Recruiting

Kansas Basketball.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: Recruiting

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:38 am
AlOerter wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:15 am Right now Bleacher Report has Furphy at 28 and McCullar at 32. Obviously those are just educated guesses subject to performances at combine.
My gut says KM will drop a bit. Simply because I am not sure the things he's really good at will shine in a combine setting. Minimal ball movement and no team defensive concept. I think someone could get a decent NBA bench player role out of him in the 2nd round. He does the little things well.

If Furphy gets hot shooting at the combine he could skyrocket because he could thrive in the up and down shot chucking environment.
I have three concerns about Furphy at the combine - and I have concerns that the combine may have a bigger negative impact on him than a positive impact.

1. He could be/get cold shooting.
2. He could get exposed even more defensively. I say what I do about defense and the ability to become a better defender but some teams may shy away if he gets absolutely abused - and he may.
3. He could get injured. Or, he might have something physical that can be a concern. i.e - Does he have a history of shin splints, does he rotator cuff or back issues, etc.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:06 pm
AlOerter wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:15 am Right now Bleacher Report has Furphy at 28 and McCullar at 32. Obviously those are just educated guesses subject to performances at combine.
My gut says KM will drop a bit. Simply because I am not sure the things he's really good at will shine in a combine setting. Minimal ball movement and no team defensive concept. I think someone could get a decent NBA bench player role out of him in the 2nd round. He does the little things well.

If Furphy gets hot shooting at the combine he could skyrocket because he could thrive in the up and down shot chucking environment.
I have three concerns about Furphy at the combine - and I have concerns that the combine may have a bigger negative impact on him than a positive impact.

2. He could get exposed even more defensively. I say what I do about defense and the ability to become a better defender but some teams may shy away if he gets absolutely abused - and he may.
3. He could get injured. Or, he might have something physical that can be a concern. i.e - Does he have a history of shin splints, does he rotator cuff or back issues, etc.
sure, but the same paragraph could be written about every player ever to attend a combine. It's of why the sure fire top picks rarely attend the events.
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

TDub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:10 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:06 pm

sure, but the same paragraph could be written about every player ever to attend a combine. It's of why the sure fire top picks rarely attend the events.
Yep. The "sure fire top picks" May have not much to gain and a lot to lose.
Problem is in the NBA, they are required to attend "and participate" in the combine. I'm not sure to what extent If any they must participate in the "scrimmages".
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

They do not have to participate in scrimmages if they don't want to. I think they have to show up and get measured though.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DeletedUser wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:29 pm They do not have to participate in scrimmages if they don't want to. I think they have to show up and get measured though.
Correct.
I don't know why I was confused about that being that it specifically says.....

"Every NBA invitee must attend the combine, undergoing various evaluations such as skills assessments, height and wingspan measurements, medical checks, team interviews, media interactions, and more to qualify for the draft. Notably, participating in scrimmage games at the combine is now optional".
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I guess the scrimmage would be mostly for those trying to improve their stock.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

Can anyone copy/paste the KC Star article on Darryn Peterson in? :)
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if you're on an iphone, there’s an option to use “reader” if you tap your browser (it’s the little A, big A)

Darryn Peterson, the No. 1-ranked shooting guard in the basketball recruiting class of 2025, was impressed by Kansas Jayhawks coach Bill Self’s heavy involvement in his recent visit to campus.

According to Darryl Peterson, Darryn’s father, Self drove Darryn around Lawrence, showcasing the city while talking to him about life at KU.

Darryl told The Star that was one of Darryn’s favorite moments of the visit.

“He (Darryn) felt that was very genuine,” Darryl said. “A lot of coaches don’t do that. They are more hands off.”

Darryl said his son found the experience in Kansas to be authentic and genuine. The family spent a lot of time with the Jayhawks’ coaching staff, including plenty of time with Self.

“Self told him that he really believes in Darryn,” Darryl said. “He thinks he can be ‘the guy’ for the Jayhawks. Darryn’s goal is to be the No. 1 overall pick and win a national championship. They think he can be the lead guard — a guy with the ball in his hands.

“Their belief in him, the history and Self’s (candidness) made it a great visit.”

While in town, Darryn also met with KU freshmen Flory Bidunga and Rakeese Passmore, recent Alabama transfer Rylan Griffen and Jayhawks star big man Hunter Dickinson.

Shortly after meeting with Griffin, Darryn received a text.

“’Hey, I’m new here, too, but I really like it here. Let me know if you need anything,’” Darryl recalled Griffin’s text saying. “It was very authentic and genuine.”

The Jayhawks’ coaching staff also took the Petersons to Lawrence restaurants known for various foods, such as Jeffersons for wings.

At night’s end, KU let Darryn put up some shots at Allen Fieldhouse, which Darryl noted Darryn greatly appreciated.

“It made him feel at home,” Darryl said.

The Peterson family also explored Lawrence independently and came away very impressed. Darryl noted that the people were very welcoming and that Lawrence is “truly a basketball town.”

For Darryn, playing in a city where basketball reigns supreme is important. He hopes to be a one-and-done prospect at a school where he can develop his game. He isn’t necessarily interested in whether the school is in a city or smaller college town.

