Contributor

Re: Dogs

Post by TDub »

sorry shindig, hope everything works itself out
Just Ledoux it
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Shindig, that sounds like good news. Best wishes for healing.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

shindig wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:08 am I had to take my almost 12 year old boxer, Magnum, to the emergency vet last Friday. Felt a large lump on his neck. Right now he is on anti-biotics and the lump is almost gone, so I'm "hoping" it is just a bacterial infection instead of lymphoma. Some of you might recall my previous boxer, Bandit, passed due to lymphoma cancer. I spent a year putting him through chemo, probably wouldn't do that with Magnum due to his age but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. And yes, I was balling my eyes out at the vet when they said it could be lymphoma. So prayers for Magnum all, he's my buddy and best friend and it's going to really mess me up when it comes to him not being with me.
Here's to a quick and full recovery.
Trust me bro
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

My dogs are some of the best parts of my life. I am hoping all works out. Almost crying in sympathy
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

shindig wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:08 am I had to take my almost 12 year old boxer, Magnum, to the emergency vet last Friday. Felt a large lump on his neck. Right now he is on anti-biotics and the lump is almost gone, so I'm "hoping" it is just a bacterial infection instead of lymphoma. Some of you might recall my previous boxer, Bandit, passed due to lymphoma cancer. I spent a year putting him through chemo, probably wouldn't do that with Magnum due to his age but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. And yes, I was balling my eyes out at the vet when they said it could be lymphoma. So prayers for Magnum all, he's my buddy and best friend and it's going to really mess me up when it comes to him not being with me.
my heart goes out to you

these are some of the worst sorts of posts to read, merely because so many of us can empathize

sometimes all we can do is be there with them and do everything we can to make the remaining time together the best possible…play, car rides, camping trips, treats, or whatever else floats their boat
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
shindig

Post by shindig »

Thanks all, appreciate the kind words. Hopefully will have good news next Tuesday when he sees an oncologist. He's been so healthy all the years I've had him, since he was a puppy, so hoping for the best.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Sorry Shindig.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

shindig wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:11 pm Thanks all, appreciate the kind words. Hopefully will have good news next Tuesday when he sees an oncologist. He's been so healthy all the years I've had him, since he was a puppy, so hoping for the best.
I know it's easy for me to say shindig, but you have reason to be very optimistic:
shindig wrote:...Right now he is on anti-biotics and the lump is almost gone...
In...lymphoma, the lymph nodes are usually larger than those that occur with common infections, and they do not shrink when treated with standard medications like antibiotics.

In fact, when oncologists find no other signs of lymphoma other than a solitary enlarged lymph node, they'll often put a patient on antibiotics for a week or two instead of proceeding directly to a biopsy, and if it shrinks, they don't need to do a biopsy after all.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
shindig

Post by shindig »

Thanks Shirley. I do remember the doctor saying his lymph nodes were swollen in his back leg as well, but I couldn't really tell. They did do a needle biopsy on the lump on his neck and called me later Friday afternoon and said they were recommending an antibiotic first, so not sure if it was inconclusive or not. I've been afraid to call them back until his appointment next Tuesday with the oncologist. The lump was rather large, like the size of a small lemon and it appeared just out of the blue. I took him to doggy day care Thursday and I know I would have noticed the lump when I put his collar on, but when I picked him up, I could feel something was not right and a few hours later it was even more pronounced. But, like I said, I can't even feel it now and he's only been on antibiotics.
I'm not doing any research because I went down that rabbit hole with Bandit 12 years ago and it was depressing.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Well, got Magnum into an internal medicine vet this morning and they believe he is doing good; the lymph nodes are not noticeable or swollen. A couple more days of antibiotics and a re-check in a month or sooner if I notice them get swollen again, so I am hesitantly optimistic. His 12th birthday is this Friday, August 2nd, so I'm taking the day off to celebrate some good news and take him somewhere fun, before it gets too hot.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I like this previous post a lot!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

*heart emoji*
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Good news shindig
Trust me bro
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Yay! Glad to hear it shindig!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”