The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by pdub »

I would agree if you can't be certain in most circumstances that your dog fully listens to your commands ( i.e. another dog comes walking along and your dog won't listen to you call it back and it approaches that other dog ) then you should leash your dog on public land.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:28 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:43 am
TDub wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:05 am get yourself under control, let's start there.

I'd say more people are out of control and destructive in the woods (and in general) than dogs.
Believe it or not! I’ve never bitten, growled at, ran into, stole from, or otherwise harassed anyone on public lands.

I’ve also never antagonized any wildlife, either. If wildlife takes issue with me, I back off and leave them alone, rather than stick my nose in their face.

But obviously, if you’d like to continue with condescension, it’s your prerogative. Fwiw tho I’d like to ask you to kindly refrain.

Please?
my god you're such a whiny little bitch. Also, you really really like to use buzz words you don't fully grasp.
All I know is, if your dog ever assaults me on public land, I’m killing your dog.

Not that I wanna kill a dog! It’s just that I wouldn’t wanna be a bitch about it, ya know?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:35 pm I would agree if you can't be certain in most circumstances that your dog fully listens to your commands ( i.e. another dog comes walking along and your dog won't listen to you call it back and it approaches that other dog ) then you should leash your dog on public land.
if that’s your dog (not you personally), it should be leashed everywhere that isn’t your own yard…and shouldn’t even go to a dog park, to be quite honest
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Moving right along…

Hydrothermal explosion today at Yellowstone!
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:12 pm Moving right along…

https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/statu ... 6562558358
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Makes me ponder the lyrics to Aenima
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:17 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:12 pm Moving right along…

https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/statu ... 6562558358
Did you hear the noise it made?

Pretty sure that caldera just said, “Hawk Tuah”
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

haven't seen any raccoons around here until 2 days ago, fed the dogs and he was diving into the Bushes at the edge of the pasture. chicken thief's and rabbit maulers. got up this morning and had him Snagged in a DP coon trap with cat food and cavenders moonshine lure. pretty decent sized boar. Smackedem. Dang coons...

I'm guessing where there's 1 there's more though.

hope ousdahl doesn't suggest I need to be leashed and chained so I don't hurt the wildlife.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Leashed and chained?

You do you bro, I’m not gonna kink shame.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:46 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:35 pm I would agree if you can't be certain in most circumstances that your dog fully listens to your commands ( i.e. another dog comes walking along and your dog won't listen to you call it back and it approaches that other dog ) then you should leash your dog on public land.
if that’s your dog (not you personally), it should be leashed everywhere that isn’t your own yard…and shouldn’t even go to a dog park, to be quite honest
^^^
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

2 commands every dog should know

“no/leave it”

“come”

some might wonder why knowing their name wouldn’t be more important…because a stranger obviously isn’t going to know their name, and in the off chance you aren’t around, the dog needs to be able to be called away from situations
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anyone know what Mich looks like?

(Of course, I expect ousdahl to critique the technique.)

Fly Fishing the Michigan Salmon Run
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So when you see those Colorado bumper stickers that say “Native,” this is what they mean.

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:45 pm So when you see those Colorado bumper stickers that say “Native,” this is what they mean.

Cool looking fish!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The struggle is real!

(Hyenas lack the speed and stealth of a number of their fellow predators, including cheetahs, wild dogs, and leopards, so they often merely follow their rivals, waiting until they make a kill, and then steal the carcass once the prey is brought down. What hyenas do have is superior bite force, enough force to readily break bones, which makes the price for fighting with them over a kill, more than the other predators are willing to pay. [This can include even lions.] Another way hyenas troll for food is to position themselves under the trees where leopards have hoisted their prey, hoping to grab anything that might fall to the ground.)

The Sibuye female leopard had just killed an impala when the Ngoboswan male and hyenas came rushing in. The male got there first, snatched the kill from the female, and hoisted it just in time! Their two cubs then joined what continued to be an action-packed sighting!

4 LEOPARDS + HYENAS + KILL = ACTION
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Shirley wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:14 pm Anyone know what Mich looks like?

of course!

