Facebook, Google, et al

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Facebook, Google, et al

Post by ousdahl »

Dang.

It sucks from my point of view, cuz randy is so easy to shrug off.

He’ll post some kooky take from like some pimply Elon Musk Stan account with 8 followers, which can be debunked usually even by the own post’s comments.

I’ll post something like, “maybe we should think twice about giving Ukraine weapons, here’s like 2 dozen sources including the New York Times and PBS and CNN and the state department and DCHawk1 and Zelensky himself, to indicate the place is full of Nazis”

…then you guys throw a fit all like “STOP PARROTING PUTIN YOU ARE LITERALLY THE SAME AS RANDY”

It sucks.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“full of nazis”

jfc

this is why you don’t get taken seriously

but you do you
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

42 Attorneys General file suit against meta/fb alleging knowingly targeting children with addictive and harmful platform

on one hand i agree that social media in general knowingly applies processes that are harmful (to everyone, not just kids)

but, is it not the responsibility of parents to monitor device and social media use?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:43 am but, is it not the responsibility of parents to monitor device and social media use?
Yes, it is.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

So, what percentage of Elon fanboys have ever been at least covid-shot-microchip-curious?

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/30/business ... index.html
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:04 am So, what percentage of Elon fanboys have ever been at least covid-shot-microchip-curious?

It has to burn Leon that Bill Gates beat him to the punch implanting microchips.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:33 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:04 am So, what percentage of Elon fanboys have ever been at least covid-shot-microchip-curious?

It has to burn Leon that Bill Gates beat him to the punch implanting microchips.
I would not guess that the stoner movie Grandma's Boy is up your alley, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGUX1CgbSes
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:41 am
Shirley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:33 am

I would not guess that the stoner movie Grandma's Boy is up your alley, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGUX1CgbSes
Not really my style, but I did like this comment:

This movie predicted Elon Musk
Derek Cressman
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DOJ sues Apple over monopoly antitrust shit
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:55 pm DOJ sues Apple over monopoly antitrust shit
I watched AG Garland's news conference. He painted a compelling, vivid picture of how Apple has restrained its competition, not by having a superior product, but by breaking the law. (The Sherman Anti-Trust Act)

I say this as a total Apple devotee. Since switching reluctantly to Apple over 10 years ago, it has never, ever occurred to me to go back to PCs.

Also, Apple is my largest holding so I took a bath today, but from what AG Garland said, it's the right thing to do. The case is likely to take years.
Derek Cressman
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Surgeon General warning for social media platforms?

yes
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I guess?
I think you do that and you get eye rolls and chuckles and the kids just click right past the little warning.
But unlike drugs where probably 98% of parents won't allow in the home, social media can be pretty rampant at younger ages.

It's up to the parents here to try and limit the usage.
( probably easier said than done but gotta take the pain/stress of being strict and responsible )

13 on that article is listed as too young - that just happens to be the age where I think ( in the far future ) i'd let my kid sign up...but then you limit phone time using apps on their phone ( or else they don't get a phone ).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

A while back Bill Maher called the big tech bros “tobacco farmers in t-shirts.” That analogy may work.

But while I dunno if the answer here is a surgeon general warning specifically, I think it’s a good thing to at least make some attempt to address.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:54 pm A while back Bill Maher called the big tech bros “tobacco farmers in t-shirts.” That analogy may work.

But while I dunno if the answer here is a surgeon general warning specifically, I think it’s a good thing to at least make some attempt to address.
^^^

All sorts of things are age-restricted in our society. We know social media platforms create all kinds of problems for our society and kids especially, so why not those, too? Currently, they're largely "self-regulated", which means "unregulated". I'd suggest age 16 y/o.

Also, end the Section 230 immunity for platforms like Meta, TikTok, et al, if they use algorithms that promote public harms like physical and psychological disorders, suicidal ideation, sexual predation and exploitation, violence, genocide, etc. If we did that, you can be sure mendacious fucks like Zuckerberg would instantaneously convert from "it's impossible to moderate that type of content", to being much, much, much more able to.

/rant
Derek Cressman
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

As the Nation’s Doctor, the Surgeon General provides Americans with the best scientific information available on how to improve their health and reduce their risk of illness and injury.

The Surgeon General brings the best available scientific information to the public by issuing Surgeon General’s Advisories, Calls to Action, and Reports on critical issues and communicating directly with the public via a number of communication channels...

unless you don’t think “social media” is having an adverse effect on mental health, i don’t see the problem
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think it's a matter of algorithms.

There's gotta be some way to better regulate or tweak or curate or something. And I think a lot of it comes down to holding the tech bros accountable. When shit hits the fan they shouldn't be able to step back and say "hey don't point the finger at me just cuz so-and-so did something on my platform" when their algorithm is what made so-and-so's shit go viral.

Or something.

I still feel like we're so primed for some new social media that doesn't completely suck.

It shouldn't even be that difficult, either!

Just make a community networking platform designed around communities and networking! Rather than being designed around some consumer experience no one even asked for.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Checking in on Threads.

Has anyone fucked with it?

That seemed like such a fumble of a 1st-and-goal-on-the-1-yard-line sort of opportunity. Twitter was going down the shitter in real time, there was such an opportunity for a real-time discussion platform, and Threads was such a 1:1 copy of it.

But, leave it to Zuck to fuck it up. He didn't include real time discussions, didn't include keyword or hashtag searches, didn't include the current events or pols talk or real life networking and community interactions that made Twitter Twitter; but thought he could out-Twitter Twitter anyway.

It's just a Twitter lookalike throttled through the same shitty Meta algorithm that made Twitter users prefer Twitter in the first place.

Apparently it's mostly just influencers and corporate brand accounts trying to sell you shit? No thanks.

The whole "you're not gonna be able to delete Threads without deleting your Instagram account too" was a major miss as well.

anywho, so if it really needs to be said, I can't get to sleep. Torn between trying to figure out Reddit, or to go pick up chicks on Craigslist.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Derek Cressman
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I would like to see phones removed from children in ALL schools K-12. At the very least, blocked/off/stored from first bell to last bell. Generations managed without cell phones. Legit good educational and accessibility gains could be accessed via a tablet/ipad (out in the open with school blocks on). Put phones back out in the school foyers again or go use the bank of phones in the school office (which is what my district offers students K-9th that need to arrange a pickup). What has a cell phone helped with safety wise? More gruesome details of Uvalde? Cell phones have surely caused more fights than stopped them.
I think starting with removing them from school would help the parents a little bit that cave to the kids wishes for cell phones because everyone else has one.
But when I see toddlers in grocery carts holding cell phones, I wonder, what is the point and think about moving to another country where children are better protected.