Gutter's 5 Quick Questions for Second Hand Wardrobe Day 8/25/24

Coffee talk.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Gutter's 5 Quick Questions for Second Hand Wardrobe Day 8/25/24

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

1. Do you own and wear any second hand clothes that you purchased either in a store or on/in an on-line "market place"?

2. When I see photos or videos of a crime scene where someone was shot, I often see random shoes on the ground. Why are there shoes on the ground?
i.e. Image

3. You meet a person of the opposite sex at a party who is a friend of a mutual friend. You are very attracted to the person in regards to both looks and personality. The mutual friend tells both of you how great the other person is. You go on a date with that person. You have sexual intercourse with that person on the first date. The person tells you they have had over 150 "partners". Does that have a negative affect on whether or not you want to have a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship with the person?

4. Do you "give something up" for lent?

5. Today is the Chicago Triathlon. I don't know the exact distances but let's say it's a mile swim, 25 mile bike, and 6 mile run. If you can swim a mile, how long do you think it would take you to complete the entire Triathlon?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Gutter's 5 Quick Questions for Second Hand Wardrobe Day 8/25/24

Post by jhawks99 »

1) No
2) I don't know why. There always seems to be one shoe though.
3) Yup
4) Not anymore
5) I'm too old for that
Broham
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

1. Yes. Should I be ashamed to admit it?
2. Only things I can think of are either trying to get away so fast they run out of their untied shoe/s (but I have never had that issue) or the police/paramedics pulled it off to treat a wound.
3. Yup (shout out to 99 for his answer to #3).
4. Nope
5. These are strictly guesses......Swim = an hour and a half (because I would probably have to stop numerous times). Bike = about 2 and a half hours (would probably typically do it in less but not after I swam a mile). "Run" = (I'm "running" a lot less than half of those 6 miles) an hour and 45 minutes.
Total = 5 hours and 45 minutes. If I'm lucky.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 7:27 am 1. Do you own and wear any second hand clothes that you purchased either in a store or on/in an on-line "market place"?

No. I don’t like the idea of wearing clothes that other people I don’t know have worn before me.

2. When I see photos or videos of a crime scene where someone was shot, I often see random shoes on the ground. Why are there shoes on the ground?
i.e. Image

Maybe they got knocked out of them?

3. You meet a person of the opposite sex at a party who is a friend of a mutual friend. You are very attracted to the person in regards to both looks and personality. The mutual friend tells both of you how great the other person is. You go on a date with that person. You have sexual intercourse with that person on the first date. The person tells you they have had over 150 "partners". Does that have a negative affect on whether or not you want to have a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship with the person?

Absolutely not. Nasty.

No.

5. Today is the Chicago Triathlon. I don't know the exact distances but let's say it's a mile swim, 25 mile bike, and 6 mile run. If you can swim a mile, how long do you think it would take you to complete the entire Triathlon?

I finished a similar one back in the day in about 2.5 hours.
Imagine a life so devoid of accomplishments that you feel the need to lie about working at McDonald’s.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

JKLivin wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:48 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 7:27 am 1. Do you own and wear any second hand clothes that you purchased either in a store or on/in an on-line "market place"?

No. I don’t like the idea of wearing clothes that other people I don’t know have worn before me.

i.e. Image

Absolutely not. Nasty.

No.

#5 - I give you credit and admire you for doing as such. Funny how I am saying that after being excessively harsh towards you in a post less than two minutes ago.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

1. Yes, no doubt about it. Not ashamed 1 bit.
2. Evidence I assume.
3. yes
4. Nope, never have. But...I'm not catholic, so no surprise there.
5. I'm fairly certain I can't swim a mile. I'm not a good swimmer.
Just Ledoux it
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:05 am
JKLivin wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:48 am

i.e. Image

Absolutely not. Nasty.

No.

#5 - I give you credit and admire you for doing as such. Funny how I am saying that after being excessively harsh towards you in a post less than two minutes ago.
It was 1992. I was younger and thinner and more motivated. I tried to ramp up to do one again a couple years ago, and my body just broke down. Those days are probably behind me.
Imagine a life so devoid of accomplishments that you feel the need to lie about working at McDonald’s.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

1. No
2. Because somebody lost a shoe
3. Yes
4. No
5. 3-4 weeks
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

seriously? you people all buy all of your clothes brand new? There's some quality shit that people get rid of, you should really check it out.

I mean, I don't have a ton but Ive found some nice work shirts, I've found barely worn pearl snaps, people get rid of barely used hunting shirts, carharrts...etc.

It's interesting to me, is there some sort of stigma about it I'm unaware of? Did I grow up poor and not know it? What's the story here?
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

1. I dont think I do any more.

2. Who knows, could be from a victim. Could be from someone fleeing the shooting and it got chaotic.

3. Not specifically but I would have some questions as to what ked them to needing that many different partners. It would certainly be a giant red flag.

4. No, I do not participate in religion.

5. The bike would be no problem but it would take me a long time to run thanks to my back and leg issues. And I hate running, it is not relaxing at all. My mind spins on 200 topics because running takes zero brain usage itself.
Last edited by twocoach on Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:54 am seriously? you people all buy all of your clothes brand new? There's some quality shit that people get rid of, you should really check it out.

I mean, I don't have a ton but Ive found some nice work shirts, I've found barely worn pearl snaps, people get rid of barely used hunting shirts, carharrts...etc.

It's interesting to me, is there some sort of stigma about it I'm unaware of? Did I grow up poor and not know it? What's the story here?
To be fair, I barely ever buy new clothes, especially since I started working from home and I rarely buy any clothes at full price. I hate spending money on clothes.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

1. yes, I am warshin my funeral/art opening shirts today. There is funerals on Mon and Tues of this week. I like odd hand embroidered eyetalian shirts. They is expensive. I go to Nordstroms and try on the $300-400 shirts for size and then go on ebay and buy them for $35. I end up paying the least money of my most "expensive" clothes that II wear the least often that way.

2. It is probably like the phenomenon of shitting yourself when you die. Not everyone does probably, but it seems to be pretty common. A lot of people's feet must temporarily shrink and their shoes fly off.

3. I am way past that stage in life. But I can't imagine the impulse to keep a "body count" or the impulse to tell anyone about it. Seems like a big red flag to me.

4. I gave up Catholicism for Lent decades ago. Never seen a need for an organized religion or a ritualized period of repentance/fasting ever since. I do find the rituals and symbols still fascinating though. A friend who is a Polish artist who also grew up Catholic, approached me recently about putting together a collaborative installation with her next year. I am thinking my contribution might be called "The Joyful Miseries".

5. No idea and don't care. Self imposed death marches are best done in the middle of nowhere without crowds or timers. I do enjoy testing myself and pushing myself to the edge of collapse, but the idea of an organized middle of a city triathlon is a pointless ego trip in my mind.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
shindig

Post by shindig »

1. Yes.i like Diesel jeans but I refuse to pay $200/pair, so I often buy gently worn jeans off eBay. Same with some shirts, like vintage western snap button.
2. What 99 said
3. Red flag
4. No
5. I don’t know if I would even finish the swim
shindig

Post by shindig »

TDub wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:54 am seriously? you people all buy all of your clothes brand new? There's some quality shit that people get rid of, you should really check it out.

I buy stuff off eBay all the time, especially Diesel jeans. I’ve always liked the fit of Diesel jeans, but refuse to pay $200+ for a new pair. I’ve bought gently worn Diesel jeans that look brand new for $40-$50. I have also bought some flannel shirts or western snap button shirts for $10-$20 that are practically new. Obviously I don’t buy used boxers or socks…lol, but I’ve picked up some cool Triumph motorcycle Tshirts that you can’t find anywhere else.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

1. Yes
2. The criminals missed the power line as they ran away.
3. Hell, it’d be more likely she wouldn’t want me back. Hotdog down a hallway and all.
4. No. Fuck Catholicism for many reasons.
5. I swam a mile in 45 minutes when I was 12. I biked 25 miles in just over an hour last year, and I ran a 10k in 47 minutes 6 years ago (a year before a heart attack, wheee). But, I doubt I could do all 3 today, in succession.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

