More evidence that religious threads make you dum

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: More evidence that religious threads make you dum

Post by ousdahl »

The Bible is tricky to understand cuz “in 2000 years no one will know the difference between a butt dial and a booty call.”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Also, pope Francis dropping homophobic slurs
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... t-papyrus/

An account of Jesus as a boy is decoded from an ancient papyrus scrap

For decades, a clumsily written document sat unnoticed at a university library in Germany, believed to be nothing more than a very old, everyday note, such as a private letter or a shopping list. Now, more than a millennium and a half after it was written, researchers believe the papyrus fragment is no ordinary memo, but the oldest surviving written copy of a gospel detailing Jesus’ childhood.

After researchers noticed the word “Jesus” in the document, they decoded it “letter by letter and quickly realized that it could not be an everyday document,” Berkes said. Key terms including “crowing” and “branch” allowed them to compare it to other early Christian texts and identify it as an early copy of the Infancy Gospel of Thomas. The manuscript’s clumsy writing was long seen as a sign that it was an insignificant document, but now researchers believe it was created as an exercise at a school or monastery.

He notes that while the birth of Jesus is already recounted in the canonical gospels, this is the “earliest manuscript record that attests the childhood of Jesus in detail.”

The words on the fragment are believed to be part of a story in which a 5-year-old Jesus is playing near a stream and molding clay that he finds in the mud into sparrows. When Joseph scolds him and asks him why he is doing this on the Sabbath, or the day of rest, Jesus claps his hands and the figures come to life…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“Five loaves, two fishes…sorry boss, I thought it was just a shopping list”
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Another good part of that 'gospel' is when Jesus gets upset with his playmate and . . . kills him. Yes, he brought him back to life after his mother complained.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The non-canonical gospels fascinate me.

Pretty sure there are dozens (at least?)

IIRC the gospel of Mary Magdalene portrays her as less of a hoor and more of Jesus’s boo

And the gospel of Judas portrays him as less of a traitor and more of a double agent acting upon Jesus’s orders

And Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass.

But it blows my mind that, rather than embrace all the accounts of Jesus possible, the church adopted only four, and made possessing or even talking about the others punishable
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

It's a long story, but tldr: The bishops at Alexandria thought that the non-canonical texts played too much into the hands of the larger Christian Gnostic religion. Although the present day biblical Canon was not implemented at the 4th century council of Nicaea, there is evidence that the 'sacred' books of the Bible had already been established by Constantine's bishops.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Plenty of asshole Islams/Muslims, Hindus, Jews, etc.
I say that because my next comment is going to come off as my being anti-Christian. I'm not. I am anti-FAKE and/or intolerant Christian.

Why is it that 75% of the people who choose to be complete assholes on Twitter have the word Christian at/in the beginning of their bios?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Louisiana classrooms now required by law to display the Ten Commandments.

Maybe these Ten Commandments are more up to date?

1. Thou must bring a gun in to thy school - because the best defense for a bad kid with a gun is a good kid with a gun.
2. Before entering thy school, thou shall be required to pray to a Christian and only a Christian God in a verbal manner which must be at least 60 decibels and thou must thank God for the opportunity to be a servant of God and thy state of Louisiana.
3. Thou shall not impregnate thy teacher/student unless thy teacher or student is rated "hot" by a majority of fellow teachers and students.
4. Thou shall say the pledge of allegiance every morning at 9:00am and shall ADD the words Trump + and before the word God.
5. Thou shall identify thy self as a straight male or female. If thy student or teacher does not, thy student or teacher will be required to get the fuck out of school and may not return until thy student or teacher identifies as a straight male or female.
6. Thou shall be required to participate in at least one extra-curricular activity that ostracizes and alienates other students.
7. Thou shall not use a cell phone during class unless the cell phone is being used for religious or political rebuttal on social media.
8. Thou shall worship our current Republican Governor by kissing a photo of him while entering thy school.
9. Thou shall stand AND SING the national anthem when it is performed at school events and if thou refuses, thou will be permanently expelled.
10. Thou shall get a tattoo of the Louisiana state flag with a cross over it on thou's left chest on graduation day of 8th grade.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:54 pm Louisiana classrooms now required by law to display the Ten Commandments.

