Chiefs Offseason 2024

Kansas Football.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Chiefs Offseason 2024

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 5:01 am NFL players are a larger percent Christian than the general populace.
butker’s flavor of “Christian”?

i honestly don’t know, and may very well be surprised at the reach and relative ubiquity of such…extreme views
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.newsweek.com/faith-super-bo ... 0in%202018.

"More than 35 percent of NFL players are evangelical, about 10 percentage points higher than the nationwide average"

And of note, here is my quote:

"I also think more Chiefs players might side with much of what he said than not."
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

At this point I honestly don't remember everything he said. Was all/most of it extreme or just some of it? Not that it makes it any better.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think the one minute chunk on women was the most extreme and is what set people off.

"I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world...I can tell you that my beautiful wife, Isabelle, would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother. I’m on the stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation. I’m beyond blessed with the many talents God has given me, but it cannot be overstated that all of my success is made possible because a girl I met in band class back in middle school would convert to the faith, become my wife, and embrace one of the most important titles of all: homemaker."

He of course is wrong and this of course is stupid...but lol to the FIRE HIM crowd.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

It's interesting to me, because I too am/was much "more excited about the marriage and children I brought into the world". Funny he thinks that's just a female thing. And I wouldn't argue that I feel like my life truly started when I became a dad.

He just picked a terrible platform to say those things and also to make it a female thing, instead of a "remember, family and relationships are more important than job titles and promotions".
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

At age 22 I was definitely not most excited about marriage and children.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:00 pm At age 22 I was definitely not most excited about marriage and children.
Well, I wasn't all that excited about having to work either.

I was excited to party and try to hook up with girls, which is why i moved to the beach after graduating and worked at a golf course for barely above minimum wage for a few years. But that doesn't make for a good commencement speech either I guess.

I've always valued family over money. And especially over working. Working sucks. And I like my job.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Oh, I lean towards agreeing that Butker is radical Christian AF, but he didn't get to the nitty gritty of that in his speech.

I don't doubt he's likely the most crazytown Christian on the Chiefs.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Sort of seems like a lot of the very vocal religious people tend to also be the radical ones.

Maybe it's always been that way and social media and cell phone video has just magnified it?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Butker took shots at the pope that day. The spin about it being locker room Catholic talk was not really true either. Radical stuff. I was most disappointed by his lack of concern for others. And arrogance. But it all evens out. I just hope it is not during the season.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 8:11 pm Butker took shots at the pope that day. The spin about it being locker room Catholic talk was not really true either. Radical stuff. I was most disappointed by his lack of concern for others. And arrogance. But it all evens out. I just hope it is not during the season.
Meanwhile, when interviewed about his contract, he talked about not liking to be in the limelight, not liking being the center of attention.

Always the having and the eating too of the cake.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:22 am
Sparko wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 8:11 pm Butker took shots at the pope that day. The spin about it being locker room Catholic talk was not really true either. Radical stuff. I was most disappointed by his lack of concern for others. And arrogance. But it all evens out. I just hope it is not during the season.
Meanwhile, when interviewed about his contract, he talked about not liking to be in the limelight, not liking being the center of attention.

While I'm siding with you here just on gut feeling, we both could be wrong.
This has been hammered into people's heads who just don't understand this but he was speaking at a very Catholic school - https://www.benedictine.edu/about/values - in a State more religious than average.
It is possible he wanted to speak his word to an audience who likely would want to listen - and then his speech got latched onto by the digital world for all the world of clicks and eyeballs and angry posts it could provide.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:36 am

This has been hammered into people's heads who just don't understand this but he was speaking at a very Catholic school - https://www.benedictine.edu/about/values - in a State more religious than average.
It is possible he wanted to speak his word to an audience who likely would want to listen - and then his speech got latched onto by the digital world for all the world of clicks and eyeballs and angry posts it could provide.
I might buy that logic if this was hidden camera footage of a closed lecture or something. It was not. It was a graduation speech given in front of a large crowd.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

A graduation speech at a very ( small - a graduating class close to the size of my high schools ) religious school in a more than average religious state.
It's very well possible that speech was intended just for that audience.

I know people who don't like the limelight/being the center of attention but still have given speeches at respective things they believe in.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

If you go on a stage, stand behind a podium and give a college graduation speech, you should not have one gram of expectation of privacy.

What you say in that speech is fair game, even if you only "intended" the speech to be for like-minded people.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OK.
But he can still prefer not to be in the limelight/center of attention and not have expected this shit storm of ( what I think is overkill - but a lot usually is these days ) blowback.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:03 am OK.
But he can still prefer not to be in the limelight/center of attention and not have expected this shit storm of ( what I think is overkill - but a lot usually is these days ) blowback.
Oh I believe he didn't expect this shit storm of blowback.

I'm just saying he should have expected it, because it was (whether or not justified or overkill) perfectly predictable.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Thanks for the link:

...Given that many are touting Vance to be the future of the MAGA movement, and his appearance at an institution touting white supremacist talking points, one wonders what Vance envisions by the next 30 years of our supposedly pluralistic society being good for “Christian virtue.”

But to understand what Vance’s plans are for our country, we have to take a step back and consider his religious faith journey to discover what the people influencing Vance have planned for our country as they promote his rise to power.

It doesn’t take long to discover that Vance’s faith journey has taken him into a sect of Catholicism that’s run by Christian nationalist extremists. It’s a version of Catholicism we were introduced to earlier this year through Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker when Butker claimed his wife’s life started after she met him, converted to his religion and became his homemaker.

Butker’s views of the family and of women’s roles in particular are informed by his “radical traditionalist” Catholic theology, often referred to as “Rad Trad.” This particular sect of Catholicism was born as a reaction to Pope John XXIII and the Second Vatican Council deciding in the 1960s to transition the Catholic Church from using the Traditional Latin Mass in their liturgies into using the language people understood. While most Catholics were enthusiastic about the change, a small group of extremists opposed the change and began spreading conspiracy theories about gay Freemasons controlling the church and about the devil being afraid of Latin.

During the past half century, this group of radicals have become increasingly militaristic. In fact, Timothy McVeigh met with one of their priests from a fringe group known as the Society of St. Pius X the night before the Oklahoma City bombing.

Over the decades, TLM Catholics have continued promoting antisemitic propaganda, opposing Civil Rights, spreading QAnon conspiracy theories and equipping seminaries and churches with rifle ranges as training grounds for using weapons.

Their obsession with violence and public weapons training became so extreme that it led to an FBI investigation that was stopped by U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio and insurrectionist Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri based on “freedom of religion.”

While most Americans would be horrified to read about this group, men like Butker and Vance find it quite attractive.

“I attend the TLM because I believe, just as the God of the Old Testament was pretty particular in how he wanted to be worshipped, the same holds true for us today,” Butker explained. “It is through the TLM that I encountered order and began to pursue it in my own life.”

Of course, Vance’s wife is still Hindu. So not everything about Butker’s story parallels to Vance. But they’re both being indoctrinated by Rad Trad and so-called neocon Catholics...
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:36 am

...the Benedictine sisters of Mount St. Scholastica released a statement condemning Butker’s comments while claiming they “want to be known as an inclusive, welcoming community.”
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman