an even more frightening perspective

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: an even more frightening perspective

Post by KUTradition »

Overlander wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:46 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:58 pm Wonder what happens first....humans extinct themselves or an asteroid extents humans?
Humans. We will die a slow death….wishing an asteroid would just finish us off.
some might say it’s already happening
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

this thread might be the most depressing 79 pages on the internet
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:00 am this thread might be the most depressing 79 pages on the internet
^^^

If pdub loved us, he would have banned Trad a long time ago when I asked him to. That being said, I'm not worried:

(Thanks Republicans, I hope you got really, really rich.)

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if y’all woulda listened to me 20 years ago…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

dead at 89
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Is more carbon dioxide emitted by human activities or by natural processes?
Originally Imzcount
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Millions of Texans without power. In lieu of power companies or gummint actually being the ones to tell where power is out, customers figure out where power is out using the Whataburger app instead
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:54 am Millions of Texans without power. In lieu of power companies or gummint actually being the ones to tell where power is out, customers figure out where power is out using the Whataburger app instead
Usedabe the Waffle House.
Trust me bro
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Why would customers need the government to tell them their power is out? I'd think it should be fairly obvious if the power is out at their house.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:19 pm Why would customers need the government to tell them their power is out? I'd think it should be fairly obvious if the power is out at their house.
^^^

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

That being said, here when it involves a hurricane and I've evacuated to my daughter's house inland, one of my most pressing questions afterward is weather or not I have power.

I see what I did they're
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

Clearly, the issue with power outages is less whether the power is out at one’s own house, and more whether the power is out at Whataburger.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Well, to be fair, whether the power is out or not has a HUGE influence on simply moving around in a city that has way too much fucking traffic.

Do you know how many times I have spent in normal rush hour in Dallas, watching the light go from red to red a dozen times without moving?

Then, take away the efficiency of those traffic lights.

Damn, I really enjoy living in Vancouver Wa
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

congratulations to all, for contributing to and living through the hottest day in recorded history

https://climate.copernicus.eu/new-recor ... -july-2024
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Even record snowfall during recent winters can't counteract the loss of groundwater in the western U.S. Improved satellite imagery of the Great Basin confirms snowfall is not enough to put a significant dent in the decline of water levels in the region.

The Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment now has 20 years of data that includes maps of changing water levels in the west. Improved satellite imagery has helped reveal the problem. 

A drought, increased evaporation, and rising demands from households and agriculture have caused a dramatic drop in the water supply that record-breaking winter snowfall can't overcome.

"In years like the 2022-23 winter, I expected that the record amount of snowfall would really help to replenish the groundwater supply," said Dorothy Hall, one of the authors of a study on groundwater loss, per Phys.org. "But overall, the decline continued." 

Even with a recharge from the annual snowmelt in the Great Basin, there was a significant loss of groundwater from 2002 to 2023. The loss over two decades was more than six times the current volume of water in Lake Mead in Arizona and Nevada...
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

if I stop reading this shit, it goes away right?
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

sadly, no

(i’ve tried)
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Ugh, make it stop. All of it. smh.

I have the TV on but the sound down and I'm not watching but I just saw a list of the changes Project 2025 would make related to climate change, like decapitate and castrate the EPA, the creation of Republican President Nixon: “unleashing all of America's energy resources” by eliminating federal restrictions on fossil fuel drilling on public lands, curtailing federal investments in renewable energy technologies, and easing environmental permitting restrictions and procedures for new fossil fuel projects such as power..."

I've been following this guy on YouTube for a couple of years. He monitors the precipitation, lake and reservoir levels throughout California as well as the Colorado river basin including Lakes Powell and Mead, et al., including the historical stats and perspective. With the drought, atmospheric rivers, record snowfall in the Sierras, etc., there are times when it's in an interesting state of flux. One of the more interesting aspects is how the various bodies of water are managed over time, like during the Spring melt, to conserve as much of the water as possible without setting themselves up for a failure, (i.e., flooding downstream of the dam when they have to empty it quickly), during the next event. It helps to break the cycle of the all-too-often wake we're usually holding for average water levels, as they decline. And, no doubt because I follow him, the algorithm feeds me videos on related, uplifting subjects, like the demise of the Oglala Aquifer, in an endless stream*...

*Pun intended, dammit!

Glen Canyon Dam's New Strategy | Lake Powell Update - July 2024
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i hate to beat a dead horse, but nothing is going to “fix” the problem without changes to our patterns of consumption

as an example, demand for beef is at an all-time high! led by the US of course. i’m not saying we shouldn’t be allowed to eat meat, but c’mon…all-time high? ridiculous