What happened to the immigration thread?

Ugh.
DeletedUser

Re: What happened to the immigration thread?

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:38 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:23 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:28 am back to non-childish things…

https://newrepublic.com/article/184507/ ... ation-data
Hopefully Oussie actually READS that, along with the White House press release from last December linked within it.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... -mexico-2/
Wait, did we really just enter the “let’s call out posters for not reading links from other posters they were supposed to ignore” phase of having one’s cake and eating it too?
This is one of those posts that you should avoid if you want things to change around here.

(Running out of friendly advice, but looks like I'm going to make my tee time now that my work is finished other than the 1hr45min drive back to civilization...so ive got that going for me)
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:25 am Twocoach, fair enough.

“Suspended” wasn’t a good word for that. I thought of that as soon as I posted, and figured someone would catch it, so good catch.

“Limited” or “restricted” or something prob a better term.

Either way, human rights organizations aren’t pleased. And still seemingly at odds with our nation’s values
I don't give a fuck whether some human rights group is pleased or not. You can find a random group who "isn't pleased" about the best of decisions.

As for this --> "And still seemingly at odds with our nation’s values"... is there some sort of list of these values somewhere? Or is that list your list that you're just applying it to "our nation"?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the latter
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:38 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:23 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:28 am back to non-childish things…

https://newrepublic.com/article/184507/ ... ation-data
Hopefully Oussie actually READS that, along with the White House press release from last December linked within it.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... -mexico-2/
Wait, did we really just enter the “let’s call out posters for not reading links from other posters they were supposed to ignore” phase of having one’s cake and eating it too?
A smart ass comment instead of taking the time to read the information and comment on it. Shocking. This is why you find yourself having to post 300 "stop picking on me" posts a day.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:31 pmthe latter
I think we have all seen that trying to create an agreed upon list of "our country's morals" based on our own US Constitution is a challenge for Constitutional lawyers and judges, let alone everyday shmoes like us.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Know that inscription on the Statue of Liberty like, “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free…?”

I think it’s time to update it

With this:
twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:30 pm I don't give a fuck whether some human rights group is pleased or not.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:43 pm Know that inscription on the Statue of Liberty like, “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free…?”

With this:
twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:30 pm I don't give a fuck whether some human rights group is pleased or not.
Yet another smart ass comment instead of taking the time to read the information and comment on it. Shocking.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

child
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:36 pm
I think we have all seen that trying to create an agreed upon list of "our country's morals" based on our own US Constitution is a challenge for Constitutional lawyers and judges, let alone everyday shmoes like us.
I come at this from a very particular point of view, but - I would think there is no clearer statement of our founding "morals" than this:

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/ ... transcript

And of course we're gleefully shredding the functions of our government that were intended to support those "morals."
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:50 pm
twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:36 pm
I come at this from a very particular point of view, but - I would think there is no clearer statement of our founding "morals" than this:

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/ ... transcript

And of course we're gleefully shredding the functions of our government that were intended to support those "morals."
but that doesn’t fit into a meme
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Arizona customs officers seized four million blue fentanyl pills weighing in at more than 1,000 pounds at the Lukeville border crossing in what is the largest single fentanyl seizure in the history of the agency responsible for securing the nation’s borders. U.S. Customs and Border Protection announced the seizure Thursday, but it happened a month earlier on July 1.

A CPB press release, issued yesterday, this seizure resulted from an American citizen who crossed the border, obtained the fentanyl, and allegedly tried to smuggle them into the United States by packing them to the frame of a sport recreational vehicle.

I realize that for the former president and his party, the repetition of the “open borders” phrase is habitual to the point of being mindless. For all intents and purposes, Republicans no longer know or care if the claim is true — or was ever true. It’s simply what the party has decided voters are supposed to believe…
Last edited by KUTradition on Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:16 pm
Arizona customs officers seized four million blue fentanyl pills weighing in at more than 1,000 pounds at the Lukeville border crossing in what is the largest single fentanyl seizure in the history of the agency responsible for securing the nation’s borders. U.S. Customs and Border Protection announced the seizure Thursday, but it happened a month earlier on July 1.

A CPB press release, issued yesterday, this seizure resulted from an American citizen who crossed the border, obtained the fentanyl, and allegedly tried to smuggle them into the United States by packing them to the frame of a sport recreational vehicle.
Thanks Joe
Broham
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Think the cartels are idiots? They know that it's far easier for an American to smuggle something than a non-citizen.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:43 pm Know that inscription on the Statue of Liberty like, “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free…?”

With this:
Looks like we chose more of the same today, instead if take some illy advice?

Dang.

Tomorrow is a new day.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:49 pm

With this:
Yet another smart ass comment instead of taking the time to read the information and comment on it. Shocking.
Forgive the smartassery. It’s something I’ve always been, and for years other posters seemed to see the fun in it, until the relatively recent political disagreements.

Let’s also not let the smartassery be an excuse to avoid the points I’m making: that it wasn’t really long ago when more voters, particularly liberal-leaning voters, had more concern for things like human rights.

I’m afraid this battle for which party can be tougher at the border is evidence of the maga cult’s toxic influence reaching further than just among Trump voters.

Per your request, I read trad’s link. It’s news to me that much of the decline in U.S. border crossings is due to Mexico bussing migrants back south. I’d be curious to learn how much role Biden played in that. I’m also curious whether any root causes were ever determined. And I’m curious about the parole programs, and how all this might affect the progressive vote - or whether the progressive vote might affect the election (does ANYONE give a fuck about human rights any more?)

I’ll admit, I didn’t read the transcript you linked. Not the entire thing, at least. It’s pretty long. Did you read it? What’s it get at?

Does it elaborate on Biden’s role in the Mexican initiatives to bus migrants south? What happens to the migrants once they get bussed down there? And does it compare and contrast with U.S. mayor’s initiatives to bus/fly migrants to other sanctuary cities and such?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

aka, do his work for him

jfc
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:11 pm aka, do his work for him

jfc
well oh geez, come on man...it's pretty long! Can you condense that into 30 seconds or less, with a minimum of 4 really cool sounding buzz words so I can sound really smart at the bar tonight when I use them incorrectly with my imaginary bumble babe?

bonus points if you can somehow stuff condescending into the discourse.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:02 pm
until the relatively recent political disagreements.
Almost 3 years is not considered recent.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:28 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:11 pm aka, do his work for him

jfc
well oh geez, come on man...it's pretty long! Can you condense that into 30 seconds or less, with a minimum of 4 really cool sounding buzz words so I can sound really smart at the bar tonight when I use them incorrectly with my imaginary bumble babe?

bonus points if you can somehow stuff condescending into the discourse.
bro…i dunno. sounds kinda gaslighty
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:29 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:02 pm
until the relatively recent political disagreements.
Almost 3 years is not considered recent.
“Relatively”

I been message boreding damn near 20 years now.

And I still retain some hope all this bickering too will pass.