Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Totally random thread

Post by TDub »

sheesh, buncha damn fancy pants in here.

I use folgers, every morning. I get like a million cups out of a jug of grounds for like $14
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

sometimes, if I'm extra tired I'll couple that with a cup of gas station coffee when I get in to town. black only m, can't stand creamers and the like.

I will, on a rare occasion, drink a vanilla latte if someone else brings me one. But, there not that good, I'd rather have regular coffee anyday
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:49 pm sheesh, buncha damn fancy pants in here.

I use folgers, every morning. I get like a million cups out of a jug of grounds for like $14
My home roast is about 6 bucks/pound
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don’t have the time ( or I guess don’t want to use the time I have ) to roast and grind beans but I’m certain the coffee would be better if I did.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I'm not a coffee snob. I either use a Nespresso machine or a Keurig at home. I'm just fine with it.
MUCH cheaper to buy these for the Keurig

and then buy bags of ground coffee - than to buy the k-cups. Meanwhile, I opt to buy the k-cups way more often.

I can (and often do) appreciate and prefer a good cup of coffee when I go to a "local" "real" coffee "house".
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

i discovered that The Roasterie sells at least some roast at sam's/costco when i moved here 3 years ago. I have bought that almost exclusively since moving to the KC area. When I moved here it was $14 and some change/2.5 lbs. Now it's $21-23 for same thing. Sigh.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

defixione wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:03 pm We love the flavor of Starbucks Sumatran dark roasted bean. We have a burr grinder for pour over and change the grind for our Pavoni espresso maker for lattes and cappuccinos. We also have a Nespresso but usually buy Peet's 11 for it.
Man, I need you over for breakfast. . .
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:51 am i discovered that The Roasterie sells at least some roast at sam's/costco when i moved here 3 years ago. I have bought that almost exclusively since moving to the KC area. When I moved here it was $14 and some change/2.5 lbs. Now it's $21-23 for same thing. Sigh.
Look online for better deals. Some coffee roasters sell their beans online as well, and get a coffee roaster on Amazon or elsewhere. It is the best alternative. Once the roasted coffee has out-gassed for about a day, it is the best quality you will ever taste. I have a roaster with a pretty sensitive timer for various roasts.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sparko wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:11 am
Back2Lawrence wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:51 am i discovered that The Roasterie sells at least some roast at sam's/costco when i moved here 3 years ago. I have bought that almost exclusively since moving to the KC area. When I moved here it was $14 and some change/2.5 lbs. Now it's $21-23 for same thing. Sigh.
Look online for better deals. Some coffee roasters sell their beans online as well, and get a coffee roaster on Amazon or elsewhere. It is the best alternative. Once the roasted coffee has out-gassed for about a day, it is the best quality you will ever taste. I have a roaster with a pretty sensitive timer for various roasts.
Sparko knows, although I use a hot air pop corn popper to roast mine.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

we added a milk frother to our set-up, and now even take one camping with us

imo, it elevates whatever bean you’re using (presuming you add cream/milk)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:11 am we added a milk frother to our set-up, and now even take one camping with us

When we went camping, I loved the old timey steel pot that would percolate to the top. Nothing like that cup of coffee in the am out in the woods.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I love those things.
When I lived in Germany that's what I had to use to make coffee in my shared apartment.

If it's going to be cool in the morning we bring the french press camping.
If it's not or we're going camping just one night, we just pack a bottle of cold brew.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:31 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:11 am we added a milk frother to our set-up, and now even take one camping with us

When we went camping, I loved the old timey steel pot that would percolate to the top. Nothing like that cup of coffee in the am out in the woods.
yep, i know just the type

no idea what my folks ever did with it. these days we take a french press
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I use a car inverter and take my small Nespresso with me. I want to lower my carbon footprint. 😉
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’ll drink French press, but not a huge fan. It’s never not at least a little muddy and silty. Might as well just do cowboy coffee.

Rather, I do a pour over cone filter.

Tricky to find good java from the store, and not much difference between fancy stuff and Folgers.

The local roastery stuff can be good but still hit or miss, and like $20 a bag either way.

Need to get my own roasting set up, I guess.

Beav buys high end beans but then doctors it up with flavored cream shit. I’m like dude what’s the point
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

cowboy coffee or sock coffee is plenty good for camping
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sock coffee…you mean like when CoyDC brews it?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:26 pm So Red Lobster is considering bankruptcy.

Apparently reported an $11 million quarterly loss after they tried a $20 all-you-can-eat shrimp promotion
Shirley wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:00 am
Excellent article, thanks.

Unfull Disclosure: Someone I used to know quite well was intimately involved in negotiating the sale of the Red Lobster chain to Golden Gate.
No, the "Endless Shrimp" deal isn't what drove Red Lobster into bankruptcy. Private equity did.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

During March Madness I brought a 40" Samsung TV out of hibernation and put it on the coffee table so I could have another game on in the background in addition to my primary TV and streaming on my iPad. The TV has been there ever since, and even tho I live alone and don't care all that much, it's negatively impacting the Feng shui of my abode.

So, I ordered a TV stand on wheels and it arrive today and I assembled it and was getting ready to mount the TV to it, but the bolts that came with the stand didn't fit the holes in the back of the TV. This TV is probably 14-15 years old, but I Goggled the model # and it came up and I found the owner's manual online (which was no help) and support on the Samsung website and was about to call and see if they could tell me what size bolt I needed to try to find at a hardware store or Home Depot or Lowes, when it dawned on me...I have close to 50 years of screws and bolts and washers and nails and and everything else left over from nearly everything I've ever assembled in two plastic cabinets of small drawers out in my garage. Just yesterday I was considering getting rid of them and a bunch of other stuff, so I can downsize some more and eventually get rid of the $250/month storage space I'm wasting money on. (I hate living where you can't have a basement.)

Bingo! The 4 bolts I needed were uncharacteristically long, but I'll be damed if I didn't have 2 sets of two different bolts that i managed to make work, and now I don't have to ____ with calling Samsung or chasing the parts tomorrow!

Faith in a lifetime of hoarding restored! All those times I almost threw them away but took the trouble to save that random whatever finally paid off! And to think I was just considering getting rid of them yesterday. It's like I walked back from the edge, or something.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:32 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:26 pm So Red Lobster is considering bankruptcy.

Apparently reported an $11 million quarterly loss after they tried a $20 all-you-can-eat shrimp promotion
Shirley wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:00 am
Excellent article, thanks.

Unfull Disclosure: Someone I used to know quite well was intimately involved in negotiating the sale of the Red Lobster chain to Golden Gate.
No, the "Endless Shrimp" deal isn't what drove Red Lobster into bankruptcy. Private equity did.
Nope, it's because the patrons didn't tip enough. Dontcha know...
Just Ledoux it