The 6-foot-5 shooting guard out of Huntington Prep in West Virginia expects to make a decision before the start of his senior year. Darryl told the Star that his son will release a list of eight finalist schools by the end of July. He has upcoming visits with Kentucky, Ohio State, and USC.

Meantime, the class of 2025 hoops prospect does not plan to reclassify.

“We want him to take it slow, continue to develop and enjoy his senior year,” Darryl said. “We always tell him its about the journey — not just destination.”
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:28 am if you're on an iphone, there’s an option to use “reader” if you tap your browser (it’s the little A, big A)

Darryn Peterson, the No. 1-ranked shooting guard in the basketball recruiting class of 2025, was impressed by Kansas Jayhawks coach Bill Self’s heavy involvement in his recent visit to campus.

According to Darryl Peterson, Darryn’s father, Self drove Darryn around Lawrence, showcasing the city while talking to him about life at KU.

Darryl told The Star that was one of Darryn’s favorite moments of the visit.

“He (Darryn) felt that was very genuine,” Darryl said. “A lot of coaches don’t do that. They are more hands off.”

Darryl said his son found the experience in Kansas to be authentic and genuine. The family spent a lot of time with the Jayhawks’ coaching staff, including plenty of time with Self.

“Self told him that he really believes in Darryn,” Darryl said. “He thinks he can be ‘the guy’ for the Jayhawks. Darryn’s goal is to be the No. 1 overall pick and win a national championship. They think he can be the lead guard — a guy with the ball in his hands.

“Their belief in him, the history and Self’s (candidness) made it a great visit.”

While in town, Darryn also met with KU freshmen Flory Bidunga and Rakeese Passmore, recent Alabama transfer Rylan Griffen and Jayhawks star big man Hunter Dickinson.

Shortly after meeting with Griffin, Darryn received a text.

“’Hey, I’m new here, too, but I really like it here. Let me know if you need anything,’” Darryl recalled Griffin’s text saying. “It was very authentic and genuine.”

The Jayhawks’ coaching staff also took the Petersons to Lawrence restaurants known for various foods, such as Jeffersons for wings.

At night’s end, KU let Darryn put up some shots at Allen Fieldhouse, which Darryl noted Darryn greatly appreciated.

“It made him feel at home,” Darryl said.

The Peterson family also explored Lawrence independently and came away very impressed. Darryl noted that the people were very welcoming and that Lawrence is “truly a basketball town.”

For Darryn, playing in a city where basketball reigns supreme is important. He hopes to be a one-and-done prospect at a school where he can develop his game. He isn’t necessarily interested in whether the school is in a city or smaller college town.

The 6-foot-5 shooting guard out of Huntington Prep in West Virginia expects to make a decision before the start of his senior year. Darryl told the Star that his son will release a list of eight finalist schools by the end of July. He has upcoming visits with Kentucky, Ohio State, and USC.

Meantime, the class of 2025 hoops prospect does not plan to reclassify.

“We want him to take it slow, continue to develop and enjoy his senior year,” Darryl said. “We always tell him its about the journey — not just destination.”
Nothing in the article about numbers ($) being discussed.
Will that play a factor in his decision?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

this is the process in 2024:

"how much you paying me?"
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:38 am this is the process in 2024:

Not much has changed (in that regard) since when I was in college. 40 years ago.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:33 am

Not much has changed (in that regard) since when I was in college. 40 years ago.
Big time players at Kansas dispute that.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:34 pm Meleek Thomas

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/ar ... 91619/amp/
Yes please.

Not surprised to start seeing so many of these guys cut Kentucky from their lists. Going to be an interesting transition for them. I think Pope is a good coach. Right now the Kentucky people are over the "one and done" type players because they haven't resulted in national titles....but I do wonder how that feeling will shift over the next 5 years when they're not getting those elite recruits and still aren't winning national titles.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:44 am

Dispute what? Getting "paid"? They might dispute it but if they did most (not all) would be lying.
Players have been getting "paid" for a verrrrrrrry long time.
Shit, I was too transparent in the past when I used to tell people I was involved in "payments".
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:59 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:34 pm Meleek Thomas

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/ar ... 91619/amp/
Yes please.

Not surprised to start seeing so many of these guys cut Kentucky from their lists. Going to be an interesting transition for them. I think Pope is a good coach. Right now the Kentucky people are over the "one and done" type players because they haven't resulted in national titles....but I do wonder how that feeling will shift over the next 5 years when they're not getting those elite recruits and still aren't winning national titles.
i like seeing duke cut early, too

growing up a Razorback fan, i like seeing them competitive again, though i admit i hate that it’s cal (i kinda liked Musselman). the only thing worse would be cal replacing Self
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Cal will have them a top team with top recruits regularly I assume.

I don't think it'll result in titles, because it didn't at UK. But at least Arkansas fans will be grateful and not obnoxiously entitled like UK fans.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:21 am
pdub wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:44 am

Dispute what? Getting "paid"? They might dispute it but if they did most (not all) would be lying.
Players have been getting "paid" for a verrrrrrrry long time.
Shit, I was too transparent in the past when I used to tell people I was involved in "payments".
I don’t think a guy like Pollard is lying.
You believe what you want.