an even more frightening perspective

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Re: an even more frightening perspective

Post by japhy »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:50 am As I read your article, I was thinking how "they" could possibly spread enough baking soda around Alaska to counteract the acidic metals being released.
And this is why society will be leaning on engineers to save the world, not doctors.

When my daughter graduated from KU 5 years ago we went to her Eng School graduation ceremony in AFH. The Dean gave a speech about the place of engineers in the future. My wife turned to me afterwards and said something to the effect of "So engineers will be running the world in the future huh? That's pretty egotistic.". I told her we already do keep the world turning, it will just be more obvious in the future.

If you have kids or grandkids, take them to a nearby Engineering School before they graduate high school and show them the labs. Have them talk to some professors.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:06 am
Shirley wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:50 am As I read your article, I was thinking how "they" could possibly spread enough baking soda around Alaska to counteract the acidic metals being released.
And this is why society will be leaning on engineers to save the world, not doctors.

When my daughter graduated from KU 5 years ago we went to her Eng School graduation ceremony in AFH. The Dean gave a speech about the place of engineers in the future. My wife turned to me afterwards and said something to the effect of "So engineers will be running the world in the future huh? That's pretty egotistic.". I told her we already do keep the world turning, it will just be more obvious in the future.

If you have kids or grandkids, take them to a nearby Engineering School before they graduate high school and show them the labs. Have them talk to some professors.
In the physics and chemistry classes we shared, engineering students used to scare the shit out of we pre-med students because they often knew what they were doing, and we were afraid they'd skew the grading curve upward.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

My son majored in mathematics at Montclair. Then went into law. Sigh.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

My daughter majored in Civil Engineering at statie. She is now a nurse.
Broham
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:06 am My daughter majored in Civil Engineering at statie. She is now a nurse.
None of our business, but mind telling us why she changed?
Derek Cressman
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

She didn't think there was any jobs/money in it.
Broham
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i think there’s definitely more money, and probably geographic freedom, in nursing
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:08 pm i think there’s definitely more money, and probably geographic freedom, in nursing
^^^

These days Nurses can write their own ticket in many ways. Talk about a "growth industry". Can you say, "demographics"?

There was already a shortage before so many retired or left after discovering that a large % of Americans afford them little to no respect or professional or personal consideration if it means they have to be inconvenienced, like during the recent pandemic. Hopefully, those who are willing to persist will be duly compensated. Scarcity nearly assures it.
Derek Cressman
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:50 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:54 pm and this isn’t getting near as much attention as it should be, imo:

https://www.un.org/en/chronicle/article ... bed-mining

the UN International Seabed Authority is getting ready to rule on initial regulations for opening up parts of the deep ocean to mineral extraction (namely, polymetallic nodules)

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2023/07/13 ... cal-threat

climate solution? ecological threat? both?

the UN has said that the ocean bed belongs to all of humanity, yet a small group of people (some with direct ties to mining companies) are likely going to be deciding it’s fate
https://funds-europe.com/news/financial ... sea-mining

A group of 36 financial institutions managing over 3.3 trillion euros in assets has released a joint statement calling on governments to refrain from deep-sea mining until its potential risks are understood.
https://youtu.be/qW7CGTK-1vA?si=78YIn2XuGuTAKkzx

shout out to sodium ion batteries
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Climate activists paint Stonehenge orange

And also Taylor Swift’s private plane
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Hurricane Beryl, which formed Saturday evening, has rapidly intensified into a major Category 4 storm and is expected to hit Barbados and the Windward Islands early Monday.

Why it matters: The storm is rewriting hurricane history. Its early formation, rapid intensification and location are all record-breaking.

Threat level: Hurricane Beryl is expected to bring "Potentially catastrophic hurricane-force winds" and "a life-threatening storm surge" to the Windward Islands, with tropical storm force winds beginning Sunday night, the National Hurricane Center stated.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

is hurricane burl any threat to Michigan.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Hurricane Burl threatens Michigan with catchy folk music and picnics
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’m sure no michiganders tourist in that part of the world
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

here ya go, mich…a little closer to home (just a couple hour plane ride, or so i’ve heard)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 134650007/
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

my 18-19 year-old self wouldn’t have fathomed that the glaciers i was seeing would be gone in my own lifetime

https://www.reuters.com/business/enviro ... %20Tuesday

there’s an extra poignancy when you’ve witnessed their majesty first-hand
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Wonder what happens first....humans extinct themselves or an asteroid extents humans?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:58 pm Wonder what happens first....humans extinct themselves or an asteroid extents humans?
Humans. We will die a slow death….wishing an asteroid would just finish us off.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy