The Roof, The Roof

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: The Roof, The Roof

Post by TDub »

I also don't like leaning ladders against gutters.....for multiple reasons. But I suppose there are ways around that.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Clark Griswold says what?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:41 am I also don't like leaning ladders against gutters.....for multiple reasons. But I suppose there are ways around that.
There's an area at the front of our house sans gutters for a short stretch - that's where they have placed the ladders.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ugh starting this week I get to tear off and replace my roof. Including all fascia boards, probably some sheathing repairs or replacement, soffit and vents, some siding on the dormers (all new siding and trim next year), some windows on the dormers and hopefully...fingers crossed...not to much rafter repair.

not looking forward to any of it. At least the first week it's gonna be a night's and weekends job. Then I may have to take a couple days off and go after it for real.

so so hate roofs. Especially steep roofs with lots of hips and valleys and overhang and protrusions. so much flashing and step flashing and bullshit to deal with.....

beats the hell outta paying someone else to do it though.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Are you doing it all on your own?
That's nuts to me.
We had 5 people on our roof and it took them 12 hours.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:50 am Are you doing it all on your own?
That's nuts to me.
We had 5 people on our roof and it took them 12 hours.
I'll be doing it all and yea by myself. should be good times. Doin it after work and weekends...even if I take a few days off will probably take me 2 weeks.

But, a lot of that is all the extra stuff, the siding onnthe dormers, the fascia etc. If I were just doing shingles it'd be much faster.

I'm also 30 minutes from any town so any material runs, dump runs, etc eat away at productivity.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

it's a real pain in the ass roof too, lots of steps and angles etc. it's gonna take some time to do it right
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Good luck.
Stay safe.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

should be so much fun. typically at home I don't bring the harness home and rope grabs etc.....being this far away from town and all alone...yea, I think I'll tie off do it correctly this time ...ambulance is 30 minutes out minimum too...thats a long time to lay on the ground in pain lol
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

My heart, and admiration go out to you.

Falling off a roof is too high a price to pay, glad to hear you're not going commando.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Was just talking about my dangerous roof when I was in Jersey. It was three stories and angled. Yow. Be safe for sure!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

it'd gonna be a beautiful evening to be on a roof.....windy as shitz which is no bueno....but 67 degrees....in mid June? can't complain about that. Low tomorrow is 37. In June. usually we're in the mid 90s with lows in the mid 70s by now
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I take back everything I said....upon removal of 2 layers if shingles it is revealed that....da da da....shake shingles still exist underneath it all...

fuckin motherfucking fuck....

I just earned myself a ton more work and a nice chunk of extra expense
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Shake shingles are the worst.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:10 pm I take back everything I said....upon removal of 2 layers if shingles it is revealed that....da da da....shake shingles still exist underneath it all...

fuckin motherfucking fuck....

I just earned myself a ton more work and a nice chunk of extra expense
DeletedUser wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:34 am Shake shingles are the worst.
^^^

Ugh, my condolences Tdub.

That is real work.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

so wooden shake shingles were covered over with two layers of standard shingles?

wtf
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:04 pm so wooden shake shingles were covered over with two layers of standard shingles?

wtf
yep...and wtf is right.

the last roof I did had the same thing...but on that one I had a crew of guys and also could charge for the added labor and material to redeck.

This one I'm on my own and have to absorb the labor and pay for the materials. wtf indeed. if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

it's been 30 mph winds woth gusts to 55. It's been a fun morning. I'm thankful for lunch, let my ankles rest and unpucker a tad
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:04 pm so wooden shake shingles were covered over with two layers of standard shingles?

wtf
You just described my mom's house.
Broham
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:40 pm it's been 30 mph winds woth gusts to 55. It's been a fun morning. I'm thankful for lunch, let my ankles rest and unpucker a tad
Stay safe. I couldn't do it.
Broham