Assassination attempt on trump

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Assassination attempt on trump

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:01 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:19 am so, trump supporter?

“echo chamber” seems to be the go-to for such people
Come on traddie. You know B2L is no trump supporter.
And we can get a little echo-y
i wouldn’t think so, but he doesn’t partake in the pols board much
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:36 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:19 am so, trump supporter?

“echo chamber” seems to be the go-to for such people
Aren’t you a scientist? I can’t remember. I know you are smart.

I wish we could go back to a time where smart people such as yourself wouldn’t form such perceptions based on someone saying a term as originally intended.

That said, both poles of the political spectrum are echo chambers, and have been for a long time.

I’m not offended that you’d ask if I was a Trump supporter, as that would be a silly reaction.

I am, however, saddened that such a response seemed normal.
hmmm…you didn’t answer the question

i don’t deny that things can get echo-y around here, as 99 says. i’m just not sure if it applies in this particular instance, which is why i thought yours might’ve been a knee-jerk emotional reaction a la psych or randi

if that’s not the case, sorry to have ruffled feathers
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Frankly, it shouldn’t matter who/what I believe.

Again, I used a phrase as intended. The knee-jerk was an assumption (or need to know) what it might indicate.

YOUR reaction to my usage is my concern. Not your beliefs or viewpoint. And the fact (as it seems to me here) that such a response, again, seemed normal, and ‘reasonable’ is what is wrong with US as a collective.

And again, it saddens me that someone I know is smart enough not to do these things did them here.

You didn’t ruffle my feathers. At all. You solidified what I believe, in this instance. We, as a collective, assume each other are cunts first, and look towards creating divergent paths rather than parallel ones.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if you’re concerned, then feathers are ruffled

sorry
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Given the upheaval of the last few weeks, the accoustics are dead. Few echoes, many voices.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Is there anything all that "echo chamber-y" about what I said, in the first place? Which is that Trump has less emotional and mental complexity than nearly everyone here has demonstrated, just HERE, over the course of our years at the various stops?

To put it differently, what is the BEST evidence there is that Trump even has complex and nuanced thoughts? He expresses nothing that comes across as genuine humor, empathy, affection, introspection or discernment.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’m sure there are plenty in the center and on the right that would agree, privately if not publicly
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:40 pm if you’re concerned, then feathers are ruffled

sorry
I’ve always understood it to indicate being upset or put off by. Which don’t apply here. If my understanding is wrong, my bad.

But I’m positive it doesn’t mean simply showing concern, which could be either positive or negative.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

If there is one issue, Fish, on which there should be consensus, it is on Trump's general dumb assery.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:49 pm i’m sure there are plenty in the center and on the right that would agree, privately if not publicly
Exactly. But few do so publicly. Which is a big part of why we are where we are. Being a moderate is a sign of weakness, it seems. That said:

Fish- on the surface, I don’t think your comments are ‘echo-chamber y’. I inferred reaction and how the little ducks feet would be a paddling in response, not as a reaction to what you were saying. Hence, ‘back to the echo chamber we go’. My communication of this message could have been pour.

Sparko- absolutely agree. I don’t know how anyone could champion Trump after his actions. Similarly, I wasn’t sure how anyone could champion Biden when he was still in the race. But, you’ve gotta pick a side, right?

Not really. Both suck. And to our system, my vote in a national level only means something to me as an individual. I know full well it doesn’t actually matter in Kansas, the result has already been determined here. Same in Utah. And Missouri. And Florida (right?). And Maine. And Illinois. I know there are other states that are represented here that aren’t ‘battleground’ states.

Guess what. Mich is the only person’s vote who actually might make a meaningful difference to the results of the November election.

And for the record, I in no way believe the electoral college is a broken system. It’s actually working (for good or bad, you decide) as intended as much as ever.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:02 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:49 pm i’m sure there are plenty in the center and on the right that would agree, privately if not publicly
Exactly. But few do so publicly. Which is a big part of why we are where we are. Being a moderate is a sign of weakness, it seems.
I would still disagree with this, particularly in light of everything that has happened since the moment the first debate ended.

Anti-Trump people - lefties, moderates, whatever - immediately had loud and public conversations about the questions of whether Biden was (1) fit for the job, and (2) even if fit for the job, electable for a second run at it.

Those loud and public conversations resulted in a change at the top of the ticket.

On the "other side," no criticism of Trump is permitted. We have rearranged everything we thought we knew about our system of government in order to appease his towering ego and give him the best shot at becoming the dictator he tells us loudly and publicly that he intends to be.

It is only on that other side that being a moderate is a sign of weakness: it gets you branded a RINO and kicked out of the tent.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Yeah fish. We were talking about the right per Trad’s comments. We are all saying same thing here about the right.

I didn’t make comment about left, or intend to, at least if that’s how it read.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Testifying before the Senate Homeland Security and Judiciary Committees Tuesday, FBI Deputy Director Paul Abbate revealed new details on a social media account believed to belong to Trump’s attempted assassin, 20-year-old Thomas Crooks.

In his opening remarks, Abbate said that the FBI has not yet determined Crooks’s motive, but investigators have discovered a social media account “believed to be associated with the shooter in about the 2019–2020 timeframe,” when Crooks would have been roughly 15–17 years old.

The activity of the account, which posted over 700 comments, Abbate said, “appear to reflect antisemitic and anti-immigration themes, to espouse political violence, and are described as extreme in nature.”

While stressing that investigators are still working to confirm that the account belonged to Crooks, Abbate said, “We believe it important to share and note it today, particularly given the general absence of other information to date from social media and other sources of information that reflect on the shooter’s potential motive and mindset.”

If verified, the indications of Crooks’s political extremism would shed light on the would-be assassin’s yet obscure politics; Crooks made a $15 donation to a progressive organization in 2021, but was a registered Republican.

(New Republic)
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Even some racists and bigots hate Trump. Shows just how easy it is to dislike that man.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:56 pm Even some racists and bigots hate Trump. Shows just how easy it is to dislike that man.
Especially if they did contracted work for him. Can't help cheating the staff
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:42 pm Testifying before the Senate Homeland Security and Judiciary Committees Tuesday, FBI Deputy Director Paul Abbate revealed new details on a social media account believed to belong to Trump’s attempted assassin, 20-year-old Thomas Crooks.

In his opening remarks, Abbate said that the FBI has not yet determined Crooks’s motive, but investigators have discovered a social media account “believed to be associated with the shooter in about the 2019–2020 timeframe,” when Crooks would have been roughly 15–17 years old.

The activity of the account, which posted over 700 comments, Abbate said, “appear to reflect antisemitic and anti-immigration themes, to espouse political violence, and are described as extreme in nature.”

While stressing that investigators are still working to confirm that the account belonged to Crooks, Abbate said, “We believe it important to share and note it today, particularly given the general absence of other information to date from social media and other sources of information that reflect on the shooter’s potential motive and mindset.”

If verified, the indications of Crooks’s political extremism would shed light on the would-be assassin’s yet obscure politics; Crooks made a $15 donation to a progressive organization in 2021, but was a registered Republican.

(New Republic)
Very possible that he is just another representative example of the basic math in play, which is that if you have this many guns that are this easy to get, and this much craziness and division and bitterness, you’re simply going to have more outlier cases.

It’s really not SO different from why we can’t go a year without breaking hurricane records, etc - when you create and maintain and bolster the conditions for “rare” events, they are by their nature going to become regular.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Kind of an Oswald feel. More questions than answers. I am interested in his last few weeks of contacts and movements
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:08 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:42 pm Testifying before the Senate Homeland Security and Judiciary Committees Tuesday, FBI Deputy Director Paul Abbate revealed new details on a social media account believed to belong to Trump’s attempted assassin, 20-year-old Thomas Crooks.

(New Republic)
Very possible that he is just another representative example of the basic math in play, which is that if you have this many guns that are this easy to get, and this much craziness and division and bitterness, you’re simply going to have more outlier cases.

It’s really not SO different from why we can’t go a year without breaking hurricane records, etc - when you create and maintain and bolster the conditions for “rare” events, they are by their nature going to become regular.
that was my immediate feeling after it went down (posted in the mass shootings thread)

we are now in an era where these things have become more likely
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Trump Keeps Watching Clip of Himself Being Shot at: ‘May Legit Have PTSD’

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-kee ... -have-ptsd

Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Donny is mentally damaged by losing 1/64” of the top of his ear…. Yet he considers veterans who have been injured or killed suckers and losers.

I mean, sure, John McCain was tortured for a few years…. But his ears seems more or less intact
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy