Big tech political thread

Ugh.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: Big tech political thread

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:20 am
Sparko wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 10:01 pm Pulled. Because a lie.
How is it a lie when Zuckerberg himself says word got word that Facebook was being pressured by the government so censor certain things because it didn't support their narrative. Elon musk revealed the same things at Twitter.

I think it's just hard for you to admit that you are getting lied to by the people you so strongly support and campaign for
Your first sentence. Too much coffee or cocaine? "word got word"? "so censor"?
Ok, so Facebook was being pressured by the government to censor certain things that "didn't support their narrative". No one should be surprised by that. And? It's a double edge sword. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. The unfortunate thing is the power of social media to manipulate and influence people - with both facts and lies. Is censorship a good thing? Typically not but at times it probably is. Many people feel the 1st Amendment is black and white and defines what should and shouldn't be allowed in regards to "free speech" and "censorship". I'm not one of those people.
On a related note - Do you feel it is ok if Musk not only allows but supports and pushes an agenda on his platform where people (including himself) are constantly posting lies and misinformation to manipulate people in to supporting HIS beliefs? While I don't like it and feel it's dangerous, I have mixed feelings about my feeling if it should or shouldn't be "legal". I would feel that way no matter what agenda and political affiliation/s Musk has.
P.S. I'm pressured on a daily basis to "support a narrative". My assumption is that many people are.

Your second sentence.....
We are ALL getting "lied to" by politicians (& "government") we support and campaign for. No matter what party you/we support and campaign for.
My guess is the majority of people on here are fully aware of it.
Seems a few people on here either ignore it or at least don't/won't admit it.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Let the record show that I am aware of and admit that politicians lie.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

here’s an idea: maybe cease trying to get news from social media

the irony of randi posting an instagram link, which is basically facebook extended. how does he know zuck wasn’t pressured into THAT?
Last edited by KUTradition on Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

1) Complain that big tech and the media are lying to us
2) Believe everything big tech and the media tell you when it aligns with your beliefs
3) rinse
4) repeat
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Like everyone else during covid, my assumption is that both the government and many social media outlets erred on the side of caution. There were a lot of decisions that were made during that time that felt like they were being made with the advice of attorneys hoping not to get their clients sued rather than being targeted, purposeful and not overbearing.

This was the first large scale global pandemic of modern times. I hope the powers that be took notes; I think we'd all like it to be handled better next time. Instead of trying to force idiots not to be idiots, we need to figure out how to buffer the rest of us away from them so they can deal with the consequences of their stupidity while not negatively impacting others.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

(Of course, the original sin of Covid was the denialism, which led to overbroad restrictions out of necessity, which led to BUT MAH FREEDUMS and so on.)
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the china fungus. biden/harris/democrat. they were complicit in architecting one the greatest clusterphucques in the history of the world.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

shut up, delusional idiot troll
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Facebook is overrun by bots and disinformation and Randy bitches about censorship. Of Russian content? Or conspiracy mongers?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i doubt he even knows
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:52 am the china fungus. biden/harris/democrat. they were complicit in architecting one the greatest clusterphucques in the history of the world.
You are aware, of course, that at the relevant time Harris was a member of the Senate minority, and Biden was out of government altogether.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Shirley wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:41 am The sooner the Government modifies the social media company Get Out of Jail Free card, i.e., Section 230, the better for our society.
Oof.
No no no no no.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:30 am 1) Complain that big tech and the media are lying to us
2) Believe everything big tech and the media tell you when it aligns with your beliefs
3) rinse
4) repeat
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

yes. because the gov't has done such a great job modifying the social medias in china and north korea and cuba and russia and vietnam. good idea.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Wut
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Shirley wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:12 am Let the record show that I am aware of and admit that politicians lie.
Noted. Some of our fellow posters are more blindly obedient
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Nobody should be making excuses for the government pressuring social media companies to remove factual information because it inconveniences them
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:50 am
Shirley wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:12 am Let the record show that I am aware of and admit that politicians lie.
Noted. Some of our fellow posters are more blindly obedient
^^^

They should be sent to the re-education FEMA camps that Obama locked all those Republicans in right after he unplugged grandma.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Russian disinformation was bigly factual.
Broham
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:51 am Nobody should be making excuses for the government pressuring social media companies to remove factual information because it inconveniences them
what factual information?

i’m being dead serious. please link to a reliable source that cites the actual factual information you’re referencing