Charges

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Charges

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:24 am MSNBC:

There was very bad news for Donald Trump in Monday’s Supreme Court decision, and arguably even worse news for candidate Trump. That’s because Mike Pence is going to walk into a federal courtroom, raise his right hand, take an oath to tell the truth, and testify against Trump in this case in September for an evidentiary hearing.

What Monday’s decision did was give Trump absolute immunity applying to one paragraph of the indictment. The rest of the indictment goes back to Judge Tanya Chutkan’s courtroom, where the Supreme Court has ordered her to have a hearing about the evidence in the case to determine whether Trump’s actions were “official acts,” meaning they may be protected by immunity, or not. That goes for everything in the case, except for one conversation that Trump had with the acting attorney general...
similar take:

https://www.salon.com/2024/07/02/all-th ... ckfire-on/
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:24 am MSNBC:

There was very bad news for Donald Trump in Monday’s Supreme Court decision, and arguably even worse news for candidate Trump. That’s because Mike Pence is going to walk into a federal courtroom, raise his right hand, take an oath to tell the truth, and testify against Trump in this case in September for an evidentiary hearing.

What Monday’s decision did was give Trump absolute immunity applying to one paragraph of the indictment. The rest of the indictment goes back to Judge Tanya Chutkan’s courtroom, where the Supreme Court has ordered her to have a hearing about the evidence in the case to determine whether Trump’s actions were “official acts,” meaning they may be protected by immunity, or not. That goes for everything in the case, except for one conversation that Trump had with the acting attorney general...
I’ll believe it when I see it.

By allowing Thomas to give Cannon a dismissal roadmap in a dissent to an unrelated (legally speaking) case, Roberts and the rest of the Court are tipping their hands about everything they’ll do.

Given that this “hearing” or “mini-trial” is without precedent, and doesn’t slot into established rules and practices, I fully expect Trump to hide behind delays and appeals and simple obstinacy in a way that effectively prevents public revealing of the evidence.

I said last night in another thread that we’re going to see some off-script emptying of the magazines. This is the time. It is time for anyone who knows anything to say it, or have it entombed along with everything else.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

good, i guess?

given how easily opinions on such things seems to change for justices, i’m not sure how much i believe her

https://www.salon.com/2024/07/02/justic ... rs-scheme/
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:05 am good, i guess?

given how easily opinions on such things seems to change for justices, i’m not sure how much i believe her

https://www.salon.com/2024/07/02/justic ... rs-scheme/
Generally, same comment as above. The goalposts are mobile. I'm old enough to remember when the R chucklefucks told me that impeachment wasn't the remedy for January 6, because Trump was subject to criminal prosecution. And then they told me that you can't prosecute criminally without impeachment. And then they told me that you can't prosecute criminally at all.

And again, need to zoom out: as a PRACTICAL matter, immunity has been conferred. And Roberts told you, in the opinion, that the Court has no reach into the pardon power. Meaning that we should all expect a self-pardon the moment he's sworn in (along, of course, with the announcement of investigations into all of his enemies, even though I'm told that would be weaponization of the DOJ).
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Chucklefuckery. The word of 2024
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Wow! Some days you're the windshield...

In a stunning move Friday, Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer has dismissed the indictment against Alec Baldwin. The case was dismissed with prejudice, meaning prosecutors cannot bring it back.

See moment judge throws out case against Alec Baldwin
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The whole prosecution was a clown show.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 5:28 pm Wow! Some days you're the windshield...

In a stunning move Friday, Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer has dismissed the indictment against Alec Baldwin. The case was dismissed with prejudice, meaning prosecutors cannot bring it back.

See moment judge throws out case against Alec Baldwin
The case was dismissed because the prosecution failed to produce evidence favorable to the defendant. That’s called exculpatory evidence.

Say, hypothetically, a President orders his DOJ to withhold conclusive exculpatory evidence in a federal proceeding against an investigative journalist, and preemptively pardons the relevant DOJ personnel, all in exchange for a $10 billion payment from a foreign sovereign being investigated by that journalist, which payment is expressly contingent upon the prosecution securing a verdict in its favor (which is what happens).

But please, tell me more about Biden’s age.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I refuse to recognize immunity in a man and party that doesn't believe it can be conferred by vaccination.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cannon baselessly dismisses the document charges.

We've gone mad.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:19 am Cannon baselessly dismisses the document charges.

We've gone mad.
I've only read 2 articles about it so far, and some admittedly is over my head.....so, if you don't mind, care to elaborate why you say "baselessly" dismisses?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:51 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:19 am Cannon baselessly dismisses the document charges.

We've gone mad.
I've only read 2 articles about it so far, and some admittedly is over my head.....so, if you don't mind, care to elaborate why you say "baselessly" dismisses?
Because the theory of the dismissal has been litigated dozens and dozens of times, if not more. She is, with SCOTUS' encouragement, making shit up.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I would assume that this will hit the desk of the Appeals court ASAP. From what I have seen, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit as already overturned a few other decisions by Cannon. This just drags this out even longer in hopes that Trump gets elected and has it quashed forever.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:05 am I would assume that this will hit the desk of the Appeals court ASAP. From what I have seen, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit as already overturned a few other decisions by Cannon. This just drags this out even longer in hopes that Trump gets elected and has it quashed forever.
Yes - but I'm old enough to remember when the Supreme Court declared Republican presidents to be above the law, so I'm not assuming shit at that level any longer.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

At a certain point, the SCOTUS will have to be ignored like Taney. They have already made up their alternate constitution a few times already.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

apparently Clarence Thomas offered a concurrence that gave the playbook for the desired right wing outcome, and Cannon cited it at least 5 different times, plus a Thomas dissent?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

That is correct.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

BREAKING: Democratic Senator Bob Menendez tells allies he will resign after his corruption conviction

Derek Cressman
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:41 am BREAKING: Democratic Senator Bob Menendez tells allies he will resign after his corruption conviction

Glad Menendez (traitor)was finally convicted after weaseling out of his indictment in 2017.
Glad you’re not equivocating his indictments with Trumps.
Last edited by dolomite on Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Originally Imzcount (Why do politicians think “hope” is a plan ?)
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

It takes some nerve to dodge a bullet like he did in '17, only to then load up on ill-gotten gains in the form of gold bars, hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash, and a Mercedes for your wife while selling your country out by acting as a foreign agent like Menendez did. Hubris*, while accurate, doesn't seem like strong enough a word.

And, that's not to mention, throwing your wife who has just been diagnosed with cancer under the bus in an effort to save your ass, in the process.

*Hubris, or less frequently hybris, describes a personality quality of extreme or excessive pride or dangerous overconfidence and complacency, often in combination with arrogance.
Derek Cressman