Recruiting

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: Recruiting

Post by DeletedUser »

The only reason Pollard has to lie is to be loyal to Roy and protect Roy's legacy put of respect to Roy.

I don't know how close they are. But that seems like the only reason to lie.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Imma go out on a limb and guess schools have PR coaches who work with players extensively and explicitly on what to say about things like benefits
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

general rule of thumb. if you have no real knowledge of the topic at hand. maybe don't comment on it. just leave it be and move on.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:52 am general rule of thumb. if you have no real knowledge of the topic at hand. maybe don't comment on it. just leave it be and move on.
if only you’d take your own advice
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:49 am Imma go out on a limb and guess schools have PR coaches who work with players extensively and explicitly on what to say about things like benefits
For sure.
But Pollard played over 25 years ago so I think i'll take him at his word now.
You all don't have to - feel free to come up with theories why he'd still be lying about it.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:14 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:49 am Imma go out on a limb and guess schools have PR coaches who work with players extensively and explicitly on what to say about things like benefits
For sure.
You all don't have to - feel free to come up with theories why he'd still be lying about it.
I think Pollard is probably telling the truth too.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:28 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:21 am
pdub wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:44 am

Big time players at Kansas dispute that.
Dispute what? Getting "paid"? They might dispute it but if they did most (not all) would be lying.
Players have been getting "paid" for a verrrrrrrry long time.
Shit, I was too transparent in the past when I used to tell people I was involved in "payments".
I don’t think a guy like Pollard is lying.
You believe what you want.
I said - "most (not all)". Right?

Here is what I believe and am confident about, most (not all) big time players got paid to come to, and paid while they were at, KU. Pollard himself would probably tell you the same.
I can believe Scot "DO Drugs Kids" Pollard wasn't "offered" money to come to KU but I don't believe for a second that he didn't have "things" provided to him by either the school or "boosters"/"friends of the program". He has been very careful with his choice of word (singular) "money".
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it used to be the case (or so i’ve been told), at least during the Williams tenure, that one of the car dealerships (Jim Ellena, i think), would hold a secret sale every so often that was known to the KU AD but not the general public. not sure of the specifics, other than if you happened to know about it and went in to buy a car on that day, they were required to give you the same deal
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm sure he got extra benefits.
But he also said he was pretty poor AF when at KU so I don't think they were substantial back then.

If someone is going 32 mph in a 25 mph zone which should probably be a 30 mph zone, that's not a big deal to me.

If someone is going 55 in that same 25 mph zone, that is a big deal to me.

Now everyone can go 55 mph on that road because they bulldozed all the residential spots and built outlet malls in place of them.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:14 am
For sure.
I’d guess part of the PR training is that the PR awareness doesn’t end after you leave Lawrence.

Wouldn’t put it past the NCAA to try for some investigation into some comment about some menial benefit from 25 years ago
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OK
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:51 am it used to be the case (or so i’ve been told), at least during the Williams tenure, that one of the car dealerships (Jim Ellena, i think), would hold a secret sale every so often that was known to the KU AD but not the general public. not sure of the specifics, other than if you happened to know about it and went in to buy a car on that day, they were required to give you the same deal
If I recall correctly (I probably don't) that may have dated back to the Ted Owens days.
I don't know if this is true but in addition to that, supposedly, if a player paid a 1$ (or more) a month to "lease" a car it was legit by NCAA standards.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:56 am I'm sure he got extra benefits.
But he also said he was pretty poor AF when at KU so I don't think they were substantial back then.

If someone is going 32 mph in a 25 mph zone which should probably be a 30 mph zone, that's not a big deal to me.

If someone is going 55 in that same 25 mph zone, that is a big deal to me.

Now everyone can go 55 mph on that road because they bulldozed all the residential spots and built outlet malls in place of them.
I didn't mean to come off as being argumentative in disrespectful way - and I apologize if I did.
You were 100% right to point out Pollard as an example.
While your analogy above is pretty spot on and I too have have a big problem with it, it's NOT funny that it is another example of careful what you wish for. The system was broke before and people wanted changes and now that they have happened, it's just as bad - and worse to different degrees.
The same scum bags who were involved in the old days are figuring ways to make money and benefit from the new ways - and now it's bred a new generation of scumbags.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

On campus in 2004-08 I remember Jeremy Case rolling around in a sweet red Audi.

One of the sporty hot rod models too…S4?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:00 pm On campus in 2004-08 I remember Jeremy Case rolling around in a sweet red Audi.

Case's dad is making $300k a year as an assistant coach at Ole Miss under Chris Beard. Maybe Jeremy just had a nice car. Not all basketball players are poor.

https://olemisssports.com/staff-directory/win-case/376
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

twocoach wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:59 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:00 pm On campus in 2004-08 I remember Jeremy Case rolling around in a sweet red Audi.

Case's dad is making $300k a year as an assistant coach at Ole Miss under Chris Beard. Maybe Jeremy just had a nice car. Not all basketball players are poor.

https://olemisssports.com/staff-directory/win-case/376
I'm confused, what does his father's job today have to do with when Jeremy was in college?
When Jeremy Case was at KU I was probably making less than half of what I am currently making now.
I have no idea, what do you think his Dad was making working at Oklahoma City University and his other gigs while Jeremy was at KU? Probably more than me but my guess is not a whole lot.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Actually, I heard Jeremy Case was only poor in practice.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:46 pm Tounde Yessoufou

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/ar ... 48860/amp/
The minutes should be there. I think we might be able to offer him a great situation with the chance to start immediately.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »