Assassination attempt on trump

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Assassination attempt on trump

Post by KUTradition »

The former president insisted Thursday that it was a bullet that struck one of his ears following FBI Director Christopher Wray saying when testifying in front of Congress Wednesday that “there’s some question about whether or not it’s a bullet or shrapnel that, you know, hit his ear.”

“No, it was, unfortunately, a bullet that hit my ear, and hit it hard. There was no glass, there was no shrapnel,” Trump posted on Truth Social. “The hospital called it a ‘bullet wound to the ear,’ and that is what it was. No wonder the once storied FBI has lost the confidence of America!”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

If only hospitals kept “records” of things that could be “released” so that we have objective evidence of what “happened.”

Look, in some ways this is a distinction without a difference, but in others it’s not.

And it is quite something that this is really not an unanswerable question. It’s not a puzzle. It’s not even a word search. It’s Highlights level stuff.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There was a suggestion that the wound could be self-inflicted or faked. Normally the records would be released to tamp down that kind of speculation. But here we enter the surreal antics of Trump where he invites conspiracy theories then tamps them down with semi-fraudulent press releases by people taking dictation. Rinse. Repeat.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

for sure the whole episode was staged. the rally was staged. the shooting was staged. the moments after were staged. the days after were staged. it was shot like a mockumentary in the back lot at universal studios.

political theatre.

as usual. you are the last to know.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

as usual, you add nothing of substance to the discussion
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Sparko wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:03 am There was a suggestion that the wound could be self-inflicted or faked. Normally the records would be released to tamp down that kind of speculation. But here we enter the surreal antics of Trump where he invites conspiracy theories then tamps them down with semi-fraudulent press releases by people taking dictation. Rinse. Repeat.
The headlines in the media are all Kamala! Kamala! Kamala!

The only thing trumpty dumpy has going for him right now is his ear and bandage "controversies". He ain't giving that up, he would fade into obscurity for a week if he did.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Why does it matter if it was a bullet or bullet fragment?

Does that make it any less scary that someone tried to kill him and an innocent man lost his life in front of his family?

I don't get this move by some on the left to downplay what happened. It's a bad look.

Sure, it's annoying that Trump is now being talked about as a courageous tough guy by his followers. But, oh well.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Chris Wray isn’t “left”, and saying that it may have been glass or shrapnel isn’t downplaying it, imo…you still die from either of those things

i’m not sure who else you’re referring to that’s downplaying it

i think the pushback is a direct result of the martyrdom tone trump has taken since. imo, he’s excessively trying to capitalize on the event (notice how quickly all the unity talk, and impression that it changed him disappeared)
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

he didn’t “take bullet for democracy”

so gross
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:10 am he didn’t “take bullet for democracy”

so gross
I agree.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:47 am
Sparko wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:03 am There was a suggestion that the wound could be self-inflicted or faked. Normally the records would be released to tamp down that kind of speculation. But here we enter the surreal antics of Trump where he invites conspiracy theories then tamps them down with semi-fraudulent press releases by people taking dictation. Rinse. Repeat.
The headlines in the media are all Kamala! Kamala! Kamala!

The only thing trumpty dumpy has going for him right now is his ear and bandage "controversies". He ain't giving that up, he would fade into obscurity for a week if he did.
And, if Trump does manage to wrest the news cycle away from Kamala and the gift-that-keeps-on-giving weirdoness of JD, (unless it happens to be particularly negative news about Trump), expect the childless cat lady from San Fran Sodom and Gomorrah to announce her VP pick, and take it back.
Last edited by Shirley on Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

and to be clear, i’m not in the camp that was disappointed the shooter missed…and i despise that motherfucker to my core
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:08 am
i think the pushback is a direct result of the martyrdom tone trump has taken since. imo, he’s excessively trying to capitalize on the event
Of course he's trying to capitalize on it. That's what he does. And, I guess when someone attempts to assassinate you, that's probably a predictable outcome.

He'd be smart to stick to playing the martyr and stay away from insulting Kamala, because he needs the moderate woman vote and insulting her does nothing to help him win more of that segment of voters.

Trust me, the new tough guy Trump folk lore is annoying as hell to me too. But that event was a positive for his chances at winning for a variety of reasons. It's definitely energized his base.

