What music does everyone listen to?

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: What music does everyone listen to?

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:16 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:26 am
TDub wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:11 pm https://youtu.be/05xkiGF3guA?si=JgOMQCxpcnbcfQ2F

first new country that actually sounds like country that I've heard in 25+ years
Hate on me because I probably deserve it but I am going to be brutally honest.
There are times when that type of music is basically nails on a chalkboard to me. The strange thing is, in the right setting at the right time, I can (and do) enjoy it.
I can't explain it.
I don't hate on you Gutter, people like different things, and that's OK.

I was just surprised to hear something new that actually sounded like country and not some sort of poppy schmoozy Hollywood bullshit.
^^^
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Red Clay Strays.

any fans out there? they are on to something.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I'm not a fan of her's but I give her a lot of credit. When you can bring this much joy to people - you're doing a good thing. Best was seeing the videos of Jason going nuts.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8kAMh0A ... _copy_link
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:48 pm I'm not a fan of her's but I give her a lot of credit. When you can bring this much joy to people - you're doing a good thing. Best was seeing the videos of Jason going nuts.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8kAMh0A ... _copy_link
Boom! Roasted.
https://twitter.com/consequence/status/ ... 8188815365
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I watched a little of Eras (why do I think this says EE-ras?) with my granddaughter who just turned 5 yesterday. She loved it. I was wondering what if the tape broke.

Not my thing but a lot of people love it. I was looking for the band. She did play a pink, sparkly guitar and had some guitar players on stage with her for a while. I dunno, maybe they did play their instruments. I'm convinced she was lip syncing though.

In the end, I didn't hate it, it's not disco. Still isn't for me.
Trust me bro
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Agree 99. I want to like the music, but haven't heard much. She basically takes a lick and loops it. The dancers make it more ridiculous. But a small girl can easily be captivated by the pagentry. Pop music will be all AI soon enough. We want to celebrate people. She is at her best at allowing that to happen.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Being that Swift's a country artist, be careful or you might hurt Tdub's feelings.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Swifts not s country artist and she's terrible music.
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

TDub wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:58 pm Swifts not s country artist and she's terrible music.
I can agree she is not a country artist but......She 100% was a country artist (and still performs country music songs).
I can agree she's terrible music (at least too much terrible music) but..... She 100% has songs that many musicians who are pretty damn "good music" enjoy and give her praise for.

Nominated for 31 Academy of Country Music awards.
Nominated for 24 American Country awards.
Nominated for 25 BMI Country awards.
Nominated for 28 Country Music Association awards.
Nominated for 25 CMT Music awards.
I am too lazy to look up how many of her AMA, Grammy, Billboard, and People's Choice nominations, were for country songs/albums but I know some were.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Was looking to see what was going on in Chicago this weekend.
Taste of Lincoln Avenue.
Band I used to see in the late 80s/early 90s. Lead singer killed himself a long time ago.
I guess the two remaining members are playing with someone else tonight.
Nostalgia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Tx09oZHVA
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:47 am Was looking to see what was going on in Chicago this weekend.
Taste of Lincoln Avenue.
Band I used to see in the late 80s/early 90s. Lead singer killed himself a long time ago.
I guess the two remaining members are playing with someone else tonight.
Nostalgia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Tx09oZHVA
That’s pretty fucked up Gutter…..tricking us into a Dennis Miller lead in….
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

A whole new genre:
https://youtu.be/DHspDQZKvwg?si=s4PiuPMrSUJkb3DJ

Olde English covers
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Just got home from the Paloozer. Didn't get there till after 6:00pm being that I worked all day.
I only saw a few performers. Lizzy McAlpine (I thought she/they were very good - but I didn't love), Flo/FLO whatever (not my thing), and Dadi Freyr (entertaining).
I'm almost dreading going tomorrow (not a single performer I can say I WANT to see) but promised a co-worker I will meet up with her daughter and niece.

This was the crowd for a 5:00pm performance. Chappell Roan. Realize there are other stages with other performers at the same time. Definition of insanity to me. Hot (and humid) "as fuck". I don't care how much you like her, how can it be fun to be in the middle of that? PASS!

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I hadn’t heard of Chappell Roan.
I listened to her most popular song, Good Luck Babe. Ok. Catchy. You sound like Katy Perry. There’s some 80s throw back. I get it.

Tried next most popular song Hot to Go.
Made it 15 seconds. Awful.
Get off my lawn.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

She's the flavor of the month. Her song is kind of a "summer anthem". Ok, so be it but, I guesstimate that's anywhere from 50,000 to 70,000 people, packed in like sardines, when it was about 90 degrees with 80% humidity and at times the sun beating down on people. Hell on Earth.
Katy Perry is a good analogy. I probably wouldn't have made it through 15 minutes if she was playing in front of 100 people in perfect weather.

Same time she was performing.....
I would have 100% gone to see Jungle (Who I have seen). I feel they are MUCH better than Chappell Roan.
The Japanese House - Not my thing but still a somewhat "known" band in a much less crowded atmosphere.
Gioli & Assai - Ok, I get people would want to see Chappell Roan instead of a "DJ" set.
Then you had Farley Grandmaster Funk and Walter The Producer too.

Very little interests me today.
Fully admit I will see Stray Kids for about 30-45 minutes tonight. For theatrics more than music. I enjoy watching the crowd/s at K-Pop stuff too.

I have a feeling Miley Cyrus may show up for her sister's (half/step) gig.
If she does, probably won't top Bella Thorne when she showed up for her sister's.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChDF55xOa0M/
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Just so to see if I was missing out on some good bands I played the most popular songs of the more popular artists opening for Lollapalooza. Note I am only judging them from their most popular song.

Chappell Roan - Good Luck Babe : B- ( she's got a good voice, I like the fun 80s bop, I don't like this kind of pop but as noted above, I get why the youngins would like it )
Been Stellar - Scream from New York: C- ( wants very much to be in the 90s but that voice sucks dude )
Benson Boone - Beautiful Things: B- ( good voice but loose the vibrato bro )
Tyla - Water: D+ ( nah. autotuned overproduced. )
dv4vd - Romantic Homicide: C ( nothing really wrong, nothing really good - this is one boring song )
Lizzy McAlpine - ceilings: B ( not for me, sappy girl song, but melody good, light acoustic good, and builds well with what I assume is a standup bass )
Blondshell - Olympus: B- ( this is fine. kinda dull )
Kesha - Tik Tok: F ( I hate this song )
Hozier - Too Sweet: A- ( ok, good voice, kickin' bass line, good build up, chorus changes, different bridge, this song 'slaps' )
BigXthaPlug - Mmhmm: D- ( nope. you're sampling Will Smith's Miami? and this is what you do with it? )
The Japanese House - Touching Yourself: D+ ( this song is all over the place, it just is like one long run on )
Elyanna - Ganeni: D ( just not my thing at all )
Labrinth - Formula: B- ( some sweet synth/beats - but can we not autotune everyone's voices plz )
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the wife loves Labrinth (he does most of the Euphoria soundtrack), but i agree…too much digitization. he’s actually got a good voice, and is crazy talented (imo) with his arrangements
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And finally, because i'm on a Get Off My Lawn tangent here, and listened to Roan's Good Luck Babe twice so I could give it a score, this kind of message ( in this song ) probably appeals to this generation.

I prefer a breakup song to be:
A. they are missing them and are just upset
B. they are talking about how unfortunate how close it could have been and upset that it just didnt quite work but wish them well
C. they are just like fuck it, you weren't worth it

This Good Luck Babe is a song about how, because someone broke up with her, a person is going to regret their entire life because they didn't stay with the singer, as if the singer was the greatest thing that could have ever happened to the person who broke up with them. Maybe, just maybe, they just didn't like you?

You know what I say to the singer?
Good Luck Babe.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Awful music with electronic enhancements. Jazz, classical, alternative rock or stay home.