RNC

Ugh.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: RNC

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:16 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:08 am
Sparko wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:10 am They are immoral grifters and embeciles. Need to work hard to keep Idiocracy at bay. Including the pro rasslers.
While watching (and listening), I was paying more attention to the crowd shots than I was to Trump.
Then today I watched some crowd reactions to the speakers and "performers".
A lot of people who seemed to be under a spell. Probably because they were/are under a spell.
For what and why? This is the shit that they want to be associated and enamored with? Child please!
This is the polar opposite of my father's Republican Party.
Because it's a messianic cult.
Yes.
I still don't and may never understand it - other than we live in a world where people are easily manipulated.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Shirley wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:43 am
Sparko wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:10 am They are immoral grifters and embeciles. Need to work hard to keep Idiocracy at bay. Including the pro rasslers.
While watching (and listening), I was paying more attention to the crowd shots than I was to Trump.
A lot of people who seemed to be under a spell. Probably because they were/are under a spell.
For what and why? This is the shit that they want to be associated and enamored with? Child please!
I've regularly shed a psychological tear for the "normal" republicans and conservatives, people like your father and DC, whose party has abandoned them. I wonder how in the world I would feel if, as a liberal Democrat, I suffered the same fate Then I come to my senses and recall that what we see today isn't a random accident, but the fruits of over a half century of the dedicated never waning Republican efforts to win the support of White racists and religious zealots.

I'll spare you the details, but appealing to bigots and racists isn't an accident, it was a plan hatched by Nixon and his buddies back in the late 60's as an effort to get southern Democrats to become Republicans after LBJ signed the Civil Rights and Voting Rights acts. You know, to treat Blacks like real people, and allow Americans who might not support you to vote, nonetheless.

Southern Baptists weren't anti-abortion when Roe v Wade was decided in '73. They were reluctant to be against abortion in part because it would make them appear to be falling prey to, acceeding to, getting too close to, Catholic policies. So, years later in '79 conservative activists found that being pro-segregated schools was too offensive a tool to use to appeal to religious voters, so they decided to champion anti-abortion on moral grounds as an appeal to evangelical Christians.

Presto-chango, the next thing you know you've got Jerry Falwell and the Moral Majority to wage war on the godless liberals who want to kill babies, and half a century later you look around and you're up to your neck not only in Christian Nationalists, but White supremacists and racists, too!

#somuchwinning
A very well thought out (or at least intelligent ;) ) response.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 4:45 pm

Yes.
I still don't and may never understand it - other than we live in a world where people are easily manipulated.
Yes, but - I think there's a lot of truth in this also:
From the RNC on Wednesday night:

[picture of MASS DEPORTATION NOW signs]

I’ve spent a lot of time talking about Biden, Harris, Trump, and Vance of late, but it’s worth noting something important here: American politics isn't really about Great Men or Great Women leading from the top down. What the people want still matter. And if we fail to acknowledge that a hell of a lot of people in this country want some truly odious things we’re missing a big part of the picture.

Trumpism and all of the extremism that goes with it is not salient because Trump articulated a fascist agenda for the first time and convinced people to help him advance it. He and those around him recognized that there are millions upon millions of people in this country who already liked and wanted that stuff but who had no one speaking to them about it and expressing their agreement with it so plainly. Trump has harnessed a longstanding ugliness in this country. He’s given voice to the desires of the tens of millions of people who want to round up, brutalize, and deport immigrants. He’s given voice to the tens of millions of people who want women to be, for all practical purposes, the property of men. He’s given voice to the tens of millions of people who are just fine with abolishing democracy and instituting an authoritarian regime because they believe that regime will favor them and will punish those who they hate and they want punished.

Trump, Vance and their ilk have not been successful because of their cunning. They have been successful because they tapped into something very real, very large, and very ugly in the American body politic. We spend all day talking tactics, candidates, and who has won the news cycle, but that basic fact has never changed.

In the course of all of the should-Biden-drop-out drama, people are already talking about the recriminations and cross-recriminations which will fly if Trump wins again in November. For me the larger, most disappointing thing -- win or lose -- will be the reminder that roughly 80 million voters WANT fascism. That they are OK with it. And that many of them will pursue violence if they don’t get it, even if it’s soundly defeated in an election.

That’s the problem America faces. And it’s bigger than all of the other problems we have.
https://cupofcoffee.beehiiv.com/p/cup-c ... ly-19-2024
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:47 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 4:45 pm

Yes.
Yes, but - I think there's a lot of truth in this also:
From the RNC on Wednesday night:

[picture of MASS DEPORTATION NOW signs]

I’ve spent a lot of time talking about Biden, Harris, Trump, and Vance of late, but it’s worth noting something important here: American politics isn't really about Great Men or Great Women leading from the top down. What the people want still matter. And if we fail to acknowledge that a hell of a lot of people in this country want some truly odious things we’re missing a big part of the picture.

