Weather

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Weather

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:08 am Ft. Lauderdale saw 6.5” of rain in 6 hours

you dry, Shirley?
(Just discovered this.)

I'm fine, thank you. But, there was a little flooding in our area (~ 50 miles south of Tampa) night before last. According to a local news outlet, we got 3.96" in an hour, which is a record. I live near the coast, and on the barrier island off the coast they got a total of 15" over a day and a half or so. Ft. Lauderdale and Miami over on the Atlantic coast and south of here are getting slammed. Miami is already a mess even after a normal amount of rain due to sea level rise, and this much rain day after day is a catastrophe for them.

It rained long and hard enough here I walked around inside of my house from room to room and looked at all the ceilings just to make sure my 1-year old $42,000 roof wasn't leaking, and as far as I can tell, so far so good. There's a pond across the street from my house that the day before it rained I thought was at its lowest level in the 5.5 years I've lived here, and now it's totally full.

Nice of you to ask.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

4” in an hour is insane
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:45 pm 4” in an hour is insane
^^^ It' was pretty bizarre.

When I took a bike ride yesterday afternoon when the sun finally came out, I rode through clouds of gnats that I assume had bloomed due to the effects of the first rain we've had in many, many weeks. I couldn't help but think of Humphrey Bogart and the leeches in the movie African Queen, with Katherine Hepburn.

Here's some video:

I was swarmed by a biblical quantity of gnats in Florida’s Everglades
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So it’s going to be 95 here with a heat index of 100 this week.
In June.
In Maine.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Florida sounds fucking amazing! Everyone should move there and retire.

On Monday morning when I go outside to set up our impromptu coffee lounge on the sidewalk in the Empire, it will be 45 degrees. Defix will come over and we might have a little wake and bake with our pastries. Later in the afternoon the sun will warm things up to about 80 and the humidity will drop to 10%. I might take a nap outside in the shade before I fire up the grill and cook a steak or something. Annie and I will prolly take a walk around town in the dark and watch the moon rise over the Sangre de Cristo Mts as the shrooms kick in.

If only we could afford to move to Florida. We are prolly stuck in Colorado though.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Tough life.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:48 am So it’s going to be 95 here with a heat index of 100 this week.
In June.
In Maine.
That is really, really sad.

I'd guess that's not what you were looking forward to when you made the decision to live there. I often think about going "up north" to Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Canada to go fishing to get away from the Florida summers, but not sure I'd be "getting away".
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:51 am Florida sounds fucking amazing! Everyone should move there and retire.

On Monday morning when I go outside to set up our impromptu coffee lounge on the sidewalk in the Empire, it will be 45 degrees. Defix will come over and we might have a little wake and bake with our pastries. Later in the afternoon the sun will warm things up to about 80 and the humidity will drop to 10%. I might take a nap outside in the shade before I fire up the grill and cook a steak or something. Annie and I will prolly take a walk around town in the dark and watch the moon rise over the Sangre de Cristo Mts as the shrooms kick in.

If only we could afford to move to Florida. We are prolly stuck in Colorado though.
If I understand you, if I move there you're volunteering to let me stay with you to convalesce after my next quadruple bypass surgery, so I don't need to stay here close to my daughter and granddaughters?
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Shirley wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:12 am
japhy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:51 am Florida sounds fucking amazing! Everyone should move there and retire.

If I understand you, if I move there you're volunteering to let me stay with you to convalesce after my next quadruple bypass surgery, so I don't need to stay here close to my daughter and granddaughters?
You can even sleep on Big Blue.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I have a spare bed . . . for variety.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sunny and 73 here. Sposeda hit upper 80s on Sunday
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

defixione wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:11 am I have a spare bed . . . for variety.

Thanks, staying with you, I wouldn't have to worry about my reputation.
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Shirley wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:10 am
pdub wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:48 am So it’s going to be 95 here with a heat index of 100 this week.
In June.
In Maine.
That is really, really sad.

I'd guess that's not what you were looking forward to when you made the decision to live there. I often think about going "up north" to Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Canada to go fishing to get away from the Florida summers, but not sure I'd be "getting away".
One of my reasons for moving even further North was because of global warming - it might start getting to be 90 in the summers here but that means it'll be 110 in most of America.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

up until the last few years, we’ve never regretted NOT installing an air cooler of some sort in the family cabin in the Black Hills. that might have to change
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

So.....

Current situation......
I could provide pics but for right now I am too lazy.
Shitload of boats out on the lake just sitting/anchored. About 3,4,5, miles away the clouds look the closest to a tornado that I have seen in a while. HELLO BOATERS!!!!!!

Severe Thunderstorm Warning
From Sun 5:04 pm until 5:45 pm CDT
1 of 6
Action Recommended
Take shelter in place or per instructions
Issued By
Chicago - IL, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Cook County
Description
The National Weather Service in Chicago has issued a

Severe Thunderstorm Warning for... Southeastern Kendall County in northeastern Illinois... Lake County in northeastern Illinois... Will County in northeastern Illinois... Northeastern Grundy County in northeastern Illinois... Northeastern McHenry County in northeastern Illinois... DuPage County in northeastern Illinois... Cook County in northeastern Illinois...

Until 545 PM CDT.

At 502 PM CDT, severe outflow winds from thunderstorms were located along a line extending from Channel Lake to Elk Grove Village to near Romeoville to near Morris, moving east at 35 mph. This strong surge of outflow winds from weakening thunderstorms will produce wind gusts of 50 to locally 60 mph, strong enough to down some trees and powerlines. These strong winds will be accompanied by little or no rain.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Expect damage to roofs, siding, and trees.

Severe thunderstorms will be near... Chicago, Joliet, Waukegan, Arlington Heights, Bolingbrook, Des Plaines, Mount Prospect, Downers Grove, Glenview, and Elmhurst around 510 PM CDT. Skokie, Orland Park, Berwyn, Oak Park, Austin, Highland Park, Wilmette, Zion, Brookfield, and Justice around 515 PM CDT. Cicero, Evanston, Oak Lawn, Irving Park, West Ridge, Burbank, Mokena, Palos Hills, Logan Square, and Humboldt Park around 520 PM CDT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a building.

Wind damage with these storms will occur before any rain or lightning. Do not wait for the sound of thunder before taking cover. SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY inside a sturdy structure and stay away from windows.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Yikes! Stay away from windows especially
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

No longer looks like a tornado but still doesn't look too good.

your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Sparko wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:29 pm Yikes! Stay away from windows especially
Yeah, 50 floors up with 9 windows in my living room is probably not the best place for me to be.
I'm not at all happy the scaffolding wires/ropes are right outside my windows.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Fort Kent, one of the northernmost cities in Maine and the site of a Canadian border crossing, is predicted to hit 101 degrees Wednesday. Caribou, Maine, could jump to 99, blasting past the city’s all-time record of 96 degrees.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

About 80 degrees with 74% humidity right now. Supposed to get up to the mid 90s.
That's what gets me - the humidity. The heat I can deal with.
Have a dermotoligst appointment at 1:15. I am NOT looking forward to walking there - and then back to work.
I'm supposed to go to the Cubs game tonight. I have a feeling I will spend most of the game inside. Which isn't so bad at all. I can watch the NBA Finals and the Cubs game on TV while being fed (free food).