1. Yes--I like military surplus for some things. And old ties--some of the silk screened ones are classics.
2. The most Gutter question of all time. He notices the shoe and makes an evaluation of cost, use, and source. Reminds me of Watson postulating about the soft revolver bullet fired by a rifle. Chaos, my dear Gutter. The loss of a shoe, by itself, is indicative of nothing. But in violent crime scenes indicates a flurry of life and death activity. Read my monograph on death scene body positions.
3. I hold nothing against anyone, but the lack of continuity indicates a sexual addiction that will eventually lead to a random shoe being in Gutter's line of site.
4. Not for lent, but some things from Cruchwraps to the NYT should be done without.
5. Had a friend die at one of these. No Thanks. Too much stress on even a younger person. Often these people do not appear healthy between events. Someone really must determine how much is too much for various physiologies.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

japhy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:23 am
5. No idea and don't care. Self imposed death marches are best done in the middle of nowhere without crowds or timers. I do enjoy testing myself and pushing myself to the edge of collapse, but the idea of an organized middle of a city triathlon is a pointless ego trip in my mind.
Bad take. At least the ego part.

I’ve never done an actual triathalon, but I did run a (1) marathon after I turned 40.

I was not super heavy by any stretch (about 15 pounds overweight).

I plugged in marathon trainer beginner in my Nike app in April and did 149 training runs leading up to a race in October.

One of my long runs I did in Chicago. 18 miles that week, along the lakefront. Was pretty awesome. I don’t remember if that was a trip Gutter bought me Portillo’s or not (for your memory,Gutter, it would have been both my wife and I).

But back to Japhy’s assertion about such things being ego trips.

For me, not at all. But it was super bad ass to be running downtown being cheered on as a non-elite athlete. Also, as a group of about 50 or so who ran out of glycogen with about 2.5 miles to go, it was great to have a group of other ‘walking dead’ to take turns jogging/running to the final stretch, lined by onlookers ringing cowbells and shouting things like ‘you’ve got this’ at us normal, complete stranger folk. As quite a cynic towards many endeavors, I’m glad I don’t share such a view here.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

There is a large contingent of people out there who want everything they own to be brand new for whatever reason. They discard good stuff long before it is worn out cuz they want something new again.

I wanted a $75k truck but don't see the point in spending that much on a truck when there was one out there that had everything I wanted for half that money. I only buy used vehicles.

There is a certain amount of satisfaction that comes from getting the good stuff for half the money. There is the puzzle to solve of how to find that good stuff and where to buy it for less. And yeah, I like to have a stash of money sitting around in case of hard times. Bargain shopping makes that more attainable.

The clothing I always buy new is my work (ie construction) and hiking clothing. I wear that stuff until it wears out and pay good money for it. The pants I am wearing today I have had for probably 30 years. On a backpacking trip I might wear these for 5 days straight.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 1:01 pm Bad take. At least the ego part.

But back to Japhy’s assertion about such things being ego trips.

For me, not at all. But it was super bad ass to be running downtown being cheered on as a non-elite athlete. Also, as a group of about 50 or so who ran out of glycogen with about 2.5 miles to go, it was great to have a group of other ‘walking dead’ to take turns jogging/running to the final stretch, lined by onlookers ringing cowbells and shouting things like ‘you’ve got this’ at us normal, complete stranger folk. As quite a cynic towards many endeavors, I’m glad I don’t share such a view here.
Ego is not bad thing. A lot of great things would never get achieved without it.

But a huge triathlon or marathon would feel weird to me. My sister has run in the Boston Marathon and loved it. I mean no slight to you or her, but for me it would be a pointless endeavor. That fact that you two have enjoyed those accomplishments is good. I suspect many things I value would seem pointless to you. That's not a judgement on either of us as people, it's just different values.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I agree with the different strokes sentiment for sure. Didn’t take as a judgment towards me at all.

That said, glad I don’t share your views here. It’s a cool experience.