KC Road Trip for Negro Leagues Museum and BBQ

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: KC Road Trip for Negro Leagues Museum and BBQ

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:13 pm Does your daughter compete against JFish's son?
lol
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I was thinking about BBQ and this is first thread that popped up, so I’m posting here.

Having lived here 3 years again, now, I’ve come to the conclusion that most KC BBQ places really aren’t that good.

I’ll list off ones I have first hand experience with. I know there are several I haven’t been to, that many find delightful.

Overall, though, I find most of the offerings at most places mediocre, at best.

Bryant’s- always been my favorite. Now it’s mostly due to sentimental reasons. LOT’S of locals like to shit on Bryant’s, and I think much of that is hipster douche mentality. But, I don’t totally disagree wi th some of the hate. The burnt ends are horrible, the beef is alright, but not flavorful. I do love their fries, unlimited pickles for the taking, and their original sauce (I’m in the minority there. What bugs me most is that I like to get my sandwich old school style, with the sauce brushed on as they slice it. They have a sign up saying ask for it this way, but they won’t do it. Not for me. Not when I want it for dine in. They say, there is sauce in the table, and just simply don’t do it. Take the sign down saying to ask for it that way.

LC’s- Beef sammich is best in city, imo, and it’s not close. Sauce good too. Honestly haven’t had anything else because this offering is so delicious. I’ve been there 4 times. Problem with LC’s is that I don’t go to that side of the metro too often.

Gates- can I help you? No thanks.

Slap’s- overall my favorite, for most items. Do everything consistently. But, as stated, consistency in KC is a not too smoky flavor. It’s strange. Also, their original sauce is pure sugar. Spicy is good though. Don’t use much of either, it’ll absolutely hide the flavor of the meat. Oh, and get the baked potato casserole, or whatever it’s called. It’s fantastic.

Joe’s- their ribs are really good. Brisket is lame, burnt ends are lame, z-man has cheese on it is lame. Fries are typical and over seasoned. Sauce is my favorite local one to buy and use at home.

Woodyard’s- only ate there once and don’t remember much about it.

Q39- over priced for what you get (worse than most restaurants these days). Sauce not exceptional, and again meat not really too flavorful from a smoked perspective. An exception is their wings. Down right delicious. As well as the buffalo cauliflower (if it’s still on menu, not sure, it’s been a minute). Of the fancy pants places, this is my choice, but it’s meh to me.

Jack Stack- it’s fine. Baked beans are amazing. Meat portions are small, and prices reflective dark interior wood decor and high percentage of khaki and polo wearing clientele. Meat is not striking delicious. If you get a corporate event catered, you prolly getting Iack Stack (or Joe’s).

I might be forgetting some. I’d like to go to Danny Edward’s for sure, and Meat Mitch. Maybe if I get to airport early enough tomorrow I’ll try them out.

All in all, KC Q is good, sure, but it’s nothing too special. I hate to say that I like Texas style BBQ better, especially as it pertains to the smokiness/flavor of bark/overall flavor of meat.

When I have out-of-towners ask me where to go, I always say there are a bunch. To make it simple I say Slap’s has best overall food, and Bryant’s has my heart.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

KC BBQ is allsome.
Some thoughts from 99.

Favorites:
SLAPS, competed against these dudes and always lost. Talked to them and their Mom for a while. Great family and some of the best cue in KC.

Q 39, good stuff. Not a 'cue joint but they know how to cook meat and they are consistently good. The beans and brisket app is super good.

Joe's, also consistent. There's a line for a reason. They crank out top BBQ all day long. Ribs are great, brisket is good. I like the fries and there are plenty of them.

Woodyard. Great ribs. Cool atmosphere.

Brobeck's has the best ribs in the city. Overlooked gem. Get there.

Gates, served me the worst burnt end sandwich I've ever had. I think they scraped the bottom of the smoker and put it on a bun. My favorite sauce and best fries in the city.

BB's Lawnside. I wish they had better cue. Looks like Patrick Swayze is gonna kick some rednecks out any minute. Decent cue but not the best. Lindsay Shannon is da man.

Jack's Stack. Lamb ribs are allsome. Nice restaurant that happens to serve cue. I pissed off some lady online when I said it was a decent sit down restaurant that serves que, fine for tourists and soccer moms but not a serious cue joint. Seems she was a tourist and a soccer mom.

Bryant's, great when they're on. Nothing special when they are not. I like their sauce but I think I'm in they minority. They invented burnt ends and are an institution. Be more consistent.

LC's. RIP LC. Best burnt ends ever. Anything out of the fryer is good. Sauce is kinda bland. Best burnt ends ever. Yum.
Broham
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KC BBQ > Texas BBQ.
Im with Anthony Bourdain.
“Best BBQ in KC means it’s the best BBQ in the world.”

I’ve never had a bad meal at Bryant’s. I’ve been close to 10 times. It’s crushed it every time. Love their sauce.

I haven’t been in something like 4 years however.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This is the spot at the moment.

https://chefjbbq.com/
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 6:14 am This is the spot at the moment.

Looks good to me.
Broham
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

That looks really, really good.

I can say, without hesitation, that the last two times I had BBQ in town, it looked nothing like that. Joes, Slap’s.

Seriously, Joe’s was bad, and it seemed like Slap’s might have microwaved their meat after letting it smoke for 90 minutes as if they were running out.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Might try that today. Never heard of them but looks good.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

shindig wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:44 am

Might try that today. Never heard of them but looks good.
It's a til-it-sells-out sort of place.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:05 am That looks really, really good.

I can say, without hesitation, that the last two times I had BBQ in town, it looked nothing like that. Joes, Slap’s.

Seriously, Joe’s was bad, and it seemed like Slap’s might have microwaved their meat after letting it smoke for 90 minutes as if they were running out.
This surprises me. I'm not doubting you. They have both been the most consistent cue joints I have been to. I've never worked in a barbecue joint. I have no idea how you would time that much meat, which cooks at it's own pace, to come out when it's needed. How much, how many hours? How best to hold? Seems very difficult to me. It would be easier at constantly busy stores, but still, that's an art.
Broham
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I dunno. That brisket on that Sammie pic fish posted looks all kinds of right.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

yeah it does
Broham
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Selling out of certain items on random days can be a good sign...never running out of anything ever can be a bad sign.