KU FB offseason

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: KU FB offseason

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:27 pm Do you all remember this guy?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -threshold
There's a good chance that, on my deathbed, I will look back on us getting and keeping Lance at this most perilous moment for a program like ours, as the luckiest sports thing to happen to me in my lifetime.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Possibly but Lance will have to stay a while and win us some big games for it to overtake the Chiefs drafting Mahomes.

You also have to mention Bill Self's hire here too - we could have completely whiffed after roi backstabbed us but instead we got maybe a top 10 coach in all of college basketball history.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:48 pm Possibly but Lance will have to stay a while and win us some big games for it to overtake the Chiefs drafting Mahomes.

You also have to mention Bill Self's hire here too - we could have completely whiffed after roi backstabbed us but instead we got maybe a top 10 coach in all of college basketball history.
You are right on both of those. But there's a world where we end up left out of the musical chairs game altogether, and having a good - not just competent or even middling - football program ensures we clear that bar.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Of which, in this current state of change, if we were left out and had to play actual college sports, would be a big win for me so that doesn’t particularly help the argument.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

AlOerter wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:30 am Interesting signing for KU football per KU Sports.com:

"The Kansas football team picked up another in-state recruit on Sunday night in Tate Nagy, who plays quarterback at Blue Valley West but is expected to help KU bolster its future group of wide receivers.

Nagy joins Jackson Cook from Snellville, Georgia, among the wide receivers in the 2025 class who will play a role in accounting for the losses of Lawrence Arnold, Luke Grimm, Quentin Skinner and more following the 2024 season.

Nagy, a three-star prospect and the 14th commitment in the class overall for KU, is the son of Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator and former Chicago Bears head coach Matt Nagy."

Having a guy that presumably understands the game and has real NFL ties could be a valuable asset to the team.
Love this. He is HS QB but camped at KU as a WR. He going to be a player. But my fav is Safety Brandon Schmelzle. He is from Axtell Kansas plays 8-man football.

And in 2023: Threw for 1,500-plus yards, 29 TDs, and 0 INTs as a junior, leading Axtell to a 13-0 record and the Kansas 8-Man D-II state championship. Ran for 790 yards and 21 TDs on 7.60 yards per carry. Recorded 29 tackles, 9 INTs, 1 kick return TD, and 1 punt return TD.

We have our own COOPER DEJEAN here.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Saw the Schmelzle film. A man amongst kids. He would turn on the jets and miraculously leave a pile of defenders behind. He is really an X Factor.
Looking at the D-Line, it is actually not as depleted as I thought.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Love getting Kansas kids. Love having something to talk about regarding KU football in the middle of summer.
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

If anything, we're under-discussing KU Football heading into a season in which we'll be ranked with a lot of momentum and a possible Heisman-type QB leading the team (assuming health).

It's a real pinch me moment to get back to where this program was in 2007-2008 after over a decade in the desert.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think you hit the nail on the head - we know that the skill position talent is obscene. As in, better-than-2007 obscene.

However, there are questions on the offensive line, and questions about the quarterback's ability to stay healthy.

That's a nasty combination of things to worry about, and I believe it is absolutely weighing down the optimism for what absolutely could be the best season in program history.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

My own worry is that we lost an offensive genius coach and may lack imagination using the best skill position players. But if the Bowl game was a sign, that may be a silly worry.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

My worry is defense. I'm still not completely sold on Borland. I know coach Leipold is. It's just that historically, including last year, the numbers don't exactly wow me.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

AlOerter wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:29 pm My worry is defense. I'm still not completely sold on Borland. I know coach Leipold is. It's just that historically, including last year, the numbers don't exactly wow me.
Yeah. Now I am remembering no huddle greatness.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

The only concern is JD's health. I believe if he plays all year we in the hunt. They brought Grimes in with the direction to not delete anything and add a few wrinklies.

The defense has progressed but the issue from the get go was the switch from base 3-4 to a 4-3. The players to be effective are just different. This is the year where they all are where they suppose to be.
The CB's are elite and safety's should be good so if we stop the run and get after the QB on passing downs we will be ok. The key is get a few stops cause our offense is scoring.

Big game this year against the team that wears Purple. We need to win. We need to put them down. Bury them and never let them see the light of day again.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Sparko wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:00 pm My own worry is that we lost an offensive genius coach and may lack imagination using the best skill position players. But if the Bowl game was a sign, that may be a silly worry.
The fact we have a new OC has been largely ignored. I hope our group is so talented (and they do seem really really good…like goosebumps good for KU), that they can assimilate into a new system/coordinator’s scheme with ease.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:21 pm
Sparko wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:00 pm My own worry is that we lost an offensive genius coach and may lack imagination using the best skill position players. But if the Bowl game was a sign, that may be a silly worry.
The fact we have a new OC has been largely ignored. I hope our group is so talented (and they do seem really really good…like goosebumps good for KU), that they can assimilate into a new system/coordinator’s scheme with ease.
The new OC is Grimes. He is not changing the system/scheme he is just adding to. Grimes has some screens and jet sweeps he will probably add to what was already in. So the real question is JD running the ball. One of the major strengths of the RPO offense is JD running and that defenses can not scheme against that option. So with the new addition to the OL I think we can pound the running game. We have the depth at RB to just chew up clock and score points. This would keep the defense fresh.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Copy that on the scheme.

I’m just assuming Daniels plays 3-5 games tops. Just because.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Hoping KUFB withholds tickets at Arrowhead until they sell as many as possible to local fans. Then let ISU have some corner spots. Probably CU too.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

So Lindy's Magazine put out its unit rankings in its 2024 preseason magazine. This is like who has best WR room in college. KANSAS has the 3rd best secondary. So Ohio State, Florida State are ranked ahead of us and we in front of Georgia. I knew we were going to be good but this good.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Sparko wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:01 pm Hoping KUFB withholds tickets at Arrowhead until they sell as many as possible to local fans. Then let ISU have some corner spots. Probably CU too.
Drinking beer with a cousin last week. CU grad. He was excited about "getting" to play KU this year cuz it is an easy win in his eyes. The room lit up. I told him I would bet him whatever he wanted to bet that we beats the Buffs this year. I think Defix was in the room and he was laughing as well. My cousin Chuck got a look in his eyes that said he had no idea what KU was going to be this year. He decided that he would only bet a 6 pack of beer on the game. I asked if he wanted to bet on the Chiefs vs Broncos game as well and he got even more sheepish.
Nero is an angler in the lake of darkness
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Deion is everything I hate about the new college sports so I hope we beat him by 3 TDs +.