What happened to the immigration thread?

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: What happened to the immigration thread?

Post by ousdahl »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:00 pm "The only one left who can remember...."

You think you're a lot smarter than you actually are.
I honestly don't think I'm smart.

But I also try to evaluate issues based on some objective substance of the issues, rather than based on which way the partisan wind blows at any given moment.

that's how we got to where we are!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:59 pm checks and balances. get rid of them. then/than you can do whatever you want. whenever you want.
That's your team's plan.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:05 pm
But I also try to evaluate issues based on some objective substance of the issues, rather than based on which way the partisan wind blows at any given moment.
So do all the rest of us except 1 or 2 people.

You're literally just spewing the memes and GIFs most of us see online. Daily.

Your algorithm thinks you're a republican nowadays it seems. You're presenting the same flawed logic that the right leaning internet influencers are presenting.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

("objective substance of the issues" would seem to include taking Putin's word for it on Ukraine nazis.)
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Is your point that the Dems border policies are xenophobic? Or that the Pubs policies weren't xenophobic back when they were being called that?

What is the purpose here?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:09 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:05 pm
So do all the rest of us except 1 or 2 people.

You're literally just spewing the memes and GIFs most of us see online. Daily.

Your algorithm thinks you're a republican nowadays it seems. You're presenting the same flawed logic that the right leaning internet influencers are presenting.
which 1 or 2, exactly?

and what flawed logic, exactly?

do those right leaning internet influencers wish the dems would stop capitulating to pubs, and various other right-wing ideologies?

it's also pretty funny that illy's gone from vilifying me for forming my world views upon memes, to vilifying me for "literally just spewing" the memes he (and apparently most other!) see online. Daily.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

You're really struggling today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. This is awful to watch in real time.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:11 pm Is your point that the Dems border policies are xenophobic? Or that the Pubs policies weren't xenophobic back when they were being called that?

my point is that Dems and pubs both keep creeping further and further right about so many issues, and rather than be cognizant of it, so many otherwise-decent posters here would rather keep bickering along partisan lines. you know, that illustration when one fish turns to the other and asks, "what water?"

initiatives like suspending border asylum seems xenophobic, cruel, and at odds with the values upon which our nation was (supposedly) founded - regardless of whether it's dems or pubs doing it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:18 pm You're really struggling today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. This is awful to watch in real time.
yea, it's pretty awful to watch. but the one struggling is not me.

now, if you keep coming at me with antagonism, I'm going to keep responding. Please refrain! Just fucking ignore me already. Cuz, in your own words - you really are getting dominated here.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:11 pm ("objective substance of the issues" would seem to include taking Putin's word for it on Ukraine nazis.)
reported.

for real fish, be a bigger person than this ongoing petty attempt to troll.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Yup. You're dominating this topic. But not in the way you think you are.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:23 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:11 pm ("objective substance of the issues" would seem to include taking Putin's word for it on Ukraine nazis.)
reported.

It's not an attempt to troll. It goes right to how you go about forming and then expressing opinions on things.

Specifically, you're here lecturing us on how we should focus on the "objective substance of issues." Meanwhile, you are (in another thread) in a two-and-a-half-year-and-running temper tantrum that basically boils down to you giving credence to Putin's talking points justifying his war on Ukraine and its citizens. That temper tantrum has included, multiple times, things like you taking the fact of a genocide investigation Ukraine asked for as evidence of Ukraine's bad acts.

And so, all I'm saying is maybe lay off painting yourself as one who focuses on the "objective substance of issues."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:19 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:11 pm Is your point that the Dems border policies are xenophobic? Or that the Pubs policies weren't xenophobic back when they were being called that?

my point is that Dems and pubs both keep creeping further and further right about so many issues, and rather than be cognizant of it, so many otherwise-decent posters here would rather keep bickering along partisan lines. you know, that illustration when one fish turns to the other and asks, "what water?"

