What happened to the immigration thread?

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: What happened to the immigration thread?

Post by ousdahl »

What facts?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:08 amWhat facts?
The ones in the link in trad's post that I responded to. But I guess you couldn't see that one.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh.

Yea.

He suggested I ignore, and I obliged.

Sigh.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

if you ignore everyone you can live in a little bubble where everyone agrees with you and think everything is awesome and you're just incredibly intelligent and wise on all subjects.

just make sure you have someone develop and sell merch for you too so you can fund your self fellating tour of message board stardom
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I don’t expect everyone to agree with me, and I don’t think I’m particularly intelligent, nor wise.

If I was looking for an echo chamber, I would go seek some niche sub on Reddit or something. But I’m not!

The thing is, I do enjoy diverse and varying perspectives.

I just wish we could, like, discuss immigration without devolving into Putin parrot antagonism, which I consider to be trolling and have repeatedly requested a refrain from as much.

And even more generally, I wish we could do this without the petty personal attacks.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i'll start:

as it pertains to the illegals. as they scurry across in the dead of night. catch em. place them in a giant catapault. fling them back to where they came.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:30 am i'll start:

as it pertains to the illegals. as they scurry across in the dead of night. catch em. place them in a giant catapault. fling them back to where they came.
So clever.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

nm
Last edited by KUTradition on Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Overlander wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:31 am

So clever.
I wish we could do this with all the KU parents when they invade Lawrence each fall (and other times)
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:33 am
Overlander wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:31 am

So clever.
I wish we could do this with all the KU parents when they invade Lawrence each fall (and other times)
Grumpy old man?
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dangit trad, if you want me to ignore you then fine, but please then also oblige my suggestion of refraining from quoting me when you know I’m ignoring you otherwise.

For real, that’s straight outta the vintage illy 1.0 playbook.

And I still think you’re better than that.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:26 am I don’t expect everyone to agree with me, and I don’t think I’m particularly intelligent, nor wise.

If I was looking for an echo chamber, I would go seek some niche sub on Reddit or something. But I’m not!

The thing is, I do enjoy diverse and varying perspectives.

I just wish we could, like, discuss immigration without devolving into Putin parrot antagonism, which I consider to be trolling and have repeatedly requested a refrain from as much.

And even more generally, I wish we could do this without the petty personal attacks.
More friendly advice:

They/we know what you want. You don't have to keep repeating it. It's not going to help your situation.

Ok, back to work so I can make my tee time. Good luck.

(I'll overlook the illy 1.0 shot above)
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:02 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:52 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:19 pm

my point is that Dems and pubs both keep creeping further and further right about so many issues, and rather than be cognizant of it, so many otherwise-decent posters here would rather keep bickering along partisan lines. you know, that illustration when one fish turns to the other and asks, "what water?"

initiatives like suspending border asylum seems xenophobic, cruel, and at odds with the values upon which our nation was (supposedly) founded - regardless of whether it's dems or pubs doing it.
Dems having and enforcing a policy on immigration isn't "creeping further and further to the right" unless you go by the GOP horseshit narrative that what the Dems want is a wide open border. Which is of course complete bullshit.
yea, the GOP narrative that what the dems want is a wide open border is horseshit, indeed. And complete bullshit. It's a whole barnyard full of shit!

Dems are suspending asylum. And capitulating to the maga battle cry to Build! The! Wall! And waiving environmental regs to do so.

That's the sort of stuff that, as recently as last election cycle, was considered "further to the right" than dems were expected to go.

And yet, here we are.
"Dems are suspending asylum. "

That, of course, is not true. As per usual, there is way more to it than your simpleton statement.

"Under this order:

Migrants who cross without authorization — absent exceptional circumstances — would not be eligible for asylum, and subject to expdited removal.

The new rule raises the threshold to grant an asylum hearing based on a credible fear claim, that is when a migrant manifests fear of prosecution or torture in their native country or country of removal.

The restrictions will remain in place until 14 days after the seven-day average of illegal crossings drops below 1,500. The measures will go back into effect once the number reaches 2,500."

https://www.npr.org/2024/06/04/nx-s1-49 ... %202%2C500.

It is not just "suspended" as if no one is getting granted asylum. More than a thousand people PER DAY are granted the opportunity to apply for asylum.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Wait, what? I thought that Giant Wall which Mexico paid for fixed that problem?!?!?!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:28 am back to non-childish things…

https://newrepublic.com/article/184507/ ... ation-data
Hopefully Oussie actually READS that, along with the White House press release from last December linked within it.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... -mexico-2/
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Twocoach, fair enough.

“Suspended” wasn’t a good word for that. I thought of that as soon as I posted, and figured someone would catch it, so good catch.

“Limited” or “restricted” or something prob a better term.

Either way, human rights organizations aren’t pleased. And still seemingly at odds with our nation’s values
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:18 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:02 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:52 pm

Dems having and enforcing a policy on immigration isn't "creeping further and further to the right" unless you go by the GOP horseshit narrative that what the Dems want is a wide open border. Which is of course complete bullshit.
yea, the GOP narrative that what the dems want is a wide open border is horseshit, indeed. And complete bullshit. It's a whole barnyard full of shit!

Dems are suspending asylum. And capitulating to the maga battle cry to Build! The! Wall! And waiving environmental regs to do so.

That's the sort of stuff that, as recently as last election cycle, was considered "further to the right" than dems were expected to go.

And yet, here we are.
"Dems are suspending asylum. "

That, of course, is not true. As per usual, there is way more to it than your simpleton statement.

"Under this order:

Migrants who cross without authorization — absent exceptional circumstances — would not be eligible for asylum, and subject to expdited removal.

The new rule raises the threshold to grant an asylum hearing based on a credible fear claim, that is when a migrant manifests fear of prosecution or torture in their native country or country of removal.

The restrictions will remain in place until 14 days after the seven-day average of illegal crossings drops below 1,500. The measures will go back into effect once the number reaches 2,500."

https://www.npr.org/2024/06/04/nx-s1-49 ... %202%2C500.

It is not just "suspended" as if no one is getting granted asylum. More than a thousand people PER DAY are granted the opportunity to apply for asylum.
I actually think this suspension of asylum (under the circumstances you mentioned) HELPS the people who are going about it the correct way to be granted their asylum.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:25 am Twocoach, fair enough.

“Suspended” wasn’t a good word for that. I thought of that as soon as I posted, and figured someone would catch it, so good catch.

“Limited” or “restricted” or something prob a better term.

Either way, human rights organizations aren’t pleased. And still seemingly at odds with our nation’s values
It's okay to admit when you weren't aware of something. It happens to all of us. Not sure anyone is going to buy the "I used the wrong word" excuse.

This is what happens when understanding of a complex topic is surface level. I've seen the "asylum is suspended" memes and propaganda too.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:23 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:28 am back to non-childish things…

https://newrepublic.com/article/184507/ ... ation-data
Hopefully Oussie actually READS that, along with the White House press release from last December linked within it.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... -mexico-2/
Wait, did we really just enter the “let’s call out posters for not reading links from other posters they were supposed to ignore” phase of having one’s cake and eating it too?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if q really cared, it wouldn’t have mattered if he read the link or not. he would’ve adulted and actually educated himself about a topic prior to wading in with ignorance and social media memes

but alas…

different thread; same bullshit childishness
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?