Uncle Joe

Ugh.
DeletedUser

Re: Uncle Joe

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:54 am Yea.

Sure is difficult to look past the Cold War capitalist conditioning.
JFC

you've had to come on here and ask for advice unclogging a sink and for strategies to outsmart the critters beating you to wild berries.

You think you're ready for life with society broken down where everyone has to fend for themselves?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that's what I'm saying...it needs to be better organized than everyone having to fend for themselves!

like I said, I don't have all the answers. But many of them - to answer your hypothetical questions - could be taken care of with, like I said, robust mutual aid.

and to be honest, I don't mind working. Far from it! I can get a sense of satisfaction from working hard, and from being able to see the fruits of my labor.

But, in a bigger general sense, I do have hesitations about working in a capitalist system, for the disproportionate benefit of the capitalist class, when one's hard work may not even be able to provide things like healthcare or groceries or heat or electricity.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ahhh, to be 20 again

oh, wait…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:10 am
DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:16 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:55 am

(And I’ve long opined the single best thing this country could do for ourselves would be a general strike)
What does a "general strike" look like to you? Just curious.
he has zero clue, but it sounds edgy and woke, and his entitled yuppy hippy chicks open their legs for such things
Prolly someone’s wife to be. Maybe someone on this site. Best not to ask the Mrs. Her history, though.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

gas is $3.99/gallon for regular where i live.

hopefully cnn campaigning for comma'la will bring that down.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

comma,la
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:59 am gas is $3.99/gallon for regular where i live.

$2.87 here. You probably have a distribution challenge up there
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:10 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:59 am gas is $3.99/gallon for regular where i live.

$2.99 here last week.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:21 am that's what I'm saying...it needs to be better organized than everyone having to fend for themselves!

like I said, I don't have all the answers. But many of them - to answer your hypothetical questions - could be taken care of with, like I said, robust mutual aid.

and to be honest, I don't mind working. Far from it! I can get a sense of satisfaction from working hard, and from being able to see the fruits of my labor.

But, in a bigger general sense, I do have hesitations about working in a capitalist system, for the disproportionate benefit of the capitalist class, when one's hard work may not even be able to provide things like healthcare or groceries or heat or electricity.
"Robust mutual aid"? Where do you read this stuff? Do you think there is going to be some magical entity who pays everyone so they can still live while on this mythical strike that accomplishes some magical reset of the entire system in your mind?

Like I said, it is a discussion point over beers only, not something that could ever be done in the real world. There's nothing wrong with that.

If your hard work doesn't result in enough money to pay for your basic needs then you have to adjust what you think you really need and/or put that hard work into something that generates more money.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:11 am
Sparko wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:10 am

$2.99 here last week.
We're in the $2.99-$3.09 range depending on where you go in town. I buy gas so infrequently now that I am not that great at remembering what I paid. I gas up maybe once every couple of weeks.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

once upon a time, democracy too was just "a discussion point over beers only."

"How could we possibly envision a life beyond this status quo? Now let's get another round of coorses."
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Ous: one party seems pretty good at addressing your grievances. And yet you go back to the pre-Lenin worldview. "All you have to gain is chains" with that thinking.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:16 am once upon a time, democracy too was just "a discussion point over beers only."

"How could we possibly envision a life beyond this status quo? Now let's get another round of coorses."
That line will hit well with the ladies but won't get you anything here. What problems does your solution fix and what problems does it cause? There is no way that you could even possibly drum up a complete list of all of the cataclysmic impacts of such an event.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Democracy over beers in the civitas. 3,000 years of speculation.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sparko wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:16 am Ous: one party seems pretty good at addressing your grievances. And yet you go back to the pre-Lenin worldview. "All you have to gain is chains" with that thinking.
I am the walrus?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the stock market has not responded favorably to president biden retiring.

gas prices have not responded favorably to president biden retiring.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Stocks were up 700 points when Harris took on the campaign. Dow up 230 points so far just today. And she'll call your Shell station.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you can't bs a bs'er. the market has been down since it opened monday.

gas prices up .30 a gallon since monday.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:21 am that's what I'm saying...it needs to be better organized than everyone having to fend for themselves!

I am beating a dead horse, but until you get some skin in the game, no one will take you seriously. Organizing means someone has to step up and lead. Someone has to make the sacrifice and do the work. You live in one of the most liberal progressive States in the US. Draft some like minded trustafarians to bank roll this thing. Invoke the spirit of homeboy Rodolfo Gonzales and organize and hit the streets. Start a commune, join a commune, put your theories to the test.

Get some skin in the game and get back to us. Talk is easy.

But back to Uncle Joe. It was a good speech last night. He is leaving on a high note. He should feel good about that.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

We do not have a significant enough of our population that is capable of feeding themselves to even begin to think about what you're suggesting.

Of our 333 million people, maybe what, 5% is capable of that? I know I am not. If I had to provide food for my family by hunting/fishing/harvesting, we'd be fucked. I can't shoot worth a shit, if it's moving even slightly, it's safe. I can fish, but I'd have to loot WalMart for supplies before it got picked over once society shutdown. Gardening? Sure, maybe. But those don't sprout up over night.

Your idea would cause a massive loss of life in less than 4 weeks. People in hospitals would die. Elderly would die. Children would die.

And then, the people with all the guns would start taking from the people without guns.