BlueCollar Cool
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

good, I want retire someday
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Imma find my way around that paywall, cuz I can’t tell whether it’s more about actual construction work, or just about some electrician babe who gets lots of tik tok likes for live streaming her stripping…wire.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:42 pm good, I want retire someday
It would be an excellent development for our federal, state and local governments to prioritize trade education to at least - if not more or much more than - the level they support university education.

If we (you, me, everyone) are going to be subsidizing others’ post-secondary education, I’d sure rather those subsidies go toward trade/STEM education, than toward another English major.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m for prioritizing it - whether it’s done through the various levels of gummint, or through some social or cultural level.

When I graduated HS like 20 years ago in suburban joco it seemed foregone that pretty much everyone was supposed to go to college. Like I don’t remember the trades even being an option.

But why go pay some university to teach you shit that’s largely only peripherally at best prepares you for an actual career, when you could get paid for hands-on work experience in real time.

And more and more, pretty sure a lot of trades pay better than a lot of “professional” sorts of careers any more.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:50 pm
It would be an excellent development for our federal, state and local governments to prioritize trade education to at least - if not more or much more than - the level they support university education.

If we (you, me, everyone) are going to be subsidizing others’ post-secondary education, I’d sure rather those subsidies go toward trade/STEM education, than toward another English major.
Not only that, but the number of contractors and subcontractors has fallen dramatically in the last 10 years. I'm almost retired and when asked who I would recommend, I don't have the long list like I used to have.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

It has been gobsmacking to me that Biden, being the worker/pro union guy he is, hasn't prioritized "trade education" more than he has. I consider it a huge opportunity missed.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

defixione wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:09 pm

Not only that, but the number of contractors and subcontractors has fallen dramatically in the last 10 years. I'm almost retired and when asked who I would recommend, I don't have the long list like I used to have.
yep, I'm in my 40s and my whole career...up to and including currently....I'm the "young guy" in the industry. There are very very few apprentices and up and coming tradesman. It's gonna be a problem
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:34 pm
defixione wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:09 pm

yep, I'm in my 40s and my whole career...up to and including currently....I'm the "young guy" in the industry. There are very very few apprentices and up and coming tradesman. It's gonna be a problem
And then we all wonder why things like HVAC and car service costs have gone up so drastically.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I know why Fish!!! The immigrants! The immigrants!