Weather

Coffee talk.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: Weather

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:00 amWild Pic.
Kudos to Barry Butler.
He's a fairly well known photographer in Chicago.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:49 am Gutter. I'm a little surprised that you can open windows in your building.
Yeah, my co-worker just (5 minutes ago) said the same thing.
I have two options in my apartment. I'm not home so I can't take pics now and post them but the options are - I have two windows in my living room and one in my bedroom that open out. Meaning, you can open the latches and push it out about 12 inches at the max. Then I have what I refer to as vents at the bottom of the other windows. Those open substantially more and there are screens in place.
The insane thing is when my neighbor directly across from me - and I - both have our windows/vents open, on occasion it causes such a vacuum effect that I have trouble opening my front door.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Tornado sirens going off. Can't watch TV because they aren't showing programs - just tornado alerts.
Meanwhile, I am 50 floors up posting on here.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Hoping the weather passed
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Lawrence Kansas currently: 83f, 76% humidity, 0249.

Gross.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Also, 1-2” of rain expected in short time this (Tuesday) morning.

The f that happens, and upstream a bit, I’m curious if the Kaw gonna extend past its’ banks. River by dam already covered 100%, open at ‘full throttle’ to let flood stage waters through from as far as manhattan.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Shit was real last night.
I started to post videos I just saw on Twitter but too many to choose from.
Crazy seeing people shelter in place (and the control tower evacuated) at O'Hare and yet there were A LOT of planes on runways (not just at gates / on runways) waiting to take off with a tornado less than 2 miles away.
I took pics and videos looking north, west, and sort of south. Saw what appeared to be possible tornados. Not sure how to upload videos on here but I'll share some pics in a while.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:15 am Shit was real last night.
I started to post videos I just saw on Twitter but too many to choose from.
Crazy seeing people shelter in place (and the control tower evacuated) at O'Hare and yet there were A LOT of planes on runways (not just at gates / on runways) waiting to take off with a tornado less than 2 miles away.
I took pics and videos looking north, west, and sort of south. Saw what appeared to be possible tornados. Not sure how to upload videos on here but I'll share some pics in a while.
Video
https://rgutter1029.smugmug.com/T-2/i-5SdRPVR

These pics are all looking north. First one if you look closely MIGHT be a tornado forming out in the distance.
Last two were when I was thinking - ok, I should probably move away from the window/s. Started to sound like a suction noise.

Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

LFK about to get wrecked
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sunny and 68 here
Trust me bro
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Riddle me this Batman. Two riddles/questions.

Weather forecast for today...

10:00 am Partly Cloudy 75°
11:00 am Partly Cloudy 76°
12:00 pm Mostly Cloudy 77°
1:00 pm Mostly Cloudy 78°
2:00pm Mostly Cloudy 78°
3:00 pm Partly Cloudy 78°

Question 1. How accurate do you think the forecast will be in regards to being "partly cloudy" and "mostly cloudy" at those times?

Question 2. What are the differences between partly cloudy and mostly sunny - and mostly cloudy and partly sunny?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

close enough

the amount of clouds in the sky
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

TDub wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:00 am close enough

the amount of clouds in the sky
Thanks for your response/s!
It's 11:09am and I would say it is currently mostly cloudy to the immediate west and south of me and partly cloudy to the north and east.
OR
I would say it is partly sunny to the immediate west and south of me and mostly sunny to the north and east.
I don't feel either is wrong.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Not to complain, since the business end of Debbie has gone by me to the west in the Gulf and will come to shore farther north up in the armpit area of the state, but we're getting lots of rain and flooding, and the tornados that sometimes attend hurricanes.

I find the National Weather Service Severe Weather Notification, tho useful, particularly disquieting. Just because it's designed to wake you from your sleep... I think it has gone off 5 times so far this evening. It's very windy but nothing like it could be, but there have been 3 tornados pretty close tonight, so far.

The weather predictors comfort people here by drawing a distinction between the F3-5, ¼-mile wide monster systems that wander sometimes for miles across the midwest, and the transitory, here one minute gone in the next 5-10 minute beta* tornadoes, they get here. It's a "Run for cover, but it could be worse!" vibe.

*beta - The term beta is used as a pejorative self-identifier among some members of the manosphere, particularly incels, who do not believe they are assertive or traditionally masculine, and feel overlooked by women. It is also used to negatively describe other men who are not deemed to be assertive, particularly with women.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I never watch the local news, but because I'd had the Olympics on NBC, the local station came on when it was over. Just as I was turning things off to go to bed last night, the station posted the National Weather Bureau statistics for rainfall due to Debby, and Sarasota was 2nd highest on the list at 17.8” from the system. I couldn’t believe it, but man, was I lucky:

Watch: Flyover cars still underwater in Sarasota

From CNN's Eric Zerkel and Mary Gilbert

Debby never made landfall or tracked over one of Debby’s hardest-hit areas: Sarasota, Florida.

More than 17 inches of rain fell over the area over a three-day period as the storm tracked parallel to the coast and its trailing rain bands deluged the city.

That’s the wettest three-day period on record for Sarasota and the second-highest rainfall total for a single town from the storm so far.

Receding water reveals damage to homes in Sarasota County
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Holy Mackerel, King Fish!

Haven't had a National Weather Service Alert in days, but now I'm getting a flood warning, because there was so much rain upstream, a river that runs thru Sarasota is expected to rise even more now that that runoff is reaching here on its way to the Gulf.

I feel like I moved to Houston during Hurricane Henry!
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Hope you can ride this out without any damage. I'd say head for higher ground but I don't think you have any.
Trust me bro
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:26 am Hope you can ride this out without any damage. I'd say head for higher ground but I don't think you have any.
Thanks, I'm ~ 11' above sea level and close to the coast, so hopefully it won't impact me. But, there are a lot of people whose houses are/were several feet under water in Sarasota, in places it had never happened before, and for whom flood insurance hadn't ever been a consideration.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Damn! I don't think there has ever been a time in my life when I heard or read the words "mountains", or desert, and didn't wish I was there. This is not the picture that comes to my mind:

One missing, hundreds still stranded in Havasu Canyon after Thursday flash floods.

Utah man captures extreme flooding in Havasu Falls area of Arizona
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

wow

funny how the mind works. reminiscing with plano about havasu didn’t jog my memory, but those links did…when i camped down there, there were flash floods the week after that killed a guy
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?