Team USA

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: Team USA

Post by DeletedUser »

Not sure how I am not supposed to be cheering for South Sudan right now.

These guys are playing out of their mind.

100 South Sudan
99 USA

With 20 seconds to go...

LeBron puts USA up 1 with 8 seconds....
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 4:05 pm Not sure how I am not supposed to be cheering for South Sudan right now.

100 South Sudan
99 USA

With 20 seconds to go...

Yeah, I'd have a really hard time not rooting for an underdog that a win would mean so much to, too.

Was Sudan that good, or the US playing so bad? Trying to look up the final score on the CBS Sports App, there was an article title (I didn't open) from 7/17 that said Davis is outplaying Embiid so far.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Call me someone who has been making a ruckus lately but super duper bad fan if you're cheering for anyone playing against the US.

B A D F A N

U S A U S A U S A
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Shirley wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 4:46 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 4:05 pm Not sure how I am not supposed to be cheering for South Sudan right now.

100 South Sudan
99 USA

With 20 seconds to go...

Yeah, I'd have a really hard time not rooting for an underdog that a win would mean so much to, too.

Was Sudan that good, or the US playing so bad? Trying to look up the final score on the CBS Sports App, there was an article title (I didn't open) from 7/17 that said Davis is outplaying Embiid so far.
Sudan played well. Had a lead for a while.

LeBron played well.

USA tried to let the bench players close the game the last 7min or so after Steph and LeBron were in and got a 7pt lead. Sudan made a comeback, LeBron and Steph came back in...and then with 20 seconds to go and USA down 1 LeBron got himself an easy bucket with 8 seconds left. Sudan got a good look to win it and almost a 2nd look after am offensive rebound.

Games like today make me think LeBron is still the best player in the league when he is rested and interested.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I thought it was the USA women's Olympic team vs. the WNBA All-Stars tonight and was hoping to see the USA Women's Olympic team beat the shit out of them.
Turns out that's not what it is. Go figure the WNBA used/uses gimmicks and lingo that fooled an idiot like me to draw more interest.
I'm going to take a pass on watching the game.

Back to the men's olympic team.

I just looked at the box score. Were the refs trying to make sure Team USA won or were the fouls calls (and no calls) legit?
28 free throws for Team USA to 15 for South Sudan.
Marial Shayok could have played for Team Canada. I bet he's happy he chose to play for South Sudan.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Ok, I really am a dumb fuck. I guess it is the Olympic team. Just like I thought it was at first.

Also, I lied. I have the pre-game on.
Wanted to see my guy Josh B (who helped get the game in Phoenix) and my cousin's kid. Just saw them. Now I can turn it off. But I won't. ;)

Can't help but think Psych would have nightmares if he tuned in to the game.
He would see the polar opposite of what he wants the current and future country to be.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

This USA women's team probably won't face a team as good as this WNBA All-Star team but I wouldn't be surprised if they lose a game in the Olympics.
Reese just had 3 rebounds in about 20 seconds - and I think they were in 3 different possessions.
Clark getting shut out. 0-3 fg. She does have 3 assists.
Maybe I should take this to the Iowa/UConn women’s game thread?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Ogunbowale has been the 2nd best player in this game.
This USA team is JUNK! tonight. Glad I didn't wager on them. Even if it was just $1.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Clark is stat chasing. Trying to break the WNBA All-Star game assist record. Passing up shots she should and normally would take.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Clark had 4 more points than I did. She and I made the same amount of 3s. She did have 10 more assists than me but I had 2 less turnovers.

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

WNBA All Stars kicking team USA's butt.

They were up by 20 points earlier.

And damn Ogunbowale is something!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Team USA women looking concerned - 10 minutes after the game is over.
Should they be concerned?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:39 pm I just looked at the box score. Were the refs trying to make sure Team USA won or were the fouls calls (and no calls) legit?
Marial Shayok could have played for Team Canada. I bet he's happy he chose to play for South Sudan.
The refs were good.

The USA drives the ball more. Has bigger more physical players. Sudan hit a lot of shots. Was more jump shooting attack style, resulting in less free throws.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:52 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:39 pm I just looked at the box score. Were the refs trying to make sure Team USA won or were the fouls calls (and no calls) legit?
The refs were good.

The USA drives the ball more. Has bigger more physical players. Sudan hit a lot of shots. Was more jump shooting attack style, resulting in less free throws.
Thanks.

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

LeBron scores the last 11pts for USA to win by 4 against Germany.

I am now fully convinced he's the best player on team USA. Even at age 39.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:22 pm LeBron scores the last 11pts for USA to win by 4 against Germany.

I'm not going to disagree with your sentiment.
Two things that stood out to me in the last 4 minutes of the game.
1. His defense. His effort on the defensive end. It was great. More impressive to me than this offense.
2. He was unusually selfish. I don't mean that in a bad way. If he played his entire NBA career the same way he played in the last 4 minutes of the game - he would have a lot more people feel he is the GOAT of the last 40 years. I feel one of the knocks on him is he deferred too often when he should have been more selfish. I understand how others would say his differing was a strength but I don't see it that way.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Durant making his 2024 debut after sitting out the exhibition with a calf injury.

1st half stats: 21 pts on 8/8 shooting
Last edited by Sasquatch on Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:22 pm LeBron scores the last 11pts for USA to win by 4 against Germany.

that doesn’t necessarily strike me as a good thing
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:46 am

Have you watched? He might still be the best in the world. This dude is locked in on leading them to gold
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sasquatch wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:11 pm
KUTradition wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:46 am

Have you watched? He might still be the best in the world. This dude is locked in on leading them to gold
He looked really good today.