Things That Annoy Me

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Things That Annoy Me

Post by japhy »

TDub wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:15 pm wonder if defix knows my grandfather? I can remember my dad setting trim in our house and my grandfather coming over looking at it snd saying "looks great if you don't like level" they argued about it, grandfather says it's a strong 1/8th off (over a 12 ft board). they argue more, break out levels and stringlines etc...determine it to,in fact, be a shy 1/8th off. My dad saying that's just the variance in the board....my grandfather shrugging his shoulders and telling hum that's what a planer and joiner is for....

My dad left it and continued...

2 days later my grandfather came over while my dad was at work, pulled it off the wall, took it home, ran it through the planer and joiner, restained it and put it back up to his standards.

Now my dad does the same to me and I look forward to carrying on the tradition with my boy haha
Defix's work is beyond reproach. Given the clientele he serves, he don't want no call backs. And his cave in the Empire is perfect.

But these are 100 year old buildings, and I like that "bought everything on Craigslist", troche y moche, folk art sorta feeling in a space. If it is structurally sound and stable, then being within a 1/2 inch in 10 feet is good enough.

Defix loves the process, I love a finished product. We discuss the relative merits of our individual approaches over beer at the end of the day. Generally I think we are both pretty happy with how shit is turning out.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:50 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:15 pm wonder if defix knows my grandfather? I can remember my dad setting trim in our house and my grandfather coming over looking at it snd saying "looks great if you don't like level" they argued about it, grandfather says it's a strong 1/8th off (over a 12 ft board). they argue more, break out levels and stringlines etc...determine it to,in fact, be a shy 1/8th off. My dad saying that's just the variance in the board....my grandfather shrugging his shoulders and telling hum that's what a planer and joiner is for....

My dad left it and continued...

2 days later my grandfather came over while my dad was at work, pulled it off the wall, took it home, ran it through the planer and joiner, restained it and put it back up to his standards.

Now my dad does the same to me and I look forward to carrying on the tradition with my boy haha
Defix's work is beyond reproach. Given the clientele he serves, he don't want no call backs. And his cave in the Empire is perfect.

But these are 100 year old buildings, and I like that "bought everything on Craigslist", troche y moche, folk art sorta feeling in a space. If it is structurally sound and stable, then being within a 1/2 inch in 10 feet is good enough.

Defix loves the process, I love a finished product. We discuss the relative merits of our individual approaches over beer at the end of the day. Generally I think we are both pretty happy with how shit is turning out.
Is this the 'shrooms speaking?
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sparko wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:55 am Listen to Japhy, Gutter. He is pre-Med.
I thought he was pre-law
Broham
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:28 pm
Sparko wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:55 am Listen to Japhy, Gutter. He is pre-Med.
I thought he was pre-law
This man gets it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Uomo Universale
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I like seeing/reading what my post yesterday helped invoke (is that the/a right word?).
Thanks boys and girls!
Instead of listing 10 things today that annoy me, I am going to list 10 things that DON'T annoy me this morning.

1. Nice weather.
2. Pretty women (as long as they aren't behaving and talking like spoiled entitled cunts - that DOES annoy me).
3. The peace and solitude of looking out my window seeing the sun rise over the lake with birds flying in the sky.
4. Farting - when it's me who is farting and the odor isn't bad.
5. Planning to go the grocery store this morning and being thankful I didn't go yesterday morning (being that someone was shot there around 8:30am).
6. Feeling better physically and mentally than I did yesterday morning.
7. The cup of coffee I am drinking.
8. Checking FanDuel this morning and realizing that on Tuesday I bet Tony Finau at 60-1, Patrick Cantlay at 60-1, Bryson DeChambeau at 20-1, and Xander Schauffele at 10-1, to win the USless Open, and right now each guy has a decent chance to win, so I have guys to root for today and tomorrow.
9. Getting a text message a few minutes ago stating my T-Mobile "auto-pay" payment went through (I had issues last month).
10. Only getting about 3 hours of sleep but not feeling tired right now.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:18 am I like seeing/reading what my post yesterday helped invoke (is that the/a right word?).
Evoke, I think.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:33 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:18 am I like seeing/reading what my post yesterday helped invoke (is that the/a right word?).
Evoke, I think.
I think you are correct.
Add that to my list of things that do NOT annoy me - this morning... Having someone help me out and correct me when I make a mistake.
Thanks!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

people that can’t properly pronounce “anemone” or “arctic”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Incorrect use of the word moot.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:01 am people that can’t properly pronounce “anemone” or “arctic”
I have a coworker that I really like but she constantly says "seen" instead of "saw" as in "I seen that yesterday". She also always says "supposably". I just cringe.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

here’s a catch-all: native English speakers that can’t speak proper fucking English
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

while I generally agree, and had a mother who was an English teacher and a grandfather who was an English professor.....proper usage and pronunciation were paramount.

However, there are some incorrectly pronounced words that are sort of like Americana.

For instance, I grew up (grandparents from the other side) saying crick instead of creek. I know it's wrong, but it seems so weird to me to hear it in it's proper form.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:01 am people that can’t properly pronounce “anemone” or “arctic”
My first c on arctic is so subtle ( and I think a lot of people as well ) that it almost sounds as if it isn't there if that's what we're getting at.

Personally I don't mind at all if I don't hear the first 'k' sound in arctic.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

for whatever reason, i don’t view that kind of pronunciation in same way

to me, that sort of instance is derived from a regional dialect or accent, rather than just laziness or ignorance
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:37 am
My first c on arctic is so subtle ( and I think a lot of people as well ) that it almost sounds as if it isn't there if that's what we're getting at.

we have a fast-food joint out here called Arctic Circle…never is the first “c” pronounced

maybe if it wasn’t an actual place with a defined pronunciation it wouldn’t bother me. or maybe if i wasn’t subjected to advert after advert mispronouncing it i wouldn’t care
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ah, yea, if it's mispronounced in the actual advertising, without even an attempt at a c even if just kind of a pause/beat, then that would annoy me too.
Regular joe schmoe mispronouncing it ( i.e. skipping the c ) is nbd to me.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:24 am while I generally agree, and had a mother who was an English teacher and a grandfather who was an English professor.....proper usage and pronunciation were paramount.

However, there are some incorrectly pronounced words that are sort of like Americana.

For instance, I grew up (grandparents from the other side) saying crick instead of creek. I know it's wrong, but it seems so weird to me to hear it in it's proper form.
My dad pronounced it crick. He also referred to seeing a movie as "Going to the the ATE er to see a show."

And of course there was a big ole R in wash and Washington. ( Mrs. 99 has a slight speech impediment, she pronounces is whoosh. Kinda cute if you ask me.)

Dad also said messourah.

I have trouble pronouncing anemone.
Broham
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:37 am

For me, that c is something like a glottal stop - the c is a soft-close of the first syllable of the word, rather than something clearly articulated as its own sound.