serve and protect

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: serve and protect

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:00 pm

I will point out that Columbus is in Ohio, and Milwaukee is in Wisconsin.
There’s a Bob Huggins joke in there somewhere
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:36 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:18 pm
If you like law enforcement officers operating outside of their jurisdictions, outside of their jurisdictional command and control, arguably outside their legal bounds, then you may be in luck come January of next year.
In todays edition of “vote for Biden or else what is happening right now is going to keep happening…”
You seriously are on the verge of rendering this site uninhabitable
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Honestly, I might give you a few threads in the pols bored. If we disagree on the pols bored, I mean, it’s the pols bored, it happens.

But if you’re gonna let pols bored disagreements ruin the entire site for you, especially when I make the effort to post non-political content on other boreds as my usual goofy self anyway, I’m afraid that may be less my own doing, and more you just holding some petty pols bored grudge.

I encourage you to consider that, and to avoid anything so unfortunate.

(I mean for real dude, you repeatedly insulted me over fucking strawberries!)
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

you're non pols content is fucking terrible. don't kid yourself
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:15 am you're non pols content is fucking terrible. don't kid yourself
He's just being his usual goofy self. Trying out his low budget comedy routine.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:07 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:00 pm Howsabout the Columbus police officer who shot and killed a homeless guy near the RNC in Milwaukee?

I will point out that Columbus is in Ohio, and Milwaukee is in Wisconsin.
I'm sorry. What am I missing here?
Of course there were police from other cities and states at the RNC. Why wouldn't there be?
Apparently it wasn't just one officer who shot at him and they didn't just walk up to a homeless guy and shoot him. Did you watch the body cam video? The homeless guy was in the process of attacking another person and disobeyed police orders.
Now did they "have" to kill him? Maybe not but if they didn't there would have been a whole lot of people saying why did the cops allow him to stab and kill the other guy.
If I understand correctly, this law enforcement officer wasn't, like, a cop attending a rally on his private time. Who just happened to actually be the "good guy with a gun".

He was in uniform, working in "an operational zone to which [he was] assigned," according to the Columbus PD.

If you like law enforcement officers operating outside of their jurisdictions, outside of their jurisdictional command and control, arguably outside their legal bounds, then you may be in luck come January of next year.

Don't get me wrong - I'm aware cops do "part time" in uniform, I'm aware that agencies lend each other people. But wherever the line is, for me it is crossed by this situation.
You know much better than me what constitutes "their legal bounds" and I respect your feelings in regards to this situation.

My worthless 2 cents....
Cops were hired to, and I was led to believe within "their legal bounds", to protect the area they were assigned to.
It seems the two people involved in the dispute were NOT a threat to anyone other than themselves at the time of the incident so.... That's where the million dollar question comes in to play.
What "rights" did the Cops have, and did they have "legal authority" to play all the roles of local cop/s in that situation?
While unfortunate, they took one man's life - but it MAY have been necessary to do to save another man's life.
As I say too often, we can play "what ifs" all day. My question to anyone/everyone becomes - what if that was your loved one that was being attacked by the guy with the knife and god forbid the cops didn't use "by any means necessary" and your loved one was stabbed and killed?
I know that's a much too simple way to look at it but to me it's the bottom line question.
For the sake of the guy who was being attacked, I say - good thing the cops were there and did A job. Notice how I didn't say "their" job - because frankly I don't know if it was their job within "their legal bounds".
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pretty sure there's like Supreme Court precedent that says police don't actually have a duty to protect
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:51 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:07 pm

I'm sorry. What am I missing here?
Of course there were police from other cities and states at the RNC. Why wouldn't there be?
Apparently it wasn't just one officer who shot at him and they didn't just walk up to a homeless guy and shoot him. Did you watch the body cam video? The homeless guy was in the process of attacking another person and disobeyed police orders.
Now did they "have" to kill him? Maybe not but if they didn't there would have been a whole lot of people saying why did the cops allow him to stab and kill the other guy.
If I understand correctly, this law enforcement officer wasn't, like, a cop attending a rally on his private time. Who just happened to actually be the "good guy with a gun".

