Kids

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Kids

Post by pdub »

I'm putting in work early.
It's paying off - she won't sleep without her Jayhawk blanket.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

And who would, pdub? That is true security like the First Kansas Infantry
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I took said teenage daughter to a game a few weeks ago. While passing the time until the real pregame stuff, we had a conversation.

Guppy: Should I play French Horn again next year?
Fish: Do you have to play an instrument next year?
Guppy: My friends are in Band and I don’t like any of the choices really, so I guess.
Fish: Ok, then you might as well play something you already know.
Guppy: I also heard that French Horn is a good way to get a scholarship because it’s not very popular.
Fish: (puzzled) Do you want to be in the band in college?
Guppy: No.

God they’re idiots sometimes.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Kids say the darndest things....

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3kcp_sL ... _copy_link

Then this comment came along and I laughed so loud I think I probably woke up my neighbor.

"She heard all of that from the dentist. 😳"
randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:10 pmJuneteenth sucks.
Juneteenth still sucks.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Today's edition of America's Yoots.

https://twitter.com/ChicagoContrar1/sta ... 8541564030
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Problem is, we have shitty cops who abuse their power of force when it's not necessary and that, in an age of video recording, puts a damper on average/good cops who don't want to escalate when necessary.

If the police here had escalated to pepper spray, for me it would have been more than justified, even if they are kids/people under age 18...though that act would surely have caused a public outcry on social for a few days.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:35 am Problem is, we have shitty cops who abuse their power of force when it's not necessary and that, in an age of video recording, puts a damper on average/good cops who don't want to escalate when necessary.

If the police here had escalated to pepper spray, for me it would have been more than justified, even if they are kids/people under age 18...though that act would surely have caused a public outcry on social for a few days.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

I say this too often.....
I will NEVER forget during the George Floyd "riots" in Chicago - seeing people walk up to law enforcement officers and yell fuck you in their faces, but even worse, I witnessed people spit in the faces of the law enforcement officers and throw glass bottles and heavy rocks at them.
They were on a "stand down". In the 70s, the Police would have beaten the living shit out of them.
I don't advocate for making a difficult situation worse and I don't feel violence should be dealt with by using worse violence but at some point people need to suffer the consequences for their actions.
That's what so many people are pissed off about in Chicago. These kids know they can get away with the shit they do - so they do it - knowing nothing will happen to them.

Our fucking Mayor....

https://fb.watch/sKD_Z5KGdM/
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m starting to get it now.
Took a while and I was way way on the opposite spectrum of “why the fuck would you ever do this” but yea, kids, if they are yours, kinda rule.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Was grocery shopping and a four year old sitting in a cart bellowed about something his mom denied him for 30-minutes all over the store. His mom stood strong, but it was humiliating. It is never as easy as ot seems on good days.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

this summer has been a true test of patience. 21 days until school starts...ha

wouldn't change it though, I have a lot of fun with them and I'll miss it as they grow. But, it isn't without its frustrations and outright slam my head against a wall moments
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:40 pm this summer has been a true test of patience. 21 days until school starts...ha

wouldn't change it though, I have a lot of fun with them and I'll miss it as they grow. But, it isn't without its frustrations and outright slam my head against a wall moments
My granddaughters start school a week from tomorrow, Monday, Aug 12th. I've never heard of school starting so early.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 4:04 pm I’m starting to get it now.
Took a while and I was way way on the opposite spectrum of “why the fuck would you ever do this” but yea, kids, if they are yours, kinda rule.
That's cool, to have made that transition.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:40 pm this summer has been a true test of patience. 21 days until school starts...ha

This will be the only year I’ve got kids in elementary, middle and high school. T&P, etc.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Shirley wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:13 pm

My granddaughters start school a week from tomorrow, Monday, Aug 12th. I've never heard of school starting so early.
My daughter starts this Thursday. Earliest I can ever remember it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:40 pm wouldn't change it though, I have a lot of fun with them and I'll miss it as they grow. But, it isn't without its frustrations and outright slam my head against a wall moments
No doubt.
For me, now that the kid can communicate and has a personality, the wins/gains are higher than the losses and it wasn't like that earlier ( people/parents are probably told not to say this kind of stuff but I think that's silly if you don't feel that way ).

It's like a favorite sports team -- first couple years ( again for me ) there was a lot of loosing but you still love them and support them. Recently my team has been picking up some big wins and when they f up, it's still frustrating, but you're like, yea but how about that OT victory in the Super Bowl?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the children are the future.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:27 am
TDub wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:40 pm wouldn't change it though, I have a lot of fun with them and I'll miss it as they grow. But, it isn't without its frustrations and outright slam my head against a wall moments
No doubt.
For me, now that the kid can communicate and has a personality, the wins/gains are higher than the losses and it wasn't like that earlier ( people/parents are probably told not to say this kind of stuff but I think that's silly if you don't feel that way ).

It's like a favorite sports team -- first couple years ( again for me ) there was a lot of loosing but you still love them and support them. Recently my team has been picking up some big wins and when they f up, it's still frustrating, but you're like, yea but how about that OT victory in the Super Bowl?
I agree wholeheartedly that it gets way more fun as they become their own people.

Which introduces one of the broader concerns that is always close to top of mind for me - I am a very bad play-er. Probably due to my job, and other things that are personal to my background and development, I just naturally avoid things that are frivolous or silly.

And I worry, a lot, about how to balance a guppy’s need for the exploration that comes with frivolity and silliness with another thing I know to be true, which is that the best version of me to give the guppies is an authentic one.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:08 am
pdub wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:27 am
No doubt.

I agree wholeheartedly that it gets way more fun as they become their own people.

Which introduces one of the broader concerns that is always close to top of mind for me - I am a very bad play-er. Probably due to my job, and other things that are personal to my background and development, I just naturally avoid things that are frivolous or silly.

And I worry, a lot, about how to balance a guppy’s need for the exploration that comes with frivolity and silliness with another thing I know to be true, which is that the best version of me to give the guppies is an authentic one.
There's a hanging breaking ball right there I could have smashed but instead i'll say, hopefully with time you're finding a way to cut lose.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The most obvious one would be our collective time here at what is ultimately frivolous and silly.

It’s a balance - I do very strongly believe that you need to give your kids an authentic version of yourself. One of the joys about the kids getting older is that - for me - I can give them more and more of that as they grow into figuring more of life out for themselves.

It’s much more authentic for me to respond to curiosity with learning rather than with make-believe.

And to be clear, I am very much identifying this as something I wish I was better at. And it’s something I absolutely do work on.