Gutter's 5 quick questions for Toni Kukoč/Michael Jordan Day

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Gutter's 5 quick questions for Toni Kukoč/Michael Jordan Day

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:38 pm 1. Olympics junkie here so lots come to mind. Michael Phelps first and foremost.
2. Dove aluminum free or Every Man Jack. Had to go away from those with aluminum as it was burning my skin.
3. Lynyrd Skynyrd, love me some classic southern rock when I need to get some work done.
4. My ADHD/Depression/Anxiety combo has been pretty spun up lately. Trying to talk myself out of leaving my wife. Don't want to follow it up with any details, please, so let's just leave that there.
5. Maple bar then any number of others. I don't say no to many flavors of donuts.
TDub wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:21 pm who doesn't love lynyrd skynyrd?
^^^

Live versions of

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Saturday Night Special (Live At Knebworth '76)

and

Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell - 7/13/1977 - Convention Hall (Official)

randomly popped up in my feed on YouTube yesterday, both done before the plane crash, and I couldn't resist. It also occurred to me after watching the videos that I could have easily listed them as my answer to question # 3.

The first time I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd live was on July 3, 1975, outside at the Oklahoma City Fairgrounds Speedway. A friend and I drove down on a Saturday from Wichita. It was an all-day concert and Lynyrd Skynyrd, along with Rick Derringer, the Eric Burden Band, and several more bands, opened for the headliner, ZZ Top.

I had seen ZZ Top several years before on Nov. 21, 1972, at Century II in Wichita, when they were an as yet largely unknown group, promoting their second album, Rio Grande Mud. They opened for Alvin Lee and Ten Years After. (Alvin Lee ____ing killed it!) Despite being an opening act, to say ZZ Top won the crowd over, would be a gross understatement.

I loved all the Lynyrd Skynyrd guitar players, but especially Gary Rossington on his Les Paul, from the first time I heard them. I can't watch the video of Saturday Night Special and wonder if, had lead vocalist and songwriter Ronnie Van Zant lived, if his attitude about firearms might not have influenced history somewhat, by giving young southern macho boys permission to have a nuanced view of firearm ownership? Probably not, but we can dream... What a loss. RIP
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:43 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:38 pm 1. Olympics junkie here so lots come to mind. Michael Phelps first and foremost.
2. Dove aluminum free or Every Man Jack. Had to go away from those with aluminum as it was burning my skin.
3. Lynyrd Skynyrd, love me some classic southern rock when I need to get some work done.
4. My ADHD/Depression/Anxiety combo has been pretty spun up lately. Trying to talk myself out of leaving my wife. Don't want to follow it up with any details, please, so let's just leave that there.
5. Maple bar then any number of others. I don't say no to many flavors of donuts.
TDub wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:21 pm who doesn't love lynyrd skynyrd?
^^^

Live versions of

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Saturday Night Special (Live At Knebworth '76)

and

Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell - 7/13/1977 - Convention Hall (Official)

randomly popped up in my feed on YouTube yesterday, both done before the plane crash, and I couldn't resist. It also occurred to me after watching the videos that I could have easily listed them as my answer to question # 3.

The first time I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd live was on July 3, 1975, outside at the Oklahoma City Fairgrounds Speedway. A friend and I drove down on a Saturday from Wichita. It was an all-day concert and Lynyrd Skynyrd, along with Rick Derringer, the Eric Burden Band, and several more bands, opened for the headliner, ZZ Top.

I had seen ZZ Top several years before on Nov. 21, 1972, at Century II in Wichita, when they were an as yet largely unknown group, promoting their second album, Rio Grande Mud. They opened for Alvin Lee and Ten Years After. (Alvin Lee ____ing killed it!) Despite being an opening act, to say ZZ Top won the crowd over, would be a gross understatement.

I loved all the Lynyrd Skynyrd guitar players, but especially Gary Rossington on his Les Paul, from the first time I heard them. I can't watch the video of Saturday Night Special and wonder if, had lead vocalist and songwriter Ronnie Van Zant lived, if his attitude about firearms might not have influenced history somewhat, by giving young southern macho boys permission to have a nuanced view of firearm ownership? Probably not, but we can dream... What a loss. RIP
it's a bad answer to #3 tho, because I would assume quite a bit more the 5% of people would list them in their favorites.

I've never seen them live, I wasn't around or old enough to do so, bet it was a good time though.

Van Zant was pretty talented, never wrote anything down, woukd just go fishing and come back with a song, tell everyone what to play and how to play all just by ear, and go for it.

There are several songs I could pick, but if you listen to "gimme 3 steps" and you don't feel an irresistible urge to bob your head and do some sort of weird white guy shuffle, hip rockin thing...then you're just not alive. Curtis Loew is underrated too.

I've often thought, cruising back roads in an SS El Camino, with a case of Coors in the passenger seat with Skynyrd blasting might be one of pinnacle of cool haha
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Lynyrd Skynyrd is one of those bands I just can't listen to anymore, along with Led Zeppelin and a few others. I like Gimme Back My Bullets, Tuesday's Gone, Mr. Saturday Night Special and others. I've just heard them all about a million times too many.
Trust me bro
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:42 am Lynyrd Skynyrd is one of those bands I just can't listen to anymore, along with Led Zeppelin and a few others. I like Gimme Back My Bullets, Tuesday's Gone, Mr. Saturday Night Special and others. I've just heard them all about a million times too many.
I hear you. But I've been (thankfully), so far away from a classic rock station for so long, I can listen to Skynyrd again because it's been so many years.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas