Evil Rich People

Ugh.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: Evil Rich People

Post by Overlander »

Fucking dork
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

If only the dork couldn't
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Zuck on Trump’s fist pump:

“One of the most badass things I’ve ever seen in my life”

(In the same interview in which he says he’s NOT gonna endorse a candidate)
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:08 am Zuck on Trump’s fist pump:

“One of the most badass things I’ve ever seen in my life”

(In the same interview in which he says he’s NOT gonna endorse a candidate)
Being honest (probably to a fault), I don't know if I am supposed to think of a few or a million "badass" things I have seen in my life but I do feel it was "badass". To whatever degree that may be.

P.S. Type in Elon Musk Donald Trump on the X/Twitter search bar. See what pops up.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, the $45 mil a month?

The best democracy money can buy.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:50 am Yea, the $45 mil a month?

The best democracy money can buy.
The Supreme Court was already taken, so what did you expect?
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean, Citizens United was like 14 years ago.

And I’m worried about stuff like Project 2025 too. But in a way I’m less concerned about one particular event or election or moment in the one, and even more concerned about some bigger picture systemic trend toward consolidation of wealth and power.

“Be careful, when a democracy is sick, fascism comes to its bedside, but it is not to inquire about its health.”
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:45 pm I mean, Citizens United was like 14 years ago.

And I’m worried about stuff like Project 2025 too. But in a way I’m less concerned about one particular event or election or moment in the one, and even more concerned about some bigger picture systemic trend toward consolidation of wealth and power.

“Be careful, when a democracy is sick, fascism comes to its bedside, but it is not to inquire about its health.”
Then perhaps you should vote for the party that's been trying to reform campaign finance for decades and has been against "Citizens United" from the beginning, instead of making an admirable but useless statement with your vote?
Derek Cressman
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What’s the dem plan, exactly, to reform campaign finance and counter Citizens United?

Apparently Biden proposed it during the ‘20 campaign and early on in his tenure, but Politifact lists the initiative as “stalled”

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... superpacs/
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:06 pm What’s the dem plan, exactly, to reform campaign finance and counter Citizens United?

Apparently Biden proposed it during the ‘20 campaign and early on in his tenure, but Politifact lists the initiative as “stalled”

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... superpacs/
The "plan" is to get a majority in both houses of congress* during a Democratic administration and then enact a horde of reform policies.

*That doesn't include faux Democrats like Manchin, Sinema, or Joe Lieberman.
Derek Cressman
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Didn’t Dems have a majority in both houses in 2010 coincidentally when Citizens United dropped?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:20 pm Didn’t Dems have a majority in both houses in 2010 coincidentally when Citizens United dropped?
Republicans controlled the house after the 2010 election, and Scott Brown won a special election to end the "super majority" Dems had in the Senate...Which included Joe Lieberman, who campaigned against Obama for McCain in 2008, which is why I mentioned him.
Derek Cressman
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

In 2010, the Kansas Kochs began to literally strangle democracy using astroturf. Yay.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Elon already causing Kamala problems on Twitter, limiting the number of folks who can follow her

https://newrepublic.com/post/184097/tru ... s-problems
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: The Real Housewives of Austin, Texas!

Elon Musk Says He Never Pledged to Donate $45 Million Per Month to Trump

“I'm not donating $45 million a month to Trump,” the Tesla CEO said Monday, after Trump bragged about Musk’s contributions at a rally this weekend...
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Mr. "Free Speech" putting his finger on the political scale?

Say it isn't so! (191,000 participants, $4.2 million dollars raised.)

Everyone who's surprised will now stand on their head, and spit rubber nickels.

X suspends ‘White Dudes for Harris’ account after massive fundraiser
Derek Cressman
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

why any reasonable person still uses that platform is beyond me
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I almost wish we could just like nationalize a communication platform that would pretty much just be OG Twitter - short messages that get to the point with robust real-time search and hashtag features, largely for the sake of breaking news and current event discussion.

And while I know nationalizing anything is kinda scary, at this point I kinda think that might still be a better option than to just keep letting Evil Rich People do what they’re doing to it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:28 am I almost wish we could just like nationalize a communication platform that would pretty much just be OG Twitter - short messages that get to the point with robust real-time search and hashtag features, largely for the sake of breaking news and current event discussion.

And while I know nationalizing anything is kinda scary, at this point I kinda think that might still be a better option than to just keep letting Evil Rich People do what they’re doing to it.
Let me make sure I understand what you're saying. The "don't trust anything the gov't tells us because they lied about WMDs in Iraq" guy wants the government to be in charge of a social media platform and it's allowable contents? Do I have that right?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, apparently I should have added, I think it would have to be independently administered and stuff.

But yea, if we start getting force fed the prescribed narratives, then it wouldn’t be worth much.

Tho, considering how much of the prescribed narratives we’re force fed on the private for-profit media anyway, how much worse could it be?