Thankfully it sounds like Kamala is closing the gap in recent polling. But this is going to be a nailbiter all the way until the end, and probably after.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:17 am and to be clear, i’m not in the camp that was disappointed the shooter missed…and i despise that motherfucker to my core
I agree. I think our country dodged a bullet with the shooter not killing him. There would have been total chaos.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:59 am Why does it matter if it was a bullet or bullet fragment?

Does that make it any less scary that someone tried to kill him and an innocent man lost his life in front of his family?
The issue is that these are two COMPLETELY different questions.

Whether or not Trump was actually struck by a bullet is completely irrelevant to how scary it was, or the gravity of the security failures, or anything having to do with any analysis of the event itself.

It was an assassination attempt, full stop. And it is not one iota less serious whether Trump was hit or not; it would not be one iota less serious if the gun had malfunctioned or the round misfired.

However, it matters A LOT for other reasons.

It matters, A LOT, that Trump is campaigning and fundraising off of a fact set that he may KNOW not to be true, for example. I'm aware that it is difficult to separate the gravity of any one lie from the 672,374 he has told in the last ten years, but this would be a top-1%er.

And doesn't Trump's ENTIRE campaign until eight days ago mean that it matters, A LOT, whether a President (or candidate) is honest about matters affecting his health? If Trump and those around him are willing to lie about him getting shot, then why wouldn't they lie about his physical, mental or emotional wellbeing in other areas?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:18 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:08 am
i think the pushback is a direct result of the martyrdom tone trump has taken since. imo, he’s excessively trying to capitalize on the event
Of course he's trying to capitalize on it. That's what he does. And, I guess when someone attempts to assassinate you, that's probably a predictable outcome.

He'd be smart to stick to playing the martyr and stay away from insulting Kamala, because he needs the moderate woman vote and insulting her does nothing to help him win more of that segment of voters.

Trust me, the new tough guy Trump folk lore is annoying as hell to me too. But that event was a positive for his chances at winning for a variety of reasons. It's definitely energized his base.

Thankfully it sounds like Kamala is closing the gap in recent polling. But this is going to be a nailbiter all the way until the end, and probably after.
i don’t think playing the martyr does anything to sway those folks who are on the fence. i think it’s a bad look.

it’s par for the course tho. the guy (and party apparently) is stuck living in the past…relitigation, revision, and revenge

other than mass deportation, what policies have they put forth?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Sorry, is martyr being used now to simply identify as an opposition to a set of beliefs?

I understand the term as identifying an individual(s) killed for their (religious) beliefs.

1. Trump didn’t die.
2. See #1.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:59 am Why does it matter if it was a bullet or bullet fragment?

I don't get this move by some on the left to downplay what happened. It's a bad look.

Sure, it's annoying that Trump is now being talked about as a courageous tough guy by his followers. But, oh well.
Answer to your first question....
It matters IF the shooter was purposely trying to shoot him - or if the shooter was purposely trying to miss him.
Do you know either to be true or false for a fact?

Answer to your 2nd question....
It's an ASSUMPTION someone tried to kill him. Probably a safe one but still an assumption none the less.

It's 100% understandable for the left to "downplay" the bullshit the right is spewing about what happened and DIDN'T happen, and their using it as a tool to imply Trump is someone/something he is not.

"Oh well"? Your first 5 sentences don't imply/say - "oh well".
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:01 am

Answer to your first question....
It matters IF the shooter was purposely trying to shoot him - or if the shooter was purposely trying to miss him.
I don't agree with this. At least as far as the macro important things go - whether the shooter meant to hit Trump or not is wholly irrelevant to the gravity of the failure here, which is that this was able to happen in the first place.

And whether the shooter means to hit Trump or not is (based on what is known to date) wholly irrelevant to the gravity of telling the truth (or not) about the injury suffered.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

You guys don't really think he was purposely trying to miss him, right?

That's crazy town.

I don't care whether the bullet pierced his ear, grazed his ear, or whether it was a fragment. Seems sort of miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

The fact he is going to exaggerate it to make himself seem as tough as possible means nothing to me. He exaggerates everything.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.