initiatives like suspending border asylum seems xenophobic, cruel, and at odds with the values upon which our nation was (supposedly) founded - regardless of whether it's dems or pubs doing it.
Dems having and enforcing a policy on immigration isn't "creeping further and further to the right" unless you go by the GOP horseshit narrative that what the Dems want is a wide open border. Which is of course complete bullshit.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:52 pm

Dems having and enforcing a policy on immigration isn't "creeping further and further to the right" unless you go by the GOP horseshit narrative that what the Dems want is a wide open border. Which is of course complete bullshit.
You don't move the Overton window back toward the center by stopping pulling on it from the side it's farther away from.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I’ll believe Republicans are serious about the border and immigration when I see Abbott and DeSantis jail employers for breaking the law by hiring undocumented workers. Until then, they and the rest of the Republicans will continue to prove that their only motivation to keep the issue front and center is to feed the hatred of their racist base.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:33 pm
reported.

It's not an attempt to troll. It goes right to how you go about forming and then expressing opinions on things.

Specifically, you're here lecturing us on how we should focus on the "objective substance of issues." Meanwhile, you are (in another thread) in a two-and-a-half-year-and-running temper tantrum that basically boils down to you giving credence to Putin's talking points justifying his war on Ukraine and its citizens. That temper tantrum has included, multiple times, things like you taking the fact of a genocide investigation Ukraine asked for as evidence of Ukraine's bad acts.

And so, all I'm saying is maybe lay off painting yourself as one who focuses on the "objective substance of issues."
sir, this is the immigration thread.

your post here does little more than illustrate just how recklessly narrow you are with your views. And, in bringing shit like this up in an unrelated thread, illustrate how antagonistic you are in pushing as much.

as tempted as I am to respond to each of your own misrepresentations and falsehoods, I'm not going to, because 1. this is not the right thread for it, and 2. I already have! Over and over again! And look what good it did!

that (2) is also largely why I hardly touch the discussion (in another thread) any more...not that anyone has noticed. It's not that there haven't been issues worth discussing, cuz there have.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

when was border asylum suspended?

last i heard was that the actual rules were now having to be followed…that is, if you want asylum you must go to certain designated points of entry

given the already limited resources, and difficulty in securing more, a reasonable person might think it a good idea to have a rules-based system in place to have better overall control and monitoring of the situation
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:52 pm

yea, the GOP narrative that what the dems want is a wide open border is horseshit, indeed. And complete bullshit. It's a whole barnyard full of shit!

Dems are suspending asylum. And capitulating to the maga battle cry to Build! The! Wall! And waiving environmental regs to do so.

That's the sort of stuff that, as recently as last election cycle, was considered "further to the right" than dems were expected to go.

And yet, here we are.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:00 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:33 pm

reported.

sir, this is the immigration thread.

your post here does little more than illustrate just how recklessly narrow you are with your views. And, in bringing shit like this up in an unrelated thread, illustrate how antagonistic you are in pushing as much.

as tempted as I am to respond to each of your own misrepresentations and falsehoods, I'm not going to, because 1. this is not the right thread for it, and 2. I already have! Over and over again! And look what good it did!

that (2) is also largely why I hardly touch the discussion (in another thread) any more...not that anyone has noticed. It's not that there haven't been issues worth discussing, cuz there have.
Unrelated, eh? Not according to someone I know.
ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:58 pm I mean, if you really wanna consider the history behind this particular issue...

dems were pushing for, of all things, more money to the war machine.

Pubs held out unless they got the tougher border policies they wanted.

Dems conceded the tougher border policies, and pubs blew up the deal anyway.

Then both parties agreed on more money to the war machine anyway.

And now dems are bragging about how they're tougher at the border than pubs.

and here I am, the only one left who can remember when tougher border policies were considered xenophobic, and the kinda stuff dems pleaded for our votes to counter, rather than champion as an initiative of their own.

Let me take another opportunity to request you guys search this very thread for "hollowed-out carcasses." The point remains oh so relevant to this discussion, and so many others.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean, I phrased that in a way I would hope would NOT derail this as another meltdown about Ukraine.

but, here we are again.

besides, you didn't even bother to search for hollowed-out carcasses!