Looks like she's using a spey/switch rod (a little longer fly rod with a little extra handle past the reel for two-handed casting techniques), but I dunno if she really uses two-handed techniques much here. If she did it would prob keep her casting arm from tiring, if it is. (and considering how her casts are sorta jerky and abrupt, I bet it is). You get a lot more power and control with both hands, but it's (at least) twice as much work to develop the coordination and timing to cast with both hands, too.

I am far from a fly casting expert (for real some of those doods practice technique, and nothing but technique, for years, and still can't pass those fly casting expert certifications or whatever they're called), but I suppose I at least know more than the average bait fisherman.

Watching her, I thought she should pay more mind to forming a nice D-loop* on her roll casts. But, they're not on a huge river, and at least once she casts far enough to hook the tree on the far bank, so she's at least getting the fly where it needs to go. Other than that, I'd say she needs to generally get what she calls the "rust" off her technique, and just make all her motions a little smoother and more relaxed - both with the casting itself, and also the mending/line management once the fly's in the water. Chill out and let the rod do the work for you.

I also wasn't sure what sort of flies/particular technique they were using, til they mention a chartreuse yarn egg, so they're nymphing egg imitations rather than swinging baitfish imitations. It's less sexy, but gets more bites, so difficult to begrudge.

Overall though, cool vid! The camera work isn't bad, the scenery is pretty, and michhawk looks cute with a ponytail too.

(ok, fiiine, and to come back from backpacking up a headwater creek with a bumble babe, to seeing this vid of a brunette chick hooking salmon, I'm left here wondering what I did to the universe to end up with a blonde who can barely even catch cutthroats...)

*oh, and as for an attempt to illustrate that D-loop:

...it makes more sense when you're doing it, and generally speaking, the better the D-loop behind you, the better your forward cast will end up ahead of you.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Wow, thanks! Very informative for this, bait fisherman.
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:43 am
Shirley wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:14 pm Anyone know what Mich looks like?

of course!

Looks like she's using a spey/switch rod (a little longer fly rod with a little extra handle past the reel for two-handed casting techniques), but I dunno if she really uses two-handed techniques much here. If she did it would prob keep her casting arm from tiring, if it is. (and considering how her casts are sorta jerky and abrupt, I bet it is). You get a lot more power and control with both hands, but it's (at least) twice as much work to develop the coordination and timing to cast with both hands, too.

I am far from a fly casting expert (for real some of those doods practice technique, and nothing but technique, for years, and still can't pass those fly casting expert certifications or whatever they're called), but I suppose I at least know more than the average bait fisherman.

Watching her, I thought she should pay more mind to forming a nice D-loop* on her roll casts. But, they're not on a huge river, and at least once she casts far enough to hook the tree on the far bank, so she's at least getting the fly where it needs to go. Other than that, I'd say she needs to generally get what she calls the "rust" off her technique, and just make all her motions a little smoother and more relaxed - both with the casting itself, and also the mending/line management once the fly's in the water. Chill out and let the rod do the work for you.

I also wasn't sure what sort of flies/particular technique they were using, til they mention a chartreuse yarn egg, so they're nymphing egg imitations rather than swinging baitfish imitations. It's less sexy, but gets more bites, so difficult to begrudge.

Overall though, cool vid! The camera work isn't bad, the scenery is pretty, and michhawk looks cute with a ponytail too.

(ok, fiiine, and to come back from backpacking up a headwater creek with a bumble babe, to seeing this vid of a brunette chick hooking salmon, I'm left here wondering what I did to the universe to end up with a blonde who can barely even catch cutthroats...)

*oh, and as for an attempt to illustrate that D-loop:

...it makes more sense when you're doing it, and generally speaking, the better the D-loop behind you, the better your forward cast will end up ahead of you.
How do you keep your ‘minners on the hook with all that thrashin’?
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno, I’m a fly fisherman.

Shirley’s the master baiter around here.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:52 pm I dunno, I’m a fly fisherman.

Shirley’s the master baiter around here.
And you said you could keep a secret!
Anand Giridharadas