Automobiles

Coffee talk.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Automobiles

Post by Sparko »

japhy wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:05 am Ass Crack Ventilation Technology IS MINE ! ! !

Or "ACVT" as my new brohs on the F150 Forum calls it. I think my first mod will be adding leveling blocks.

My next drive across Kansas will be soooo much more comfortable, and I will look cooler with the truck sitting level.
So proud. So proud
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Fixed
Or
Repaired
Daily
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:44 pm Fixed
Or
Repaired
Daily
I have had several Fords (also a Lincoln Mkz and a Mercury Mountaineer) and have thankfully had no major issues. All driven to the 150k-ish miles mark. But all have been Explorers and Expeditions, so their other lines may have more issues?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:58 pm
Or
Repaired
Daily
I have had several Fords (also a Lincoln Mkz and a Mercury Mountaineer) and have thankfully had no major issues. All driven to the 150k-ish miles mark. But all have been Explorers and Expeditions, so their other lines may have more issues?
i think it was more true 30+ years ago

my pops would never buy ford. i think the US Forest Service tried them (which would’ve been his experience) and hated them. they went Dodge and Chevy for the longest time. we had Chevy trucks when i was a kid, but it’s been solidly Toyota for 20+ years now, for damn near my entire immediate family

if the price point wasn’t so high on Rav4s we’d probably be getting one soon. might have to settle for something else though
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

My shops have run all 3 brands of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Chevy / GMC…absolute shit.

Dodge, great engines (Cummins)

Ford, best all around.

The Dodges have been incredible for pulling power, especially over mountain passes.

But, my best experiences have been FoMoCo
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:08 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:58 pm
Or
Repaired
Daily
i think it was more true 30+ years ago

my pops would never buy ford. i think the US Forest Service tried them (which would’ve been his experience) and hated them. they went Dodge and Chevy for the longest time. we had Chevy trucks when i was a kid, but it’s been solidly Toyota for 20+ years now, for damn near my entire immediate family

if the price point wasn’t so high on Rav4s we’d probably be getting one soon. might have to settle for something else though
In my world, off roading and Overlanding, I have seen numerous issues with Toyota products.

Not bashing them, nor am I claiming Jeep superiority, but the claims that Toyotas are bullet proof are over stated.

Plus, in this harsh world, solid axles rule.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

My wife had a '98 RAV4, and loved it. She put 192,000 miles on it then sold it to her sister who drove it for years because she loved it too. I think she said it had 356,000 miles on it when she let it go.

After growing up in a Chevy family, in '76 I bot a brand new Honda Accord and didn't get AC because the Arab Oil Embargo had lit a fire under the conservation movement. (Note to self: Never don't choose to get AC in a car, ever again.) It was '96 before I bot another American made car, a new '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Drove it to Utah and Co. and Az. multiple times on mt biking trips and put 160,000 miles on it until 2012 when I bot a 2004 Toyota Highlander. The Jeep was great. Leather interior-I can still smell it. It never gave me any problems and I'll never forget the proud feeling I had driving it new off the lot because it was American made-it restored my faith. Now I drive a 2016 Highlander that's never given me any trouble, and only has ~ 61,000 miles on it.

I keep thinking I should get something new like an Audi SUV, but the cost of maintenance on them gives me pause. I can see myself driving the Highlander until 2030, easily.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

saw my first cyber truck in real life today. good God they are fucking ugly. Worse than I even imagined seeing the pictures. Fucking hideous.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:14 pm saw my first cyber truck in real life today. good God they are fucking ugly. Worse than I even imagined seeing the pictures. Fucking hideous.
Like an uncanny valley Pontiac Aztek.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lmao
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Saw one here last week, I had the sane reac6as TDub.

Bigger and uglier than I thought. Yeah, yeah, I know. That's what she said.
Broham
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

They are all over in the PNW.
I looked at one up close a few weeks ago.

There are NO redeeming qualities on that fugly piece of shit. The fit and finish was even more horrific than Tesla cars.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

The Rivians are much more visibly appealing.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:33 am The Rivians are much more visibly appealing.
yea, and they're still ugly
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:26 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:14 pm saw my first cyber truck in real life today. good God they are fucking ugly. Worse than I even imagined seeing the pictures. Fucking hideous.
KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:26 pmlmao
^^^
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:26 pm
the Aztec was a beautifully contoured, wonderfully conceived vision....in comparison
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I have seen the new Hummer EV in the wild also and it is…much better. Now, it is ridiculous and stupid in all sorts of fun ways in its own right…but it doesn’t look like it was put together out of a mail-in kit you order for $799.99 from the crowded pages of March 1996 Popular Science.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

My buddy’s toddler saw a cybertruck and freaked out like OMG WHAT THAT THING IS SO COOL

and then it finally made a lot more sense
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

whistlin' diesel did an episode testing the cyber truck. What a pathetic piece of shit. Did the same tests on a standard f150. The cyber trucks doors (all 4) broke in minutes. The gas pedal snapped. The tow hitch is attached to an aluminum frame, trying to tow the f150 they snapped not only the hitch, but also the frame. It is complete garbage.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

in other news...as much as I didn't want to support anything elon...I did order starlink last night. It's gotten great reviews and is essentially my only real option out here..plus, they were having one helluva sale. So...we shall see how that goes
Just Ledoux it