Israel/Palestine

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:18 am
Good for HIM. Maybe I mean bad for HIM?
What I think I mean is that he probably doesn't really know what is best for HIM or what is not best for HIM in regards to this issue - and as others have said, it's pretty much a no win situation for HIM.
There's no perfectly "right" thing that the US can do in this situation when the parties involved are both in the wrong. It is absolutely a no-win situation. Definitely one of the many shitty parts of the job.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:06 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:18 am
Good for HIM. Maybe I mean bad for HIM?
What I think I mean is that he probably doesn't really know what is best for HIM or what is not best for HIM in regards to this issue - and as others have said, it's pretty much a no win situation for HIM.
There's no perfectly "right" thing that the US can do in this situation when the parties involved are both in the wrong. It is absolutely a no-win situation. Definitely one of the many shitty parts of the job.
^^^

Sadly, same as it ever was since 1948.

Which makes attempts to hang this around Biden's neck fatuous, as best.

President Biden is threatening to cut off weapons if Israel invades Rafah, sparking a fiery response from Senator Lindsey Graham who criticizes the withholding of support as endangering Israel's existence amidst regional threats. Joe Scarborough reacts to his latest political gesturing: "Does he really think we're that stupid? They were the ones holding up support for Israel for months, and, now, he's doing the Jimmy Swaggart routine, crying and being self-righteous? We know what happened! Come on, Lindsey!"

'Does he really think we're that stupid?': Joe reacts to Lindsey Graham's latest political gesturing
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Those that want to find fault with Biden will do so no matter what he chooses to do. Bitching and complaining and blaming the people in charge is how people with no plan of their own stay relevant.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/09/politics ... index.html

A timeline of the decisions and conversations with Israel for those who think this just popped into his head in response to watching college kids protest for a few weeks.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

why does hamas continue moving goalposts in the ceasefire negotiations?

(rhetorical)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:14 am why does hamas continue moving goalposts in the ceasefire negotiations?

(rhetorical)
Because they don't want a cease fire and an end to the killing of civilian Palestinians?

What do I win?
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:31 am
KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:14 am why does hamas continue moving goalposts in the ceasefire negotiations?

(rhetorical)
Because they don't want a cease fire and an end to the killing of civilian Palestinians?

What do I win?
do you really wanna know what you win? I don't think you do
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:17 am Those that want to find fault with Biden will do so no matter what he chooses to do. Bitching and complaining and blaming the people in charge is how people with no plan of their own stay relevant.
I agree with you to a degree but.....

I feel many (if not all) of the faults I find with Biden to be justifiable - at least to me it is justifiable.
I feel most (if not all) of the bitching, and complaining, and blaming, I do in regards to "the people in charge" is justifiable - at least to me it is justifiable.
Now what if I told you I DO have "plans" of my own and in the past 12 or so years I have spoken with people ranging from former Presidents, current and former Cabinet members, a former Speaker of the House, current and former Governors, current and former Senators and Representatives, current and former Mayors, Chicago City Council Members, Aldermen/Alderwomen, States Attorneys, Secretary of States, etc. etc. etc. etc. and despite all that, I feel I am probably NOT too relevant - but at least I try and walk the walk?
Sorry! I just feel unlike most people who bitch among/st themselves about our "leaders" on social media, I have/had a relationship with these people and I have made/make an effort to at least have my voice heard.
randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

good on you, gutter

i’d imagine most internet bitchers (aka keyboard activists) haven’t even written their legislators, let alone gone to the effort you seem to have
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Some took effort but I have to admit most didn't.
Those who didn't take effort, were because of my job (and relationships) and my helping to coordinate meetings and/or my meeting these people at functions (public and private). Some I worked directly for and with.
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