He was in uniform, working in "an operational zone to which [he was] assigned," according to the Columbus PD.

Don't get me wrong - I'm aware cops do "part time" in uniform, I'm aware that agencies lend each other people. But wherever the line is, for me it is crossed by this situation.
You know much better than me what constitutes "their legal bounds" and I respect your feelings in regards to this situation.

My worthless 2 cents....
Cops were hired to, and I was led to believe within "their legal bounds", to protect the area they were assigned to.
It seems the two people involved in the dispute were NOT a threat to anyone other than themselves at the time of the incident so.... That's where the million dollar question comes in to play.
What "rights" did the Cops have, and did they have "legal authority" to play all the roles of local cop/s in that situation?
While unfortunate, they took one man's life - but it MAY have been necessary to do to save another man's life.
As I say too often, we can play "what ifs" all day. My question to anyone/everyone becomes - what if that was your loved one that was being attacked by the guy with the knife and god forbid the cops didn't use "by any means necessary" and your loved one was stabbed and killed?
I know that's a much too simple way to look at it but to me it's the bottom line question.
For the sake of the guy who was being attacked, I say - good thing the cops were there and did A job. Notice how I didn't say "their" job - because frankly I don't know if it was their job within "their legal bounds".
I don’t, either, as a legal matter.

I just think it’s very very icky - which feeling certainly is influenced by what I (fairly or otherwise) am inclined to assume about the sorts of Ohio cops who would have signed up for this particular extra-jurisdictional job.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:56 pm Shit is about to go down in Springfield IL. Releasing body cam footage in about an hour of a really bad officer involved shooting.
"I rebuke you in the name of Jesus"

pretty wild thing to say to a cop while you're holding a pot of boiling water
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:15 am you're non pols content is fucking terrible. don't kid yourself
^^^^^^^^^^^
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:52 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:56 pm Shit is about to go down in Springfield IL. Releasing body cam footage in about an hour of a really bad officer involved shooting.

Yes. Still, he shouldn't have shot her in the head several times.

He'll have the rest of his life in jail to think about the choice he made.

They were so close to leaving. The car in the driveway having a broken window that they were curious about caused them to stay and go inside when they didn't need to.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:16 am

They were so close to leaving. The car in the driveway having a broken window that they were curious about caused them to stay and go inside when they didn't need to.
Video

https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1 ... 5857288290
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:03 am
^^^^^^^^^^^
I post more fresh hoops bored content than anyone.

And, for years we enjoyed quite the dialogue about great outdoors stuff. Yet now, you act like that somehow never happened.

from my point of view, you're so worked up about my pols content that you're holding a grudge about everything else.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:23 am
^^^^^^^^^^^
You give yourself way too much credit.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:32 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:23 am
^^^^^^^^^^^
You give yourself way too much credit.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, it’s fucked up.

The cops were even the ones who told her to go get the pot!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:25 am

Yeah, it’s fucked up.

The cops were even the ones who told her to go get the pot!
Cynic me would say something about an officer intentionally putting a person in a position where they now have a "dangerous weapon" in their hand that now justifies them being shot.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Situations like this are where the expression "defund the cops" came from.

Stop buying armored personnel carriers and preparing police departments for war with Americans, and spend that money instead on community resources, including for situations similar to this where you're dealing with someone who, in this case, was mentally ill and not in need of law enforcement, but help coping with reality.

Of course, Republicans saw an opportunity to twist the expression into a lie they could use as a weapon against people trying to help other people, and here we are, yet again.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

She was clearly having a mental health crisis.

Who really gives a fuck about the POS car window. Or what her identity is.

They checked out the area and let her know there was no intruder. All they had to do was leave. She called them in the first place.

They almost left.

Instead he stayed to hassle her for a pointless ID and now she's dead and his life is likely over.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i don’t at all understand the motivation to shoot rather than just leave the room or step away from the house

also, taser? pepper spray? wounding shot rather than multiples to the head?

seems there were so many, better, choices the officers could and should have made