Maybe these Ten Commandments are more up to date?

1. Thou must bring a gun in to thy school - because the best defense for a bad kid with a gun is a good kid with a gun.
2. Before entering thy school, thou shall be required to pray to a Christian and only a Christian God in a verbal manner which must be at least 60 decibels and thou must thank God for the opportunity to be a servant of God and thy state of Louisiana.
3. Thou shall not impregnate thy teacher/student unless thy teacher or student is rated "hot" by a majority of fellow teachers and students.
4. Thou shall say the pledge of allegiance every morning at 9:00am and shall ADD the words Trump + and before the word God.
5. Thou shall identify thy self as a straight male or female. If thy student or teacher does not, thy student or teacher will be required to get the fuck out of school and may not return until thy student or teacher identifies as a straight male or female.
6. Thou shall be required to participate in at least one extra-curricular activity that ostracizes and alienates other students.
7. Thou shall not use a cell phone during class unless the cell phone is being used for religious or political rebuttal on social media.
8. Thou shall worship our current Republican Governor by kissing a photo of him while entering thy school.
9. Thou shall stand AND SING the national anthem when it is performed at school events and if thou refuses, thou will be permanently expelled.
10. Thou shall get a tattoo of the Louisiana state flag with a cross over it on thou's left chest on graduation day of 8th grade.
Right on cue....

ACLU
@ACLU
BREAKING: We’re suing Louisiana for requiring all public schools to display the Ten Commandments in every classroom.
Public schools are not Sunday schools.
4:40 PM · Jun 19, 2024
1.3M
Views

ACLU
@ACLU
Along with
@ACLUofLouisiana
@americansunited
@FFRF
we’ll fight with everything we have to stop this blatantly unconstitutional law.
4:48 PM · Jun 19, 2024
Views
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I wish I could take credit for the following.

When I was hungry, you put up posters of the 10 commandments in my classroom while making sure I didn't get school lunch.
Mathew 25:42
Broham
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:16 am I wish I could take credit for the following.

When I was hungry, you put up posters of the 10 commandments in my classroom while making sure I didn't get school lunch.
While that is super hilarious and I laughed out loud, Louisiana is actually pretty progressive on the free school lunch front. The are not 100% free to all students (the ideal for many reasons including nutritional, social, environmental), yet.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

The USA is not a Christian nation. It is a nation where you are free to be a Christian.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:47 am
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:16 am I wish I could take credit for the following.

While that is super hilarious and I laughed out loud, Louisiana is actually pretty progressive on the free school lunch front. The are not 100% free to all students (the ideal for many reasons including nutritional, social, environmental), yet.
Good to know.
Broham
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

I have Jewish friends who's kids go to private Christian/Catholic schools. Why? Because they are athletes and are either recruited or their parents make "considerable/substantial" donations to the school so their kids can play sports there. The Jewish kids are forced (but are willing) to partake in religious studies.
Why do I come away with a real sour feeling about ALL that - and why I feel it's a bad fricking joke on EVERYONE'S account when this occurs?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the ten commandments on the wall will not make you dumb. it might make you a better person. but it will not make you dumb.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

What does Trump get for breaking every one of them?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:15 am the ten commandments on the wall will not make you dumb. it might make you a better person. but it will not make you dumb.
MIGHT make you dumb if you are busy reading them and not paying attention in class.
MIGHT make you dumb if you don't realize different teachers are going to tell you different origins of the 10 Commandments and none of them are right and they are telling you a fairy tale. :?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:15 am the ten commandments on the wall will not make you dumb. it might make you a better person. but it will not make you dumb.
This of course is not the issue.
Our first Amendment has been interpreted to require a separation of church and state - state in this case being schools that are provided funds from the government.

The ten commandments are very much related to specific religion.
That's a no no and for good reason.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Nor will it make you smart. It has no place at a public educational facility. If you want your kids to learn religion then there is another government subsidized location for them to do that called a church, who gets to take up valuable land in our communities and use our community infrastructure without paying taxes.

I fully expect even this Supreme Court to rule that it should not be there.