This intractable situation is the result of Israeli and Palestine radicals calling the shots. America can say "enough!" only by putting a lot of troops between the factions, and I can only imagine what Ous would say then. The instability there is a direct result of Trump's incompetence. Moving the embassy to Jerusalem. Halting the nuclear disarmament treaty with Iran. Killing Iranian leaders in a extrajudicial way. Coddling Bibi by encouraging more settlements on Palestinian land. Emboldening and appeasing Russia. Biden had to play a lot of catch-up, but the war in Ukraine I think pushed Russia to look for Distractions. Hamas doesn't seem to represent Palestinian interests, does it? The real answer is they are continuing the fight because it benefits their sponsors and leadership (who are well compensated).
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:23 pm Some took effort but I have to admit most didn't.
Those who didn't take effort, were because of my job (and relationships) and my helping to coordinate meetings and/or my meeting these people at functions (public and private). Some I worked directly for and with.
even taking the initiative to engage and take advantage of the fortuitous situation takes a bit of…courage?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:50 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:23 pm Some took effort but I have to admit most didn't.
even taking the initiative to engage and take advantage of the fortuitous situation takes a bit of…courage?
Yes, and I sincerely appreciate your kind words!
I refer to myself as a "nobody", but I also realize that a lot of "nobody's" feel they don't have a voice and are not heard. Which is sad to me.
I feel if enough "nobodies" do speak up, it can (and sometimes does) make a difference. There is power in numbers.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Somehow, I think Harlan Crow's voice will be heard over mine.

Keep up the good fight, Gutter.
Broham
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

WSJ:

Gaza’s war-weary population is growing increasingly frustrated with the fruitless cycles of cease-fire talks, as a new poll of Palestinians shows support for Hamas dwindling in the enclave.

“Hamas drove the bus to the edge and lost control,” said Omaima Abu Eida, a 58-year-old Gaza resident. “They are not negotiating for us, they are negotiating to stay in power after all this devastation.” 

Fadi Awad, 32, an electrician and father of five living in a tent in central Gaza, said he was fed up with the negotiations and that Hamas was out of touch. “We hear positive talks, then pull back, then breakthrough, then it all falls apart and with it, our lives,” Awad said. 

“Our leaders, Hamas, the Arabs, they watch us on TV from their hotels,” he added. “[They] do not know what it’s like to run for your life, hungry and barefoot.”…
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Which is a distillation of what I said above.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Just read a message.
Basically said, Hezbollah=Lebanon=Iran, and that if Israel is truly concerned about its future and existence, then Israel should be placing a lot more focus on Lebanon and less on Gaza.
I'm not educated enough on the subject to understand all the facets but as a simpleton, I can't/won't disagree.
BIG problem is if (and when?) Israel goes in to a full fledge war with Lebanon, I think Israel would be more fucked than if they didn't. Either way, it sure seems they are fucked.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Imagine if they did this in the hood. I have Jewish family members, friends, and co-workers, who live very close to where this occurred. Crazy thing is this happened the same night the Highland Park shooter went to court and his sentence is now being delayed and it stirred up a lot of shit for people in the community. For those who don't know, he shot and killed multiple Jews two 4th of Julys ago - including but not limited to some close family friends of mine.

This story and video is about the "protesters".
https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/pr ... land-park/

As I was typing that, I was watching the local CBS news on TV and one of my good friends (Luke Sauer) who is NOT Jewish (I have very fond memories of his family always welcoming me and ALL of their Jewish friends to their house to celebrate Christmas with them) was being interviewed with his wife and child. They were at the Pride parade and talking about the importance of raising their child in a diverse neighborhood where people are accepting of one another.
Right on cue, Palestinian protesters marching, preaching hatred and division.

I am ok with people expressing themselves and their being upset about what is happening in Gaza but I am 100% against them doing it in an asshole manner. Those who do, FUCK 'EM!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

At some point, assholes need to get the Mayor Daily treatment
Broham
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jhawks99 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:19 pm At some point, assholes need to get the Mayor Daily treatment
DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!
Since you said that, I am going up to M's (even though I am confident you were referring to J) office right now to take in the aura and reminisce.