Trumpism and all of the extremism that goes with it is not salient because Trump articulated a fascist agenda for the first time and convinced people to help him advance it. He and those around him recognized that there are millions upon millions of people in this country who already liked and wanted that stuff but who had no one speaking to them about it and expressing their agreement with it so plainly. Trump has harnessed a longstanding ugliness in this country. He’s given voice to the desires of the tens of millions of people who want to round up, brutalize, and deport immigrants. He’s given voice to the tens of millions of people who want women to be, for all practical purposes, the property of men. He’s given voice to the tens of millions of people who are just fine with abolishing democracy and instituting an authoritarian regime because they believe that regime will favor them and will punish those who they hate and they want punished.

Trump, Vance and their ilk have not been successful because of their cunning. They have been successful because they tapped into something very real, very large, and very ugly in the American body politic. We spend all day talking tactics, candidates, and who has won the news cycle, but that basic fact has never changed.

In the course of all of the should-Biden-drop-out drama, people are already talking about the recriminations and cross-recriminations which will fly if Trump wins again in November. For me the larger, most disappointing thing -- win or lose -- will be the reminder that roughly 80 million voters WANT fascism. That they are OK with it. And that many of them will pursue violence if they don’t get it, even if it’s soundly defeated in an election.

That’s the problem America faces. And it’s bigger than all of the other problems we have.
https://cupofcoffee.beehiiv.com/p/cup-c ... ly-19-2024
It’s actually very simple: If you don’t want to be deported, don’t come here illegally. I don’t feel sorry for people who break our laws and make our country a worse place to live.
Imagine a life so devoid of accomplishments that you feel the need to lie about working at McDonald’s.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So which tribe are you?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Go be glib with someone who thinks your act is clever.
Imagine a life so devoid of accomplishments that you feel the need to lie about working at McDonald’s.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If I wanted to be glib I’d say something like…

You’re worried about the tyranny of kings but I’m worried about the tyranny of absolute QUEENS

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Who determines someone is illegal makes a difference. Demographic cliff is a real thing everywhere but places with robust immigration.

It is a real economic engine for America, which is why Russia hits the jingoistic anti immigrant button hard through their shills
Last edited by Sparko on Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Sparko wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:22 pm Who determines someone is illegal makes a difference. Demographic cliff is a real thing everywhere but places with robust immigration
We already have laws in place that determine who is illegal. Thanks to Brandon, we have opened the floodgates and thrown those laws out the window.

I’m not anti- immigration. People should come in legally. They should have a skill we need, be able to support themselves, and speak English. It’s pretty simple, really.

Oh, and agree not to play soccer. Can’t forget that one.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

You support a party that makes it very difficult to immigrate and forces climate and other refugees north. Manageable policies have been routinely blocked by the GOP. America is a shining city on a hill for Monroe Doctrine nations
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:28 pm
Sparko wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:22 pm Who determines someone is illegal makes a difference. Demographic cliff is a real thing everywhere but places with robust immigration
We already have laws in place that determine who is illegal. Thanks to Brandon, we have opened the floodgates and thrown those laws out the window.

I’m not anti- immigration. People should come in legally. They should have a skill we need, be able to support themselves, and speak English. It’s pretty simple, really.

Wait, but didn’t Brandon give in to that whole build the wall thing

Waived a buncha environmental regs to do it and everything
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Sparko wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:30 pm You support a party that makes it very difficult to immigrate and forces climate and other refugees north. Manageable policies have been routinely blocked by the GOP. America is a shining city on a hill for Monroe Doctrine nations
I don’t care where they go as long as it’s not here. Round ‘em up and send ‘em packing.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:38 pm
JKLivin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:28 pm

Wait, but didn’t Brandon give in to that whole build the wall thing

Waived a buncha environmental regs to do it and everything
Does no good when you don’t track down and deport those who get through.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Imagine telling someone in 1994 that one of these doods would be giving a speech at the RNC in 30 years

And the other would be running for his second term as potus

And neither are Andre the Giant

JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

“I am the Dread Pirate Roberts. There will be no survivors!”
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

They dod not give speeches. They bellowed like pigs in a pile of republican refuse
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Sparko wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 1:16 am They dod not give speeches. They bellowed like pigs in a pile of republican refuse
It’s hard to top classics like “and then we beat Medicare” and “hnumafushits best economy since, you know, the guy.”
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Reasonably priced gas and groceries and safe streets will make you feel much better.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

JKLivin wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:43 am
Reasonably priced gas and groceries and safe streets will make you feel much better.
Can you assure me if Donald Trump becomes President that gas prices will be lower, the price of groceries will be lower, and the streets near/around me will be safer?
If so, fantastic! MIGHT make me less upset if he becomes President.
No doubt those 3 things are important to me (to various degrees) but the problem is those are not the ONLY 3 things I care about. If they were and you could assure me those things would change for the better - like I said, "fantastic!" - and while still doubtful, he just might get my vote.

I had a lengthy conversation with a close relative of a very well known former politician.
One of the things we were in complete agreement about was how our Mayor and Governor have more of a bearing on our daily lives living in Chicago than our President does.
Unlike most people, I like our Governor and while I don't agree with nor like things he has done, I feel overall he is doing a good job. Like most people, I very much dislike (many if not most people might say hate) our Mayor and feel he is doing a piss poor job in regards to some/many very important things that affect our city.