Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:57 am everyday is a good day to not be flying
^^^

Maybe your best post, ever!

BTW, glad you got most of your tools back.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Just commented in gutter’s thread before seeing the discussion here
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Southwest says it's ending open seating, and move to a whole-plane assigned seating system. I know I will be in the minority (which, broadly speaking, is kinda the why here), but I'm not happy about it.

I like open seating.

I like that I don't need to fuss with seats when buying a flight.

I like that I don't need to check availability between booking and flying.

I like that I can pick where I want to be as late as on the jetway - maybe some days I want an aisle, or to be near (or away from!) someone I see at the gate, or to be closer to the middle (for internet purposes) or the front (for noise/speed of escape purposes).

I like open seating, and it's possible that this change will cause me to look at other carriers more. If I don't get the flexibility and power-user-friendliness of the policy, then why wouldn't I pick an assigned-seat carrier with newer/nicer planes and seats and food/bev?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I liked it solely because I have a kid under 6 and could board early without an assigned seat.

I dislike it because of the tactics that people will/would try to get an empty seat next to them.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I always fly SW unless I can't, and I like the open seating, too. That's partially because I already pay a little extra to get an A-section seat, so I doubt this will impact how much I pay that much, but I'll get extra leg room for doing it?

And, as long as they keep the 2-bags fly free policy*, it will be hard for me to want to change.

*I can't for the life of me figure out why an airline that's struggling financially wouldn't change that policy, even if it were only to "One bag flies free", instead of two.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:47 pm I always fly SW unless I can't, and I like the open seating, too. That's partially because I already pay a little extra to get an A-section seat, so I doubt this will impact how much I pay that much, but I'll get extra leg room for doing it?

And, as long as they keep the 2-bags fly free policy*, it will be hard for me to want to change.

*I can't for the life of me figure out why an airline that's struggling financially wouldn't change that policy, even if it were only to "One bag flies free", instead of two.
Because they WANT people to check bags, rather than rely on the overhead space.

It will be interesting, though, to see if that preference holds given (1) the change to the boarding process meaning less of a scramble for overhead space, and (2) the balance in aircraft inventory tilting every month toward more MAX and -800s (with bigger bins) and away from the older, smaller-binned -700s.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

looks like the wife and i will be flying her 86 year old grandmother from MCI to Rapid City…gonna show her the sights of the Black Hills while we’re up there

anyone ever dealt with bookings and accommodations for the elderly? looks like i can just call the airline ahead of time to set up assistance and gate-to-gate travel (she’ll probably have a lay over in Denver…ugh)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:56 am looks like the wife and i will be flying her 86 year old grandmother from MCI to Rapid City…gonna show her the sights of the Black Hills while we’re up there

anyone ever dealt with bookings and accommodations for the elderly? looks like i can just call the airline ahead of time to set up assistance and gate-to-gate travel (she’ll probably have a lay over in Denver…ugh)
I took my mom to my uncle's funeral in LA several years ago. We called the airline and they arranged a motorized golf cart thingie. Check with the hotel for accessible rooms.
Trust me bro
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 3:08 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:56 am looks like the wife and i will be flying her 86 year old grandmother from MCI to Rapid City…gonna show her the sights of the Black Hills while we’re up there

I took my mom to my uncle's funeral in LA several years ago. We called the airline and they arranged a motorized golf cart thingie. Check with the hotel for accessible rooms.
thanks

fortunately we don’t have to fuss with hotels (family vacation home). she’s from rural se nebraska, and i think was last up there more than 30 years ago. ought to be a fun time
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Going camping one on one with mini Bud for first time tomorrow night.

Lake. Teach her to build a fire with needles and brush. Tin foil dinner.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Just got to Milwaukee.

Turning up for my KU roomie’s wedding!

I’ve never not had a fantastic time here. Almost did/might still get its own thread.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

For real this Uber ride’s only gone like four blocks yet I’ve already seen 75 dive bars.

On second thought maybe I should just live blog in the sat shack thread
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:50 pm Going camping one on one with mini Bud for first time tomorrow night.

Never too early to start teaching her to save dryer lint to use an an accelerant!

Have fun!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I try fully natural first but yea…I got lots of newspaper as back up.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:58 pm
pdub wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:50 pm Going camping one on one with mini Bud for first time tomorrow night.

Never too early to start teaching her to save dryer lint to use an an accelerant!

Have fun!
rub with Vaseline, store in pill bottle or film canister to keep dry. Or rub with Vaseline, stuff in toilet paper roll, seal with paraffin wax and cut slices when ready for use
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Douse dryer lint with candle wax. Makes a great charcoal lighter.
Trust me bro
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Suggestions please!

Requirements....
Hotel in the Beverly Hills/West Hollywood/Century City area.
NOT Sofitel, NOT Century Plaza, NOT Cameo, NOT Beverly Hilton
Less than $650 a night room.
Larger than 325 square foot room.
Balcony - or at least windows/doors that open to the outside.
Pool
Restaurant with room service option
Valet/over night parking

Bonus - Nice view/s
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.